BikeVis Running Lights

I was happy today at work when the mail came and my BikeVis light set was there. Shipping was really quick. They were mailed from the UK on the 4th. I'll post additional pics of them lit up in a while. As for installation on the bike, I'll have to wait for some warmer temps.

BikeVis002.jpg

Believe me Dustin, I'd be out there in a second but with the friggin wind chill and no heat in my garage, it just ain't happening. Here is a pic of the lights with power to them. This is at 12 volts DC. My power supply is DC adjustable, so I tried them at different voltages all the way down to 4 volts and they are still amazingly bright. I'm going to wire in the Modulator and shoot some HD Video in a few minutes.

BikeVis005.jpg

I'll check it out when I get home. At work and they block all public storage and back up sites, meaning I can't see pictures. ><

Rawr.

Two Brothers is closed today. So, shop just ordered me an M5 Carbon can. M3vsM5 is just small oval vs large oval.

I don't see a difference?

:hi jack:

Here's the video of the BikeVis Lights with the modulator in place. Hopefully this Wednesday the weather will permit me to mount them on the bike.

This is with the Modulator installed.............

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74GK_XV2H_Y]YouTube - BikeVis.avi[/ame]

This is without the Modulator installed going from just over 4volts DC up to a full 12volts..........

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuLmbwmH_EY"]YouTube- BikeVis2.avi Without Modulator[/ame]

Last edited:
Here's the video of the BikeVis Lights with the modulator in place. Hopefully this Wednesday the weather will permit me to mount them on the bike.

They look very bright! You just might be able to install them on Wednesday since it's supposed to warm up to around 40 degrees. Can't wait to see the finished product...

Nice! What was the cost with shipping Billy?

Where are you mounting them on the bike? How do they mount?

Thanks!!

Eric, the light set was 12.95 pounds, modulator was 19.95 pounds, and the shipping was 8.95 pounds. I'm trying to remember what it came to in dollars. Because of a glitch in the shipping on the website, I was charged twice. The refund which Dan gave me right away was almost 15 bucks US. So in total I think it came out to a littleover 60 dollars US.

The mounting system is nice. They need to have a small hole drilled, maybe an 1/8 inch. Then you bring the wire through after making sure that there are no burrs and the hole is flush. The wire comes out through the base of the light, dead center. There is a pad of 3M automotive grade tape which you then just peel away and stick the light into place. A couple of pics are worth 1000 words...............

BikeVisMounting003.jpg

BikeVisMounting002.jpg

BikeVisMounting001.jpg

So this way the light sits flush with no wires showing. Pretty clean although some guys probably won't want to drill any holes in their fairings. Me, I don't mind.

As for mounting spots, I'm still deciding. Adam is going to send me pics of his lower fairings which the previous owner mounted running lights in. Once I see those pics, I'll go down and make a decision.

Dan, who is the owner of BikeVis also told me that he will gladly do some forum specials and or group buys which will bring the price down somewhat. My initial thoughts are that they are nice quality, very bright, and well worth the dough. More pics to follow once the install is done. Thanks.

ya mean I have to do something now....first thing on my to do list....once I've had a cup of coffee....

but I can tell you that where the owner mounted the additional turn signals.....is not going to be a stick on type application....

Last edited:
if it is too daunting of a task....send me your lowers and I'll send you mine.....:poke:

If it is someting more -- I can take actual picture of the signals and how they are mounted in that location....yellow lens has a post that is fed through the screen in that area (maybe 3/4"-1" hole) with a locking nut on the backside....but you probably have a much better install in plan....

if it is too daunting of a task....send me your lowers and I'll send you mine.....:poke:

If it is someting more -- I can take actual picture of the signals and how they are mounted in that location....yellow lens has a post that is fed through the screen in that area (maybe 3/4"-1" hole) with a locking nut on the backside....but you probably have a much better install in plan....

