Better shock for less $$

I've been trying to find a cheap way to upgrade my shock also, and have been told that a lot of the so called "not able to be upgraded" shocks can actually be revalved. I'm led to believe there is a couple ads in the OZ Motorcycle News. So I'm assuming it's the same as servicing any other shock, once you have sussed out how to open it and seal it again.

Now I see this....Thanks heaps for posting this up. I'm convinced it's not a wild goose chase now, and I can get mine done.....Gold valves and a new spring, here we come...woot!

Well, I did exactly the opposite of what I was told to do by my tuner and that's why I was having the poor ride. Too much spring preload and rebound damping. I backed off both and was greeted with a much more supple ride. I'll tweak it some more before calling it done.

Mike, since a lot of water is under the bridge now, what are your thoughts on this shock now? Any new findings? Ride reports?

Thanks!

This sounds like a pretty good deal for those riders who aren't satisfied with the original setup but for riders like myself who aren't out for that all-out total "balls to the wall" riding and aren't heavy, I think the stock shock is plenty enough to get the job done without putting another $250 into the bike. My preference would be to wait for a couple years till the original is wasted then put in a better non-OEM shock that is totally rebuildable and compression and rebound adjustable. If a shock has limited adjustability it can't possibly make everyone happy and with my weight of 145-150 lbs. vs a guy who weighs 190-210, a lot of adjustability is required to make the two riders feel good with the same setup (shock).

With good weather and availability, I finally was able to get my wife on the back for a ride with the current shock set up. The bike handled well and my wife reports it was the smoothest ride so far. I think we have a winner. I'm going to have Phil ride the bike next and settle on the final configuration.

update

Well, after several hundred miles on the revalved stock shock on all kinds of roads riding from sedate to stupid fast, I can say that the shock mod is good to go.

I'll equate the difference in shock action from stock to today at the same level that the full mods made to the engine power from stock. Definitely noticeable and definitely better. So, for $250, you can have a shock that actually work well allowing for better handing.

Try it out.

If your local and would like to try my shock, I'll be happy to swap it out and let you try it out on your bike. It only takes 5-10 minutes to swap them between bikes. Then it would no longer be just MY OPINION.

If your local and would like to try my shock, I'll be happy to swap it out and let you try it out on your bike. It only takes 5-10 minutes to swap them between bikes. Then it would no longer be just MY OPINION.

I'm in San Jose and might be willing to take you up on this offer if you're still offering it. :)

this might be a good option for us cheapskates.Does the 250 price include a new spring? from the pics I couldn't tell where you open the shock up I just see a valve

My last post was over a year ago in this thread. I sold the shock a while back to member of this forum and he seemed happy with it last I heard. I got a killer deal on a used Penske on Craig's List and Aftershocks revalved it and mounted the correct spring for me. It gives me the ability to lengthen the shock and help the bike handle even better. I can also adjust the compression on the fly.

The modified stock shock was really good.

My last post was over a year ago in this thread. I sold the shock a while back to member of this forum and he seemed happy with it last I heard. I got a killer deal on a used Penske on Craig's List and Aftershocks revalved it and mounted the correct spring for me. It gives me the ability to lengthen the shock and help the bike handle even better. I can also adjust the compression on the fly.

The modified stock shock was really good.

That would be me. Shock is great. Now if I could get this bike to deliver smooth throttle response when going from closed to open throttle, I would love the Fz. As is I just do my best to ride around the issue.

You ever find out if your friend managed to get the operation back up and going? I would really have to say that his work on the OEM shock is great. I dont think most guys would be able to ace the "pepsi challenge" as far as comparing it to a aftermarket unit, unless it was Hardcore track riding.

That would be me. Shock is great. Now if I could get this bike to deliver smooth throttle response when going from closed to open throttle, I would love the Fz. As is I just do my best to ride around the issue.

Have you looked into the FCE? I know most people say it's only really needed on the '06s, but maybe your '08 would benefit from it also based on your riding style.

Glad to here it NightTrain! I still haven't spoken with Phil. I just texted him, so hopefully he will reply. Just like the charts show, the modified stocker emulates the Ohlins on the dyno. If you really want to know how good it is, borrow a stock shock and ride.

Have you looked into the FCE? I know most people say it's only really needed on the '06s, but maybe your '08 would benefit from it also based on your riding style.

Yeah, I have one hard-wired in. It helps above 5k, but right between 3-5k, the bike just has the on/off feel. I guess trying a pc3 with a good map may be the next step. I know with those things, you can add fuel at closed throttle, which may help. My last bike was just a lot smoother feeling, I got spoiled.

Glad to here it NightTrain! I still haven't spoken with Phil. I just texted him, so hopefully he will reply. Just like the charts show, the modified stocker emulates the Ohlins on the dyno. If you really want to know how good it is, borrow a stock shock and ride.

I don't need too, I have the stocker in a box, where it will live forever. It would have been ok for casual touring, but really blasting the curves was a bit scarry (pogo-matic). The Phil-a-zised shock is killer. The forks are doing all the protesting now, lol. But hey, If you make me choose between a really good fork, or a really good shock, I'll take the shock. The front can be a little loose but if the rear isn't planted you aren't getting anywhere fast.

pardon me, but i'm curious as to how a dyno will show how the modified stocker emulates the ohlins? :eyebrow:

Back