Better shock for less $$

OK, for those of you on a Gen2 FZ1 that want a better shock, but don't have the large amount of cash laying around to purchase one, I have another option for you. My off-road suspension sponsor, Aftershocks-suspension.com, has modified my shock. It was non rebuildable, but that is no longer the case. Internally, he does his magic and externally you will see where he machines the shock body and adds a shrader valve in order to pressurize the shock with nitrogen. The graph below is the shock dyno comparing an Ohlins shock, stock and modified shocks.
232323232%7Ffp9%3A%3B%3Enu%3D3352%3E83%3B%3E6%3A%3A%3E244383%3B79%3B247ot1lsi

It's not free, but at $250, it's an incredible value. This includes everything but the shipping. The only thing that will stink is being off the bike while your shock is being modded.

If your local to the SFBay area, I'll be willing to meet you, swap shocks and have you try it for yourself. 3 bolts and it's out. You just need to meet me in Milpitas.

I will take photos of the shock externally an post those in the future.

Loosenut
A.K.A. Mike

2007 Yamaha FZ1 - Raven
2005 GasGas EC300 (with plate)
2000 GasGas EC300 (loaner/buddy bike)
2004 GasGas Pampera 280 (hers)
2003 Derbi GP1 scooter (hers)

What's the translation on the graph, as I can't figure it out. So it tested good yesterday when heavy?

The X-axis is velocity and the Y-axis is force. You are viewing the 10 inches per second plot for each shock. 2 runs each.

Brown is the Ohlins with the highest compression and rebound.
Blue is the stock shock with the lowest compression and rebound
Green is the modified shock and it sits in between the other plots, but closer to the Ohlins. The modified shock has less initial compression than the Ohlins, but has a more linear plot. This results in a much smoother ride and better peformance overall. I'll be pulling it off to test a different set-up soon.

With me at 165lbs and the wife at ~150lbs, I was able to give it a good workout on your favorite loop yesterday. The first words out of her mouth was, "I ride feels much smoother." I felt the bike handled much better. Especially in the bumpy turns.

The X-axis is velocity and the Y-axis is force. You are viewing the 10 inches per second plot for each shock. 2 runs each.

Brown is the Ohlins with the highest compression and rebound.
Blue is the stock shock with the lowest compression and rebound
Green is the modified shock and it sits in between the other plots, but closer to the Ohlins. The modified shock has less initial compression than the Ohlins, but has a more linear plot. This results in a much smoother ride and better peformance overall. I'll be pulling it off to test a different set-up soon.

With me at 165lbs and the wife at ~150lbs, I was able to give it a good workout on your favorite loop yesterday. The first words out of her mouth was, "I ride feels much smoother." I felt the bike handled much better. Especially in the bumpy turns.

Phil did the graph? Hey, could he graph mine and compare with yours? That could give some good feedback for our bikes and info for this site about hyper and how it compares all around.

Phil (Aftershocks owner) has a shock dyno which helps set him apart from other tuners, so he can pull the suspension compression and rebound damping data from just about any shock or fork. I would love to see how the hyperpro stacks up against the others. When's the last time you had that shock serviced?

Shocks need maintenance? I guess so since you asked. OK, I'll have to ask him how long it will take as I can't handle down time.

Just like every other moving part, the shock needs to be serviced. I'll loan you my shock if you have him do it during the week. I can cage it to work for a little while. Then you can do a direct comparison.

Basically there are 5 other price options:

Penske 8987, Ohlins YA 906, ~ $1100
HyperPro 3D 469, Elka 3-way ~ $850
Penske 8983, Ohlins YA 628, YA 009, Elka 2-way, Nitron Race ~ $750
Nitron Track ~ $650
Nitron Sport, HyperPro 460 Emulsion ~ $500

Last edited:
I was aware of the options. That's why I feel that $250 is a deal. The only downside is that you are sans FZ1 until the shock is returned.

So... I want to hear more in detail about the process.... "Doing Magic" isn't telling me anything... does the valving get changed? seals?

What is the overall goal of this modification? You say you wanted a better ride when you had your wife on the bike with you... a stiffer spring would have taken care of that...

If you could.... get Phil to stop by the forum here and tell us all what this process involves....

I'm not trying to be mean or rude in asking these questions.... but for $250, "Magic" and "better" doesn't cut it...

I'm really interested to hear what's done internally

Last edited:
While a heavier spring would handle the weight better, the stock shock has very little in the way of compression damping. (see chart) Springs don't fix that.

Phil's shock mod includes:

*re-valving and a machined plate
*shock oil
*shock body machining to accept the shrader valve

The reason I included the dyno chart is so that you can see the performance of the shock in motion as compared to the stock and Ohlins shock. If you want more from Phil, then your gonna need to call, because I don't know any more other than it works. I'm not done testing yet. This current set-up I feel will be great for 80% of the riders out there.

