Brake pads

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
Who's got aftermarket brake pads with SS lines and the stock setup for calipers and rotors? What's good? What's not?

I have to be honest here... this is the first bike I've ever kept beyond the life of a set of pads.... most bikes have never made it beyond 2 years before the bug hit to get a new one. The FZ1? Still can't see a satisfactory replacement! :tup:

So, what brands and compositions are working for you all? Pros and cons? Are they good at stopping? Any fade? Are they noisy? Looking for some that stop well without noise. :cheers:

I have just changed out all mine for a set of gold fren , £40 sterling for front & rears cant fault them , had them on my busa too.
Imho not a great fan of ebc stuff , had problems in the past ,, ( another story )

I've tried a few different brands and styles of pad but always find myself going back to EBC HH Sintered pads (Part number FA380HH for the gen 2 FZ1).

I like the overall performance. There's an improvement in feel, more stopping power, no noise, not too harsh on rotors and well priced. The only cons I have found is that they do have to be warm to work well and they have poor initial bite when it's wet. I've had good success with these pads in all 9 of my past bikes.

I don't use them on the rear, though. I always use the cheaper EBC GG on the rear as the sintered pads aren't really suited for the rear I think. They don't have the feel needed to modulate the brake with a booted foot. And they're 'bitey' in comparison to the weaker GG :)

Last edited:
I've tried a few different brands and styles of pad but always find myself going back to EBC HH Sintered pads (Part number FA380HH for the gen 2 FZ1).

I like the overall performance. There's an improvement in feel, more stopping power, no noise, not too harsh on rotors and well priced. The only cons I have found is that they do have to be warm to work well and they have poor initial bite when it's wet. I've had good success with these pads in all 9 of my past bikes.

I don't use them on the rear, though. I always use the cheaper EBC GG on the rear as the sintered pads aren't really suited for the rear I think. They don't have the feel needed to modulate the brake with a booted foot. And they're 'bitey' in comparison to the weaker GG :)
I agree with Dustin sintered on front,there are usally a couple of different sintered types I use the less aggressive ones, stick with standard compound on rear ,I`ve too have found sintered on rear are hard on the smaller disc and make it too easy to lock up the rear under sudden braking,EBC are fine

Last edited:
You get more brake surface with DB pads and the ceramic backing helps keep the heat away from the calipers. There is no center grove on the DP pads like with EBC pads and that may have something to do with DP pads performing better and lasting longer. Glenn (RavenRider) uses a hack saw and slices an X in the face of his DP pads for wet weather performance but I don’t believe it’s necessary. DP pads still perform excellent in the wet and in my opinion outperform EBC and FERODO pads in all conditions. They are more money than EBC pads but I think you get more brake for your money with DP. As far as dust I'm not much into cleaning my bike so I don’t have much to add in that department other then I’m told there is little to no dust from the pads. One other thing I noticed is that DP pads are quite and I never once heard a squeal not that I would let that sway me either way. :)

After trying EBC and other pads years ago, I have always used OEM pads as the so called performance ones glazed the discs and performed very poorly in wet conditions. I don't want a pad that needs heating up as a road rider, you need to know that they will perform when needed.

After trying EBC and other pads years ago, I have always used OEM pads as the so called performance ones glazed the discs and performed very poorly in wet conditions. I don't want a pad that needs heating up as a road rider, you need to know that they will perform when needed.
All ways hard to go past the OEM ones,I think most people go for race type pads which are not suited for street work etc,I think most of the time this is the problem not the brand.

The only cons I have found is that they do have to be warm to work well and they have poor initial bite when it's wet.

[/QUOTE
This is one of the main reasons im not a big fan , as we get our fair share of cold & wet here , coupled up with their rotors on my ex busa I found that problem worse !! This of course is only my opinion ..

I use SBS 634 Street excel sintered brake pads :tup:
Very pleased with them, good feel and bite. And performs great in both dry and rain.

294980-vinterhygge-i-det-lille-vaerksted---scottoiler-montering-mm

You get more brake surface with DB pads and the ceramic backing helps keep the heat away from the calipers. There is no center grove on the DP pads like with EBC pads and that may have something to do with DP pads performing better and lasting longer. Glenn (RavenRider) uses a hack saw and slices an X in the face of his DP pads for wet weather performance but I don’t believe it’s necessary. DP pads still perform excellent in the wet and in my opinion outperform EBC and FERODO pads in all conditions. They are more money than EBC pads but I think you get more brake for your money with DP. As far as dust I'm not much into cleaning my bike so I don’t have much to add in that department other then I’m told there is little to no dust from the pads. One other thing I noticed is that DP pads are quite and I never once heard a squeal not that I would let that sway me either way. :)

That was a very good description and I appreciate it.

And thanks to all for your input thus far. Has anyone else used the DP pads with the same experience?

I've been reading a lot about the EBC HH pads and how people who are in medium to wet climates have problems with bite during rain. But also of concern is how they tend to squeal and it can last from 10 to 500 miles, sometimes more.

The OEM are OK and get the job done but I find that their life is a bit lacking and they fade more and more as they wear. That is the one thing that the EBC pads are not doing. I've read there is no fade all the way through the life of the pad.

Thanks and keep 'em coming!

-Eric

I am also a DP brake pad user. I have used many brake pads on my off road race bikes over the years. I find the feel and stopping power to be superior to the others.

I'm a fan of the EBC HH pads. I've had them on a number of bikes. I've not experienced any noise from them.

On the XV I had to use EBC Organic pads as they don't make the HH for the older brake calipers. When I installed them I had installed new EBC rotors too. They just didn't bite with way the HHs do.

I think for my next set of pads on the R6 I'll try Vesrah pads. Supposed to the 'da bomb. (Hey, if Bieber can be "pimpin'", so can I!)

KurveyGirl - Motorcycle Stuff: Dzus Fasteners, angled valve stems, Vesrah and More

I had the oem for 28k miles and they worked well (9k miles form previous owner).

I was a bit surprised when changing the front tire that the inner brake pads were down while the outer ones still showed 3mm. Since ordering OEM pads would have taken about 10 days I went with EBC HH sintered pads.

So far I do not see any improvement over the OEM. They were noise the first 1000 miles but I am not hard on the brake. I did not use them much in the rain since the raining season just starts here in NorCal.

I think I buy the OEM again, even with two up full loaded touring I had no issue with them when going over twisted mountain passes. I rode a lot of different bikes and find the Fz1 brake, ok but could use better brake feeling (I mean the brake power adjusting) but other than that they are very good. Had never a problem making a stoppie with them using the oem pads.

I have Galfer sintereds on all of my rides and have been very pleased with thier performance in all conditions. Quiet and predictable. I just might give these DP's a few of you are mentioning a shot.

Based on what was said here, I ordered the DP Sport HH+ pads and Solomoto Parts matched an Amazon price I found from Powersport Superstore. $39.04 per set and free shipping! $78.08 and on the way. Thanks to up_on1 for the excellent write-up!

Back