bike alarm

mgosset1

I need to put an alarm on my bike; any suggestions...not looking for something that takes hours to wire up......2002 fz1.....thought about the disc locks....etc.....any ideas appreciated...

I need to put an alarm on my bike; any suggestions...not looking for something that takes hours to wire up......2002 fz1.....thought about the disc locks....etc.....any ideas appreciated...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-7007-Motorcycle-Transmitter/dp/B000GVIOPQ"]Gorilla[/ame] alarms are easy to hook up. You can also get [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Xena-XX6-Y-Motorcycle-Disc-Brake/dp/B002VSD50Q"]disc locks[/ame] that have built in alarm.

Though I will tell you that 90% of all stolen bikes are simply picked up and thrown in a minivan. The thieves do not even care if an alarm goes off. Lowjack is the only way to go if you actually want a chance at recovery.

I'm with Brad on this one...if it was me I'd just install a hidden kill switch and hope for the best. An alarm is not really going to keep your bike from being stolen...

I have the gorilla alarm with the two-way pager. The wiring is pretty straight forward, just one wire to the positive terminal of the battery and one to the negative. The only thing you might have trouble with is finding a place to mount the unit. I mounted mine under the passenger seat.

As already mentioned if a thief wants your bike they will get it, but the pager can give a little peace of mind for when you run in the store or something and you have time to get to the bike if it goes off. Or if a punk kid wants to show off with his friends and sit on your bike

Though I will tell you that 90% of all stolen bikes are simply picked up and thrown in a minivan. The thieves do not even care if an alarm goes off. Lowjack is the only way to go if you actually want a chance at recovery.

Ahhh you're just saying that because of that video that was posted here a couple months ago. How many stolen bike do you actually get stuffed into a minivan like that CBR in NYC. I;d have to agree though that if a thief really wants ur bike he'll get it regardless of an alarm that may be going off. In big cities like NY/NJ/IL that is congested and car alarms go off randomly when delivery trucks pas by, people get so used to the noise of an alarm they don't even pay attention anymore, thus making an alarm nobody's business. ow sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
i like the gorilla alarm; just going to get the standard 8007 brand; hell i don't need a two way pager....just the basics will work for me....Hail your right, three guys could walk up to my bike and steal it in a heartbeat....lol...its not that heavy...i want the basic blinking light, shock and tilt.....works for me...i really like the old bike, it's like me Old!!, would hate to have to replace it...

A little heads up on the blinking LED, if you go a few days without starting the bike or if you dont keep a battery tender on the battery it can can drain it. I opted to not to install it on mine.

Man I always keep my bike on a battery tender...The batteries last a lot longer when their kept up....thanks for the headsup....

If my insurance would give me a discount for having an alarm I would get it in a heart beat. If you get one definitely get the kind with the pager so you can get at least some kind of warning.

I installed a scorpio alarm on mine. I like it, while yes, I do suspect it drains the battery I still like it. I don't use it all the time but when I need it it's there. With the 2 way pager all I need is for it to let me know when someone is f'ing with my bike, I can handle the rest. It also has a perimeter sensor so they don't even need to touch the bike just stand too close for too long and it will go off.

I was considering a phantom low jack. It's a bit pricy on the front end, but living so close/ working in memphis it would be worth it. Had my 97 XRL lifted right out of the parking lot at work this time last year :kill

There are situations where an alarm is effective and times when they are not. I have to admit that when in an urban setting, especially parking lots and garages, alarms are going off all the time and more people ignore them than even blink an eye because they hear one going off. However, when traveling and staying in motels all over the country I have had a Scorpio scare off two would-be thieves who wanted my 2004 Superglide. I was awakened in the middle of the night by my remote and bike blasting. By the time I got my wits about me and ran to the window, the thieves were running like mad for their pickup, without my bike. I have to say that it still makes sense to have a good cable lock and I try to secure the bike to something that won't move easily, like a post or another bike. Nothing is 100% but you can cut the odds that your bike will not be stolen rather than the one right next to it that isn't secured.

Why aren't people going for cruisers? Outside of Harleys it seems like most stolen bikes are SportBikes. Well guess I'm safe with my cruiser, too bad it's up for sale, anyone:)?

Man i had a nice cruiser before i got the old fz1...the cruisers are heavy and just not that fun to ride for me personally..sport bikes are lighter and a lot easier to steal...hell of a lot more fun to ride...

I have a Xena lock with alarm, most places I go that's enough deterrent. Bottom line though is if someone REALLY wants your bike, they will get it. But a lot of times the simplest of deterrent is enough to keep away a majority of the problems.

The Gorilla unit looks pretty big compared to the Scorpio one.. Where are you guys hiding the units?

I was thinking if I got the Exup Servo eliminator, I could make a tray where the unit was and mount it there... IF I decide to get an alarm.

I don't have an alarm on this bike but I have had an alarm on other bikes. The feature that I always wanted is to get an alarm with remote start. Now I live in a smaller town and crime is low. I can also lock my bike up where it would be very difficult to get it.
If the conditions allow - it's a nice feature to have.

So I saw a video on youtube of a dude installing the Gorilla 8017 into his 2007 FZ1. He put it inside the front fairing inside under the black plastics, next to the blinker. Great spot, everything fit nice. I think I am going to spring for one before summer as you can get it as cheap as 140 shipped from what I have found so far. I love the idea of having the remote tell me whats going on if I am in a store.

I was going to mention that video on youtube. I watched it the other day and I wish I would have seen it before I installed mine. I installed mine under the passenger seat as close to the front as I could. I removed the tool pouch also. Not sure if that is an option for some of you but I always have my tank bag with me with some basic tools.

The place that the guy put it in the video was a good place, but I would be a little worried about just using the sticky velcro on the fairing. It seems that if it got too hot it would come loose. Just a thought.

But by putting it up front I think that it would be louder than under the seat. Not that it isn't loud enough but there is a difference when it goes off without the seat on.

i got one on order and the back passenger seat underneath looks like the prime spot to mount it...the shock and the tilt....and was planning on mounting the light dead center on back fender right past the passenger seat...i think it will be loud enough and a lot more secure....

Back