Bluetooth helmet vs Ear buds

Eric Lawson

I really enjoy listening to Music when riding but have yet to find a pair of ear plugs/buds that do a good job of keeping bass in and everything else out. Ive been thinking about a Bluetooth helmet and was wondering how well they worked? I know there are many brands available, but is a helmet with speakers really any better and worth the investment over plain old ear buds?

I have an O'Neal Fastrack blue tooth helmet. Above 60 you can tell that music is playing or if you are getting a phone call but it is not intelligible. There are newer versions out that I have yet to try. I won't wear ear buds though. Too much of a PITA.

My buddy and I bought the Scala Rider G4 set, I'm like you I enjoy music when riding, and we were really tired of hand signs on trips. It's the BOMB. Music is really clear, 70 mph AND a wind and the phone is really clear. It's the best set I've had yet! The cool part is it increases the volume with ambient noise, so when you come to a stop it turns down, up when you take off. Check it out, I really like it!!!

I prefer to not mix business with riding....it is my only escape.

I've worn nothing but earbuds, and have tried many. 40.00 for a pair of Zune has been the winner so far. they have good response, corded cable vs. the normal slick, black cable, and the different sized earbuds for adjustibility.

I'm curious to give the Beats by Dre earbuds a listen, just don't know if the price is worth it. BUT, when I tried on the normal head phones, none of the other displays came close to sound/clarity/response -- but guess that is why they are 400.00 also.

I like to listen to music when I ride also. However, I have never wanted to drop big money into a system. I just have a simple Ipod Shuffle and after playing with several kinds of systems I liked the Skullcandy earbuds the best. They seal pretty well that keeps a lot of the noise out. Plus they are less than $20 bucks.
LOL It's funny because I had a real nice set of earbuds that pulled lose from the wires after about a 2 weeks. LOL The cheaper sets have actually held up better.
Now I will say that the quality is not quite as good as what Missy described. However, we are talking about a $20 fix and I will say that the sound is pretty good. You can clearly hear the music at 70mph. You just have to get used to the feeling of squeezing the earbuds into your ears.
So as with most things - you have to decide how much money you want to sink into something.

Hi, newbie here

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and also am picking up my first bike this weekend, an 09 FZ1.. (I've seen what's been said about that.. :) )

Before getting to ride I've been trying plenty of different headphones and bluetooth for music and my phone... I just picked up these last week in order to solve the issue of being able to wear a helmet/ listen to music/ take calls/ and have the controls accessible for an itouch and droid x phone. I'll see how it goes.

LG Bluetooth Stereo Headset HBS-700 Review - Headsets - CNET Reviews

Just another option.

I am in search of the perfect ear, head, bluetooth, etc. system for my helmet. I don't like the helmets that have everything integrated but what I'd really like is a set that one could install inside the helmet because I love my Arai. SO, this is what I'm wearing now...

V-Moda's metallic Vibrato earbuds get Kevlar cable, in-line iPhone remote -- Engadget

That's right, I have kevlar in my headset! How safe is that? :)

Well they sound great, however, on long trips it sucks, the reason you may ask? The helmet shoves them into my ears, and it hurts like hell after a couple of hours.

This is what I think is the way to go.

Earinc/Insta-Mold - Competition Sports Monitors - motorcycle headphones and headsets

Read the info on this forum...I have also heard the same from some of my fellow rider buddies and while it is not a bluetooth, I think for me music is more important. I can call whoever back later :)

Custom earphones - ADVrider

i have about1.5gigs of music on my blackberry bold that i use the headphones that came with it for now, they do seem to get shoved into my head. I think im going to get Cardo Systems - RevZilla i like the fact that i can answer the phone or atleast hear it so i can pull over. (The wife worries about me, Mental issues and all).

I currently use Skull Candy earbuds as well. They aren't the best but as mentioned, fur $20 I don't care if I destroy them.

I've had Sure earbuds and they are really worth the money, but on a bike when I'm taking them on/off a lot, I prefer the $20.

I think a big part of this discussion is how much wind noise you have in your helmet. My current one sux and after riding an hour w/ no buds in my ears hurt bad. I'm buying a Shoei RF-1100 this spring, so hopefully that will help some of it.