About me: After breaking my neck and back racing in the TCCRA Pro class on ill handling bikes, I decided that suspension was where I could gain more speed without being the WFO hero. So, I spent the $$$ and my off-road bikes were tranformed. After moving to California, I found Aftershocks and had him revalve my '97 YZ250. It was so much better, but as I picked up speed on these new trails, I found that my suspension was lacking a bit, so I described what the bike was doing right and wrong and Phil took it all in, asked great questions and knew exactly what I wanted. The next ride I was again very happy as the bike was handling even better. Phil and I got along well and he started sponsoring me for my suspension needs. My next bike was a 2000 GasGas EC300. The forks were horrible, but the Ohlins shock had potential. I had Phil revalve the forks at least 3 times looking for the ellusive compromise point. I found it, but 43mm WP are not exactly the best forks on the market. The shock needed to be revalved as well, but it works great.

My newer '05 GasGas EC300 has Ohlins front and rear. The forks have been tweeked by Phil, yet the shock has only needed a service. As a matter of fact, I haven't raced in 3 years and yet Phil still helps me out. This is my way of helping him and hopefully helping a bunch of GEN2 FZ1 riders get a decent working shock for 1/2 the the cost of the least expensive shock.

win-win

not on a witch hunt, but if it were as easy as you say, wouldn't more people be offering the ability to rebuild?

I do not claim to be a shock expert, and maybe I take somethings for granted, but I do know that a very good source for ALOT of FZ (Gen I and II) shock/fork work says that the Gen II rear shock is not servicable.

Now maybe I'm exchanging serviceable for cost effective and in your scenario, it is very affordable. The price you paid is inline with what I'd expect to pay for a shock that was serviceable + the cost of shipping to/from.

Basically there are 5 other price options:

Penske 8987, Ohlins YA 906, ~ $1100
HyperPro 3D 469, Elka 3-way ~ $850
Penske 8983, Ohlins YA 628, YA 009, Elka 2-way, Nitron Race ~ $750
Nitron Track ~ $650
Nitron Sport, HyperPro 460 Emulsion ~ $500

Thanks, hyper does make a cheaper shock for us, without the extra oil thingie. I have that one. About 500$

Oh, just noticed you had that! sorry.

not on a witch hunt, but if it were as easy as you say, wouldn't more people be offering the ability to rebuild?

I do not claim to be a shock expert, and maybe I take somethings for granted, but I do know that a very good source for ALOT of FZ (Gen I and II) shock/fork work says that the Gen II rear shock is not servicable.

Now maybe I'm exchanging serviceable for cost effective and in your scenario, it is very affordable. The price you paid is inline with what I'd expect to pay for a shock that was serviceable + the cost of shipping to/from.

I know the Euro riders love the hype SPRINGS on the OEM shocks, if I understand what they're doing correctly. So, they do their own building. They do most of their own stuff now that I think about it.

After breaking my neck and back racing in the TCCRA Pro class on ill handling bikes, I decided that suspension was where I could gain more speed without being the WFO hero.

Holy crap, broken NECK and BACK??? I didn't know. Riding great and looking good.

All you guys, rode with mike awhile back. We met up and I asked how long he had the bike. He said, 'five months.' Crap, I got scared, as I thought he didn't know the bike. So I geeked the whole ride. Like about 120 miles or so. Tight twistie stuff. He knew the road, I barely did.

Anyway, he could care less that I was geeking, and tore up that road. He knows how to ride! Knows how to ride, all on top a coming off a broken neck and back. Quick smile and loves life.

Got my respect, for sure.

Who said it was easy? This mod takes some skill and a fair amount of labor as compared to revalving a shock designed to be rebuilt. Race ya to Witch Mtn!

I'm not shock expert, but I am sponsored by one. The stock shock was never intended to be a servicable unit. You know this, I know this and the world knows this. The modifications take care of this. My shock is now serviceable and being pulled tonight so that it can be opened up again and tweeked to try a more proggresive compression curve.

:banghead: The shock is now serviceable, revalved and works great.

Unfortunately, the $250 mod does not give you the ability to adjust compression. Low speed compression adjustment can be attained by adding a remote reservior. This was part of my original plan as I already have a Fox shock reservior. The hose attaches in place of the shrader valve. I will more than likely be having this done after my testing is complete and I settle on the base set-up I like the most. I will likely relocate the voltage regulator and put the remote reservior in it's place with a really short hose.

A couple photos

I pulled the shock this afternoon after getting home from work. I snapped a couple shots with the cell phone in case anyone is interested. I'm waiting for the traffic to die down before heading over to drop it off for version 2.

Shock mod version 2

Well, I picked up my shock on saturday morning to start testing out mod version #2. I mounted it up and pulled my luggage for the maiden voyage. Gotta love the SWMotech quick release mounts. Anyway, off I go to the same roads that I tested version #1.

*Initial ride quality seems better than stock, not as good as mod #1
*Definitely a firmer ride, offering good feedback from the road
*Seems to beat me up on the really bumpy sections, but doesn't do anything bad.
*Forks required more compression to balance out bike.

Fast forward 1 day:

Wife rides with me with all luggage attached, same roads.

*Ride smothed out with more weight, but still not as good as version #1.

Put quite simple, set-up#2 is not ready for prime-time.

More to come as I test.

Back