Oh, swap lowers?..........NOT! :yes: I think I'm going to run down this afternoon and bring the lowers upstairs. I have to make a repair on one of the bottom tabs anyway which I snapped off when I removed them last. Totally my fault for being lazy. My main concern is to have them mounted somewhere that they will be parallel with the road with me aboard the bike. I believe that the vented hole which you pictured here is facing a little downward. I'm not going to speculate though, I'll just go down and bring the light with me. Hell, it's only 24 degrees out, no problem!

I really like the vissability they have wile pulsing. That ought to take the road traffic vissability up a fiew notches. I'd thought about the gizmo that makes the turn signalls running and signal lights as a mod to aquire soon. Boy I know about the drilling holes thing, it's sort of like cutting your hair....lol.... Looking forward to seeing them in place and functioning.

BikVis Lights Installed...Finally!

I went downstairs this morning after coming back from Walmart and got started on the lights and the mirror mod. I closed the garage door to keep the wind and "nosy-bodies" from bothering me. After getting the mirrors back on the bike (separate post), I got started on mounting the lights.

I cut out the templates and taped them in place on either side of the front fairing. I had looked at all my options and where I finally mounted them seems to be the best place. They sit flush against the fairing and point straight ahead. Most other places I tried had them angling towards the center which I didn't want.

I drilled two 1/8" holes in the bottom of the fairing and de-burred the hole flush. I fed the wires along the inside of the fairing and led everything to the left side of the bike.
FZ1MirrorMod-BikVis009.jpg

Once I was satisfied with placement, I pull the protective tape from the adhesive and set them in place. Make sure that you test fit the lights first because once that adhesive touches, it's pretty much not moving anywhere.
FZ1MirrorMod-BikVis010.jpg

Of course I didn't bring down my manual with me so wiring was a problem. I wanted to use the headlight wiring to run the lights so that they will run when the bike is switched "on". It took me a while to find the right wire coming from the headlight but I didn't finalize anything because when I switched to "highbeam", the BikVis lights shut off. I'll have to finish up on Wednesday when I am off from work. I also didn't have my electrical connectors with me either. I hooked them up for testing and so you guys could see them. This is hooked up to the "lowbeam".......
FZ1MirrorMod-BikVis011.jpg

They are bright however I was just using the horn bracket for a ground which didn't give the lights their full brightness. When holding the wire to ground they were much brighter but you get the idea.

Here is a shot with just the lights from a remote battery source (9volts).
FZ1MirrorMod-BikVis013.jpg

Here is a short video clip of the lights working with the modulator, again not wired to the bike's battery. I have my floats empty and the petcock off, so I didn't want to keep turning the key on, activating the fuel pump.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IiyO5KWZ8s]YouTube - FZ1 BikVis Light Test[/ame]

Once I have them wired correctly with full voltage, they should be as bright as my original tests done in the house. I at least wanted to get them mounted, and was happy to have accomplished that today. More to come!

BikeVis Final Wrap-up!

I want to send a "big" thanks to Tony (NJFZ1) for giving me a heads-up when I called last night about the wiring. He was right on the button. I wound up leaving the headlight circuit alone and concentrated on the running light circuit instead after getting some advice from "Big T". I got down early this morning, turned the radio on, and got to work, only this time I had all my electrical stuff with me. I probed the wires on the turn signals to find the constant 12V source. In this case it was the "blue" wire. I double checked it by hitting the turn signal switch and everything was good. I tapped into the wire with the lead from the modulator and secured the other lead to ground.

This was the final connection before buttoning everything back up.....
ItsAlive002.jpg

I taped all connections up and tidied everything back together to clean up the compartment....
ItsAlive004.jpg

I cleaned the insides of the fairings and reattached the fairing inserts....
ItsAlive006.jpg

Here's the final product. With the lights going to a proper ground and getting full juice with the bike running, they are very bright. The "modulation" effect is just what I wanted and am very happy with the outcome.
ItsAlive008.jpg

The kit is really nice quality and the instructions are great. It's very simple to hook up and makes a nice addition to the front of the bike. IMHO. It was a fun mod to do as well.:)

Excellent! How do you adjust them for cagers in front of you so they don't get them directly in the mirrors?

They look great. That's a LOT of visible light up front and no one can claim they didn't see you now. ;)

Back