best tyres ?

I put Michlin Power Pilot 2CT's on prior to my 3000 mile trip in July. I'm TOTALLY happy w/the tire. Not only are they sticky, but I had 4200 on the rear when I got a puncture . . . the tire still had around 1000 miles left, so that's decent wear for that tire. I replaced it w/another 2CT.

Hi Fellas, I chopped my R1 (with too many mods to mention) in for an an FZ1 approx 6 months ago, I ran bridgstones on R1 but the FZ1 left the shop equipped with Dunlop Sportmax 221's

You guys any thoughts on these?

Cheers
Gazza

Hi Fellas, I chopped my R1 (with too many mods to mention) in for an an FZ1 approx 6 months ago, I ran bridgstones on R1 but the FZ1 left the shop equipped with Dunlop Sportmax 221's

You guys any thoughts on these?

Cheers
Gazza

Well as you have had them for longer than me, what do you think of them?
I also have them as stock on my 2010 FZ1N and I run them at 34 front 36 rear when riding by myself or 36/42 when riding with the missus.
So far they haven't done anything too wrong and I/they keep up with my mates on their Sportsbikes.
They aren't my first choice of tyre so once they wear out I'll be buying some stickier hoops, but they are ok for now.
Try the lower pressures in them and see what you think.

As a stock tyre I think they are pretty good, i travel 90k a day to and from work in both wet and dry and have not been found wanting. They are also wearing well which is a bonus as that kind of milage can be expensive on the pocket buying new rubber.

When i hit the mountains at the weekend they feel OK but i dont have the confidence i had in the Bridgestones even though i dont get left behind by the sporties. ( I actually think i can go as quick on the FZ1 as i did on the R1 but i dont want to open a debate on this)

At this stage not sure what I will replace them with when the time comes.
Gazza

I have the Pilot Road 2's on mine (2002 FZ1). Much better than the 016's that were on it when I got it, done 8000km on them so far, mix of commute/touring 80% vs twisties 20%. They are holding up very well. Then again I'm not the fastest bloke out there...
Hi Guys ive 08 fz1 with pilot road 2<s done track days, drag racing my bike used as demo bike on a dyno, Im getting 13000k,s out of them thats about twice as much as any other tyre ive used, Sensational all round tyre, get a bit of controlled slide when pushed hard. In my book best road tyre on the market by far love them.

Regards Palmy

I'm running Dunlop Qualifier 2's and they are super sticky and confidence inspiring.
I doubt they will last a long time but for the type of riding I do, they are perfect.

I've been very happy with a Pilot Road 2 (PR2) on the back and a Pilot Power on the front. Trouble is I need a new front and it would appear that you can't get the plain old Pilot Power anymore. I have decided to go for a Pilot Power Pure which should last about as long as what is left of the PR2 on the back.

Then, when I wear those out, I am hoping that the new PR3's (See Pic below) will have finally made it to the NSW market and I will put a set of PR3's on front and rear.

attachment.php

Michelin claim the new PR3's will have even better wet weather performance thanks to "MICHELIN Sipe Technology". Ok I had never heard of Sipes before either but I think it refers to the thin grooves and wells you can see on the tyres. Given how good the PR2's are in the wet that should be something to look forward to.

Last edited:
I love sport tyres so the performance for me are more importantant than distance.. Michelin 2tc was a delusion..to much slow to change side.. M pilot,the first tyre on my baby,absolutly the wrong tipe of tyre for my drive style.. metz rennsport was a good compromise,on the road and for some tracks days..but at the end,now she is dressing Dunlop Qualifier RR and this is the perfect tyre for me! ;-)

I use Bridgestone BT016's. They give me decent range if I don't carve them up too badly, and they stick superbly, with a smooth squirm and re-grip, that means you can get on the throttle really hard in first out of most turns, and have the rear squirming, and the front hopping, all the way up to 130km/h.

I just rode a 1000km straight line trip on them, and spent the day getting them round again. So after around 4000km and being squared off and re-rounded again, they look like this...

View attachment 5450

View attachment 5451

View attachment 5452

But now my pegs look like this...again:doh2:

View attachment 5453

Back