Bike down :(

fz1uk

Just had an accident where a lorry in front of me at a T junction reversed over the front of my bike. I could see both his mirrors and I'd left plenty of space but he reversed into me so fast I couldn't back peddle fast enough, he didn't respond to my horn at all. Gutted that the front end is so mangled. The guy was barely apologetic. I'm glad I just about kept my cool but I've now just got to hope that the guy accepts liability.

I only just serviced her on Sunday and installed Ivans FCE! This bike means so much to me.. I've had her for 4 years now and been round Spain, Portugal, France and the UK on her...:(

I've never dealt with insurance before and I'm worried the bike will be a right off. Would you guys recommend stripping things off the bike like the FCE, Exhaust, Tail tidy, clear brake light, givi stuff, and even the front lower fairing.. (which although its damaged might not be too bad to repair) before the insurance get their hands on it or are you meant to just leave it as is and then they carry out repairs if they can? I have some pictures of the scene but they show the bike with the visible mods. I only recently added the exhaust and hadn't mentioned it to them yet. Any advice would be welcome there please.

So far I can see the front fairing brackets and all plastics on the front are either destroyed scratched or twisted.. looks like the forks are bent slightly.. both lights are smashed.. front fender is destroyed.. the rear of the bike thankfully didn't scratch on the ground.

I'm glad we weren't hurt but its just such a massive shame.

sorry to read your mishap, especially when some dumb ass backs into your bike...Not sure how it works, but i'd have the cops called in and have a report written that his insurance needs to cover your repair.. in my view on reading what happened the guy does not have a choice to accept liability.
In that case I would have the bike inspected and priced for a full repair, including mods...also have the frame checked.

Very sorry to hear but very happy you were uninjured! Talk to your insurance and get copies of the police reports. I'm not sure how companies work over there, but I am letting my insurance handle my bike and letting them subrogate the claim to the other party to collect so I do not have to fight. My only interest is being back on two wheels as quickly as possible.

Take photos and do not try and move, bend or fix anything until the insurance adjuster has a crack at it. Document and print out all receipts for all modifications. Good luck!

Cheers for the help and thoughts guys.. the company haven't accepted liability yet but I've been told by my insurance that its a no brainer that the driver of the lorry was at fault and would be dealt with accordingly. I won't rest easy till I hear them actually say they're at fault. They also said it'd be ok to replace back to stock the few aftermarket parts that I wanted to keep before it gets picked up for assessment. Fingers crossed I get her back as I do have a proper connection to this bike - I've been through a lot with her!

Glad to hear the insurance company will go to bat for you!

I wish I'd had gone with my gut and removed all undamaged mods from my bike prior to inspection. Mine would have been cut and dry that day with a check in hand! But I listened to my agent who did not see this coming. Regardless I'll have a 100% whole bike no matter what, but it's now down to WHEN!

Keep us informed. Toss some pics up if you can too. ;)

Sorry to hear of your misfortune , least your ok.
I would remove all your mods as the insurance wont give you anymore unless you had previously declared them. ,
It sounds from how you describe the damage that they will write it off , you may have the option to buy it back , either way you get to keep your parts weather to refit them back on this bike or a new one .
Best wishes mate

Sorry to learn of the accident. I hope you're okay.

If you have the stock parts put them back on and keep the undamaged aftermarket ones. You can always sell them or put the on the next FZ1. The adjusters just see them a a part and don't know the difference.

Good luck!

Cheers guys. The assessor is coming out next week. Thankfully they've accepted full liability now so hopefully will get this sorted quite quickly. Quite honestly though I really had to to stop myself when this guy was being such a prick.

fz1_down1.jpg

Hope it is sorted out and you're made right!

In the future, as a thought, always stop with your bike to one side of the other of the vehicle in front of you so you can see their face in the side mirror. This also give you room to pop the clutch and pull away rather than having to back-peddle or bail out. ;)

Back