Bike won't start, Really need help.

Hey Forum,

Need some help on this. So I recently did some maintenance on my bike. I own a 2005 FZ1. Changed out the oil filter and oil, changed out the oil and air filter to a K&N, added BG Engine Performance Concentrate to the oil to help out the cylinders since I've been burning oil lately. I did that a few weeks ago and the bike has been running great.

This past weekend I was working on syncing up the carbs. I started the bike and it was idling really, really low. Like so low it kept stalling out so I increased the idle speed and I had to turn the dial a fair amount to get the bike to idle around 1,400 RPMS. I had the sync hoses hooked up and was balancing out the carbs when all of a sudden the RPMS just started ramping up fast and taking off! I hit the killswitch. Figured the ramp had to do with the idle speed adjuster so I turned it down a little. I go back to start the bike and nothing happens. Figured maybe the battery was dead and charged it. Nothing still. The lights turn on, I hear the fuel pump prime, I can hear the killswitch activating a relay in the bike but the start button does nothing. Bike doesn't even turn over. Any advice on how to tackle this or what to do would be immensely appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

Unintended acceleration.
Are there any Audi components on this bike?
Just kidding ...

If the starter does nothing .. makes no noise .. when you hit the start ..with ignition on .. it just about has to be electrical - and a switch or fuse or connection, bad.

It makes sense that it would be electrical. I checked the fuses and none of them are blown. I asked a mechanic and he recommended double checking the clutch relay and the stand relay. Anything beyond that though and I have no idea where to begin. Do I just start taking apart every wiring harness and putting it back? lol. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the Fz1? That could be useful

First off check that the battery is in good shape and fully charged. I would also look for a vacuum leak that may have caused the idle issue. Look for a cracked hose, loose/pulled off hose and check the intake manifolds for cracks. Cracked intake manifolds were pretty common on the Gen 1 FZ1's.

Just for grins - check the throttle wire connection to engine... Mine got loose once and acted pretty strange like that (while I was riding) as it came off the connection.

Sorry to even bring this up, but if the bike is on the side stand - is there any possibility that it might have gotten put into 1st gear without you realizing it? The safety interlock on the side stand would not allow the starter to function.

Someone else recommended checking the hoses for a vacuum leak as well so I'm going to be sure to do that. And the battery is in good shape. I hadn't thought to check the throttle wire so I will definitely do that! And the bike was on the center stand, not the side. Unless my relays are not working the green neutral light is showing that the bike is in the neutral position. All good points to check on! Thanks for they help everyone. I'll keep you updated with what I find out. Just got some more snow here in CO :rant: so I need to wait for a nice day to get back out and work on the bike.

Clue:
The last electrical thing you did to the bike while it was running was to "hit the kill switch". That is the next place i would look, if it were me. If that switch went bad (maybe you hit it too hard) then it could be in a constant "kill" position.

You seem to have two separate things going on with this machine. One is electrical - the thing that killed the engine and kept it killed. And the idle problem is not as likely to be electrical - but even if it is electrical - it is not something that will immediately kill the engine.
Two separate things.

Check your sidestand switch for proper operation, too. Don't know how panicked you may have gotten when the engine RPM went up - but if you banged something hard accidentally - like kill switch or sidestand switch - and the switch was worn and nearly ready to fail - that could have pushed it over the edge - into failure.

You should check these switches with a multimeter - showing continuity or resistance .

Last edited:
It Starts! So I think the gear somehow got out of neutral when I was working on it last time. I was testing the continuity of the relays and they were all checking out so I decided to look at the neutral relay. The relay was partially engaged because the neutral light was on but it must not have been engaged enough to let a the ignition work. I rotated the wheel and shifted in and out of first gear and then tried starting it again. It still idles a little rough but at least it starts now. Thanks for the help everyone. Will let you know the status after I get it to idle more smoothly.

Back