Ca Hwy 36, 140 miles of twistys

Bought a 6x10 trailer to haul my work quad but wadda ya know- Frank seems to fit quite well :innocent:

IMG_0036-1.jpg

I live in California, why the heck do I need to trailer a bike? Here's my driveway quite a few times last winter.

febsnow004.jpg

So to "test" the trailer I load up the bike and drive over to Red Bluff for the evening to get an early start on riding Hwy 36 over to the coast for lunch and cool off from the 103 heat predicted in the afternoon. Here's Frank bright and early ready to go.

IMG_0038-1.jpg

Is the sign for real? Yes it is! This is perhaps one of the best motorcycle roads on the planet for having some real fun. If you are ever in Northern Ca. this road is a must.

IMG_0044-2.jpg

IMG_0082-1.jpg

The fog had burned off just as I made it to Fortuna for lunch. It was a very nice 64 degrees so I was in no hurry to ride back the the oven called Red bluff. I decided to ride the Lost Coast Road, a 5 mile gem along the coast because hardly anyone is there.
Why so quiet? Because the road getting to and leaving the coast has to be one of the worst paved (if you can call it that) roads due to the unstable soil in this area. Plus it's to narrow for most rv's-YES.
After 40 miles of bumps I am getting there. Notice the road working down the hill under the fog? Even with the bumps it's FUN!

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

The fog was burning off just as I got there and this made the back and kidney damage worth it...

IMG_0154.jpg

Boots in the Pacific..

IMG_0151.jpg

What a great day, by the time I got back to my trailer in Red Bluff I had ridden 380 miles of twisty's and no performance awards :woot:

I'm impressed that you took Frank over Mattole Rd. I did that on my cruiser 5 years ago; great scenery, but won't do it again. LOVE Hwy 36. Heading down thataway next weekend to meet up with some gals and ride Lassen National Park...I'm hoping for at least some seat time on Hwy 36!

36 from the coast to Redbluff is awesome but from Redbluff to Lassen it's a snoozer. Post up some pics from the top of Lassen, it's going to get some snow on Wed. but should be melted off the road by Friday (we hope).
Mattole Rd 5 years ago was butter (yeah right) but I did notice much more gravel sections after last winter.

Heh, I live in Fortuna and have taken 36 numerous times . . . 36 to Hwy 3 to Hwy 299 and from there, you can take 299 back west (to home) or continue on 3 and take over the top of Scott Mnt and into Etna, where you have lunch at the Burger Bar. Home can be via 'Forks of the Salmon', to Hwy 96 and then turn 'left' and head to Willow Creek and then west (to home). I'm lucky, that there are so many roads that start here that are GREAT RIDES!

Next time you head this way, let me know . . .

Back