BMW S1000R or Apriia Tuono V4R or Super Duke 1290 or keep the Yamaha?

Sactown2008

Does anyone have any experience with the BMW S1000R, Apriia Tuono V4R or KTM Super Duke 1290?

Thinking of selling the 08 FZ1 and buying one of these three. Most pro reviewers said the BMW is the most reliable of the three and the KTM has issues with parts supply.

I have NOT figured out wether this is all ego, since my riding weekend friends own BMWs, Ducatis, and MV Agusta.

The wife really likes the BMW, "If you want that BMW, sell the Yamaha and buy the S1000R." I could not believe that when I heard it. The 2015 BMW S1000R lists at $15,450 in Sacramento, but two BMW dealers in Los Angeles have a 2014 for $12,950.

Maybe I just need some Track Day lessons to keep up with my friends on our rides to Napa.

Bike Night.jpg

That's a bunch on money to spend to find out you still can't keep up with your friends. I ride with people on all kinds of motorcycles and one of the quicker riders rides an old Honda CBR 600 F2.

For the regular Joe, the bike is only 5% of the equation. It's all about the rider.

The photo of your bike shows that almost 30% of your rear tire has never touched the pavement. If you're afraid to lean, you'll never go quickly. I'd suggest some rider training rather than a new bike; maybe you'll enjoy the FZ even more afterwards!

Last edited:
I agree with the others the bike does not make you fast. The Fz1 can keep up with the others on the road. I ride sometimes with A group track day riders but can easily follow them on the road (not on the track) and the fastest of the has a 600 gsxr. Go do some riding training do not do a track day from your rear tire you are not ready yet for the track.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

For the regular Joe, the bike is only 5% of the equation. It's all about the rider.

The photo of your bike shows that almost 30% of your rear tire has never touched the pavement. If you're afraid to lean, you'll never go quickly. I'd suggest some rider training rather than a new bike; maybe you'll enjoy the FZ even more afterwards!

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice from more experienced riders. Commuting 8 miles through downtown to work twice a week is not helping me as a rider. That back tire has all of 500 miles on it. I found a nail in my Conti Motion back tire (with only 3k on it). Dealers won't fix flats, so now I have a new back tire.

Seat time, seat time, seat time. I'll be down in your 'hood in July, maybe you can join me for some riding on my way to the meet-up in Colorado

If keeping up with your friends is the end goal I say invest the money into yourself. I can keep up or be held up by most people while riding my 88 Honda Hawk GT. California SuperBike School, Yamaha school of Champions, American Super Camp. Then start attending track days. Its not the bike.

Maybe I just need some Track Day lessons to keep up with my friends on our rides to Napa.

View attachment 22143

Yes, Yes and Yes. It's not the bike's fault you can't keep up. What's most important is to remember your friends have been riding much longer than you. Don't get sucked into riding above your head. A few days at the track is where you learn to ride at a brisk pace.

I was schooled yesterday by a good friend when he had a quicker pace on his BMW1150 than my KTM990 on Mosquito Ridge rd. (the KTM is the faster bike) At the point I was pushing harder than I liked on the street I just let him fade a bit. Ride your own ride.

Last edited:
I'm stuck riding in Florida, 11 curves in 318 miles. LOL

If you feel comfy enough, invest few $ on a Novice track day. I did 3 in the past few months with my FZ09 and learn more in those 3 days that I did riding around for the past 5 years (FZ6R = 48K + FZ09 = 14K)

And yes, I can keep up now with any 600s SS. ;) I was told by an instructor to step up to intermediate next time... was nice to hear.

go ride the roads around you ffs you're in sactown aka the center of cali aka one of the best riding regions in the world. also youre an hour south of thunderhill you arsehole go hit up one of the most fun tracks on the west coast!!!

you dont have a performance machine though, you have a touring machine thats fun on the track but an fz1 isn't a fast bike, never will be. it's not built to be. the suspension blows, the brakes blow, and the tune is horrible. however, it's more fun being fast on a slow bike, than slow on a fast bike. increase your skills, once you figure out to be smooth you can have a blast on an fz1

^what he said.

you're talking about a few different classes of bikes as well with different purposes so i mean its up to what kind of riding you do

They are all in the Super naked class, are they not?
To the OP, if you want a new bike and have the cash then go crazy.
My pick would be the 2015 Aprilia Tuono, they have all the bells and whistles and sound amazing; even with a stock exhaust.

Sent from my Nexus 5

They are all in the Super naked class, are they not?
To the OP, if you want a new bike and have the cash then go crazy.
My pick would be the 2015 Aprilia Tuono, they have all the bells and whistles and sound amazing; even with a stock exhaust.

Sent from my Nexus 5
Indeed they are. All are fun. The new Tuono 1100 is due out this summer in the US, it should be the cat's meow.

Many, many subtle refinements have been done over the last 4 years. It's an outstanding value.

Back