I'm taking a ride to Deals Gap this spring w/a friend and he has the Scala G4 and wants me to get one. My only issue is I want ear buds instead of the speakers and have considered buying a decent pair and cutting/splicing them in. Those that have the unit, you see any issue?

buds

I've worn nothing but earbuds, and have tried many. 40.00 for a pair of Zune has been the winner so far. they have good response, corded cable vs. the normal slick, black cable, and the different sized earbuds for adjustibility.

i used a pair of shure E4C buds, definitely the best buds ive ever used under a helmet. i almost always ride with music, but since i got the fz i love the engine sound too much to use them :kinky

Up until I got the Scala, I used earbuds, and I use the same ones at work, AND at the gym, and for a nice sound and durability the 29.99 skull candys are the bomb. Never had a problem with them, even when I drop a 100 pound dumbbell on the chord. I wouldn't buy the cheapy ones though. They wouldn't last a day with me. :)

I've had the Scala G4 for about a year now and I ride nearly every day. It's great and I would buy it again if I had it to do all over again. However, if you get one don't expect the sound quality to be as good as a pair of earbuds. The bass is definitely lacking. This is not a hi-fi setup. That's the only disappointment I have with it. But, again, for all the other things it does, it's wonderful. Oh, one more thing: if you buy a bluetooth helmet, you're stuck with that helmet. I've already transferred my Scala unit from my HJC to my new Shoei. I like that option. Bottom line (IMHO): the Scala has lots of useful features but if you're an audiophile use earbuds.

I got a bluetooth helmet (I think it's a Vesa?) and it's awful. It may be because it's a low-end helmet (it was about $150) but you can't hear anything above 50 or 60 mph on a naked bike. I don't have a bike with a windshield (yet) so we'll see how it performs.

I'm sure higher priced helmets perform better, but how much? My earbuds sound way better than my helmet. The only thing it has going for it is easy answering.

I would like to listen to music while I ride. I tried some ear buds called Rocketfish. Above 30 mph I could not hear anything. I am wondering if my helmet is too loud? I have a Scorpion EXO 400.

I only listen to music on long journeys and it is then I use my sat-nav for that after loading it with an sd card with music onto it.I also bought some cheap £20 speakers from the net and they sound great better than some so called motorbike speakers.I like the sat-nav option as you can turn the sound up and down esp at traffic lights if you need to also it gives you more control my speakers are installed into both my helmets but not the same speakers though so I need to buy another of the speakers from london the same as before as they are good............ Helmet Speakers - £17.95 only!!

I would like to listen to music while I ride. I tried some ear buds called Rocketfish. Above 30 mph I could not hear anything. I am wondering if my helmet is too loud? I have a Scorpion EXO 400.

Only you would know if your helmet is loud to the air coming into it or turbulence of the wind (esp from windsheilds)on the outside,try an x-lite 601 or 602 or / and a schuberth R1 or S1 see if they are quiet some will allow you to test ride a helmet.Also music inside of the helmet is dependent on many factors which you will have to decide which to change.One is the device you play your music on does it have a loud enough sound level my sat nav is louder than my hd desire phone,also the type of speakers you use can also affect the sound you hear.I have some asus x power bass speakers and are not much cop compared to a cheaper speaker I use which is louder !!!!!Helmet Speakers - £17.95 only!!

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I thought it worth not starting a new one since my question is related.

My wife bought me some new ear bud headphones, I like them, they are comfortable to wear, but I cannot get them to stay put inside my helmet, they tend to fall out of the ear no matter how careful I am.

Many of you posted in this thread that you use ear buds, but no one seemed to have any issues with them falling out of the ears (from what I have seen here)

So, what is the trick?

I just order some "helmet speakers" since they are pretty cheap on amazon.

Last edited:
I can't wear earbud speakers, as the either fall out, or have me in agony taking my lid off.
I've used helmet speakers in one form or another for the past few years, and I can't fault them. I made my own loom and connections for an ipod shuffle, and used that for a year or so with good results.
Got a cheap "vimoto" Bluetooth kit off eBay now, and used it every day for the past 8 months. It's brilliant! Clear music up to and well beyond legal speeds, I've even been on the phone at over 80mph clear as a bell. There's no substitute for me.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Back