blackbird shock in fz1 gen2??

you know when you have a thought but not sure if its ridiculous or inspirational?....

as above, anyone knows or tried a bb shock in fz1?

my thoughts are

its 320mm same as fz1

spring rate is 16.9kg apparently

adjustable

so...

will one fit, ie bolt sizes the same? and is it a viable option or should i just get a nitron/hyperpro/hagon??

ive read all the debate on the r1 shock in fz1 gen2...

mainly regarding shock length and ride height, which year etc

seems a bb shock could sneak in there without all the faff?????

There is zero improvement to be gained if not a less quality unit. The BB was never noted for it suspension. What are you looking for a shock for better touring ability or better handling or does yours just seem undersprung?

bb shock cant be worse than fz1 unit...

i see a lot of vfr/vtec riders upgrade to bb shock

honda quality on a zzr/hayabusa league bike shouldnt be too shoddy afterall

me, keeping options open but handling could be tighter

but i can drop yokes 5mm and raise the back a bit for that on standard shock

my budget would be for entry level nitron/hyperpro

so r1 or anything else just to give it a go appeals..

looking on ebay bb shocks look tired and grubby compared to r1 ones but can be got cheaper and rebuilt

I think satan charges 175.00 for his adapter. Everone who has gone that route seems to be very happy with the results. If you are looking to change the geometry of the bike and have a budget, take a look at the penske 8900. It is ride height adjustable or switch to a 190/55 rear or both even. Forging the way with the BB shock may be more difficult than anticipated. Not only is length important but eye width is as well if its to wide you will need to machine or file them down, if its to narrow then you will need spacers made. Plus you will be the Guinea pig on how well the valving works for the FZ. The bikes that you have described are all heavier than the FZ.

I'm all for something new but if you are on a budget this could end up costing you more.

yep agree with what you say

think i may be too light at 82kg for this shock anyway..heavier bike and with a 16.9kg spring may not work for me...needs a big guy..or gal...

getting an r1 shock 2nd hand and then trying to get ride height to 325/330mm puts cost up..

might as well go new and get what i want even if it is entry level nitron/hyperpro

bb shock came to mind cos im gonna get one for a vfr750 back end im putting into another bike and noticed same shock length

well very much project stage at mo....

top shock mount away at welders as i type and swingarm needs sleeving and shaving at a machine shop to go on properly...cut back left side frame swingarm boss 5 mm ( that was a task and a half) to get ssssa in for further measurements

quick pic, i will do a project thread somewhere once its nearer completion and send a link sometime down the line as its not a yamaha...

2013-02-16110705_zps834b9825.jpg

so thinking about suspension for that bike got me thinking about suspension for the fz1

likely route is to bung a nitron (made in uk) in the fz1 and fz1 shock in that...

but where the cross brace for the top shock mount is going has all been worked out with an old vfr shock which i was gonna replace with a blackbird one and still is an option as same size but better

but as its very open in that space an r1 item with its piggy back would look aesthetically better...

anyway, i digress

Back