Brown spot and the skid mark or I’m not to happy with my Pirellis on cold pavement

Gian T. Balls

Yes this is what I told myself not to do, but when do I ever lesson to anybody. I know better that they do. Ha!
So the story goes kind of like this.
I went out for a ride on Saturday, because the storm was forecasted to hit So. Cal. on Sunday and last through out the week. A few mods had been done. Installed my new faring (was truly naked before), Did the air box mod and I had just put on my 15tooth front gear and was itching to try it. But I still do not have my FCE on yet.

I got all dressed up and out to the twisties I went. I was cruising at first. Up through the canyons. At first it seemed a little to under geared. It’s not bad when you’re on it. But for just a happy pace cruseing a lot. I was shifting a lot. After I made the first run to look for hazards on the road. I started to get on it a little more. Building up the speed. So as not to do anything stupid. As I came to this “shaded” tight corner. I setup for the turn in. Hard on the brakes… turn in and just as I was about to bring on the throttle. The front started giving way and a car was coming the other way. All I could think was “Great there goes the new faring and oh shit!”. I just kept my cool (not sure how) and slowly shifted my shelf back and added just a little throttle for a long but controlled front wheel slide. I looked in the mirror and saw the car had pulled over. So it must have looked as bad as it felt. Dam…. I got lucky and was proud that I kept my cool and stayed in it. I stopped at HWY 1 to clean out my shorts. Then Off I when.
Needless to say I slow my ass down a little after that. Though it wasn’t enough. I had been staying away from the Rock Store because there was a CHP car sitting and waiting to hand out invitations to go to court and give the Cal Gov. some much needed money. Well turns out that after a few Invites no one wanted to play. So he left to seek more people at a different location. The Snake was clear, and all the boys and girls hit the road. Racing back and forth.
For me I ride at a faster pace then most. But I try (oh I how I try) to keep it down. But even I with all my wisdom can seem to be drawn in to the ego of ”I’m faster then you are”. I had made a few passes. I normally try to not get in the groups, so as not to race. But not on this day. No. I had this guy on a New R1 follow me down the hill. He caught me because I got stuck behind a car at a point where you can not pass. At the turn around. He whipped in front of me. Oh no. I let him have a good lead so I wouldn’t catch him to quick. But after the 4th turn I was on him. So I hung back till the straight. I took him in the braking area, and proceeded to leave him behind. I was in the zone. After that I just let it all out. 8 turns later. Another shady area. I was exqueting my turning abilities when my talent ran out. I turned the throttle ever so slightly trying not to get that POP on throttle. Next thing I knew my ass was sinking. Oh shit. I was sliding. Not just a little slip. Hell no. We are talking a Full lock power slide. I’m thinking. This can not end good. So as not to be pitched of the high side. I grabbed the throttle and gave it everything till my pegs where sliding on the ground and I was sitting on my ass sliding, waving to my bike as it slid off with out me.
I again was very very lucky. All I did to the bike was a few scrapes, bent shifter and I broke of my sliders. But the sliders did their jobs. I picked the Bike up. Wiped off my ass and my pride. The bike started up and the guy I had passed just looked as he rode by.

Glad your okay. I'm just curious how many miles you have on the Pirellis? Did they have at least 100 miles or so to scuff in?

Yeah, I'm about 1500 miles into this set. The rear is looking like (after last weekend) it's time to start pricing a new tire. On the edge of the side I did the slide. There is a diffrent color of rubber at the outter edge. Diffrent compound perhaps?. I'll take a pic and post it some time as soon as I have a moment. It was funny because I wound think there would be, at lest some, rubber rolled out to the edge. But it was clean. Maybe it was cleaned off in the side. I did go full thottle to make sure I didn't high slide. That baby was spin'n. Or maybe on the ride home.

Last edited:
Ok I got the pictures of the tire.
picture.php

and
picture.php

you can see right at the last 1/8" of the itres edge is a lighter color.

Scout:
I do like the Michelin's Pilot Roads. When they do break lose. They are very controlable and normaly can bring them back under you. With out the High side bounce. Well, more then any other tire I've been on.

For the most part. I do like the Corsa III. This was the only time I've had a problem. It was just sort of a suprize when it happened. No warning. It just went.

Last edited:
gian, just judging by the photos, looking at the leading edge of the tire grooves, those tires look hard to me, compared to the powers. The powers leading edge slice off after 100 miles of twisties. That's what I'm use to looking at. I get 2/3k miles on a set, all twisties.

gian, just judging by the photos, looking at the leading edge of the tire grooves, those tires look hard to me,

I think you may be right. I'm going to check on some new tires wensday. I'll see if there is that much diffrence between a new tire and what I have now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an FYI. I was looking at this tire more. The info I found was. The date is 1409 (so it was made in 09) It is a 180/50 17 (i'm ordering a 190/50). It is just a Diablo, not a corsa 3.

Back