Best twisties in Northern California?

I have another video from a Skaggs ride I did the other day. The section between the bridge and tar snakes is quite possibly one of the best twisty roads up on Northern California. Enjoy!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NprAeDnxbLQ"]GoPro Hero 3 2.7k - Skaggs Springs Road July 12, 2013 - Yamaha FZ1 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Your roads there, before the tar snakes showed up, are in much better condition than our roads in Ohio. Looked fun. Loved the pass on the sport bike that was just "toodling" along.

I've never been to Ohio but I don't imagine there would be very many nice twisties there? I definitely feel lucky to live in California! That rider was with me and another guy lol she's newer so I gave her a few minutes head start.

Nice Vid!
First off I would say Northern California has the best / most twisty roads on the planet.
No doubt Skaggs is very good but it's hard to beat La Porte Rd. in Yuba County or Mosquito Ridge in Placer county or even Hw49 from Nevada City to Sierriaville in September.
However I would rate Hwy 120 from Lee Vining to Benton Hot springs as the most fun road in California, IMHO.

I've never been to Ohio but I don't imagine there would be very many nice twisties there? I definitely feel lucky to live in California! That rider was with me and another guy lol she's newer so I gave her a few minutes head start.

Lots of twisties in eastern/southeastern Ohio. The quality of the pavement isn't near as nice as yours, probably in part because of the freeze/thaw cycles. Extensive tar snakes used in effort to prolong the surface.

Nice Vid!
First off I would say Northern California has the best / most twisty roads on the planet.
No doubt Skaggs is very good but it's hard to beat La Porte Rd. in Yuba County or Mosquito Ridge in Placer county or even Hw49 from Nevada City to Sierriaville in September.
However I would rate Hwy 120 from Lee Vining to Benton Hot springs as the most fun road in California, IMHO.

Thanks! Those are some nice looking roads that I'd definitely have to check out on a road trip with my dad!

Lots of twisties in eastern/southeastern Ohio. The quality of the pavement isn't near as nice as yours, probably in part because of the freeze/thaw cycles. Extensive tar snakes used in effort to prolong the surface.

Tar snakes are definitely not fun. I'm always scared that my front will just slip out all of a sudden, so I slow way down. The tar snake section in Skaggs would be awesome if only there weren't any tar snakes. But, we can always be thankful that we don't live in Canada!

I've somewhat recently found out those tar snakes not only get slippery when wet but also when it's really hot out. The only time my back end had ever gotten squirrelly is on somewhat older tires in 110+ degree weather on some good twisties. Real pucker moment when your tires slide at 70 mph when your in a tight corner.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

New Video

Yes, I take tar snakes with caution no matter what the weather is like. I went for another ride over at Skaggs today, so here's the video. I'll admit that I was definitely riding a bit over my usual pace because I wanted to catch up with that Ducati. He passed us on the bridge about a minute before we left, and I always get a rush out of trying to catch up to someone. I took a few shitty lines that I'm not too proud of, but other than those, it's a good video. I'll just start posting my weekly rides in here so I don't clutter up the forums with new threads all the time.
GoPro Hero 3 - Skaggs Springs Road July 19, 2013 on a 2007 FZ1 - YouTube

Last edited:
Back