Buzzing and rattling plastics

EffZeeOne

When I got my FZ1 a little over a month ago, I was impressed with the lack of disturbing fairing buzzes and cheap-sounding rattles around the plastics like my Bandit had. However, now as the miles are stacking up, she's starting to exhibit some of those traits, especially rattling over railroads and similar bumps. I've tightened just about everything in sight, to no avail. Any advise?

easy fix

The first link above makes the fix seem very involved and daunting. Just remove your windshield and use some small pieces of thick rubber tape (headlight protector film or silicone tape) in between the triangular plastic "dash" and the fairing (just along the edge). You will be able to see where they are contacting once the windshield is off and you need only do these areas. It takes maybe 15 minutes and you won't have the buzz anymore. Some people have used self adhesive foam rubber, and that will work to, really anything with a bit of give will dampen the vibration and prevent the two plastic surfaces from coming into direct contact.

Yeah mines a buzz factory at certain RPM's too. Fortunately I am going to get the FZ1N Head light kit and the fairing will be gone!! :cowboy:

The first link above makes the fix seem very involved and daunting. Just remove your windshield and use some small pieces of thick rubber tape (headlight protector film or silicone tape) in between the triangular plastic "dash" and the fairing (just along the edge). You will be able to see where they are contacting once the windshield is off and you need only do these areas. It takes maybe 15 minutes and you won't have the buzz anymore. Some people have used self adhesive foam rubber, and that will work to, really anything with a bit of give will dampen the vibration and prevent the two plastic surfaces from coming into direct contact.

I did this originally, and had some success. HOWEVER, I believe the majority of the buzz is at the base of the vent. The top fix may solve some because it puts pressure on the base in just the right way to cure the buzz, but not on all. So the more involved fix may be required for some.

I wanted to update and say that this mod transformed my bike's auditory comfort (an '09). I had a Bandit that had the same issue, and I would actually change gears early - thus denying myself of fun - just to not hear that racket. The FZ1 wasn't quite as bad. Anyway, I'm rambling.

I wanted to say that the company below sent me a kick ass sample packet for FREE, and it had some nice black adhesive backed things in it of various density and sizes. This made the job super easy and not too horrible to look at, even though I'd like to redo it and try again for a better aesthetic. Dunno how many free samples they'll pass out, but it's worth a try. And because I'm an engineer by trade, I was glad to find this source for work stuff as well.

Free Samples

Some riders have complained about this since I joined back in late 2008 but I've never experienced it on my bike and I've had the inner fairing apart and back together four or five times when I was either working on the fueling or electrics. It appears to me that in the manufacturing process they us quite a bit of foam tape between parts to minimize ratteling and it could be that if it didn't get applied properly, the plastic parts may start to cause some noise. I do know that a lot of that tape does have a backing that can dry out and fail, especially if it's used on a surface that isn't smooth. It really is an easy fix with any of the previous methods. In the end, this type of maintenance is part of owning a motorcycle. The problem could be a lot worse, could be a valve through a piston.

Back