Brake rotors.. experience ??

Personally, I would rather take my chances with used OEM rotors than generic eBay rotors. These don't even have any brand or established name from what I can tell. It's a bit of a gamble with something like brakes.

I did some research for the 01-05 FZ1 before about what OEM Yamaha rotors fit your bike:

So I went through my brake spreadsheet from EBC and I found that the gen one FZ1 uses EBC: MD2074X

This is also used by:

97-07 YZF600
99-02 R6
06-09 R6S
97 YZF1000 Thunderace
98-03 R1
04-09 XVS1000 Silverado & Classic

I have always found that if the EBC parts are the same, the OEM parts are the same as well.

Last edited:
I've had a cheap chinese wave rotor on my rear wheel for about 25,000 miles now. I have had no problems other than accelerated wear when using sintered pads. Works great with organic pads.
newmuffler.jpg

Mechanic from the other forum uses these chinese ones (I didn't click on the link) as does some others. Non have reported any problems. Since I believe that every thing is made in china now a days, I'd just as soon as cut out the middle man.

His quote:
I have used the ones from China on my R1 for the last 50,000 miles. Put them on multiple bikes with no issues. Some have posted they had issues with shudder at very low speed just before stopping.

The thing with all rotors is they need time for the pads and rotors to bed in together.

If you try to hammer them before they bed in, you can create hot spots which cause the shudder. New rotors......new pads.
I also scrubb my rotors regularly to remove brake dust and glasing. It does make a difference.

I have really not had any issues with them and the ones on my R show little wear after those miles.

I don't think you can beat them for the price.

Personally, I would rather take my chances with used OEM rotors than generic eBay rotors. These don't even have any brand or established name from what I can tell. It's a bit of a gamble with something like brakes.

I have been looking for second hand rotors here in Iceland but haven´t found any yet, but i am still looking. used one would be the best solution for me since i only need one..

time will tell. It´s not like i am going anywhere, snow and ice everywhere..

Is it fairly inexpensive to order parts from the UK to Iceland? They would have an abundant selection of parts and suppose are your closest neighbours

Back