best shock/fork settings for me? 235lbs.

Rex D.

I'm about 235lbs. dressed, leathered, ready to ride. Been riding my FZ1 for 8 mo. and 3000 miles and feel like I need to make a change with the rear shock. On the tight corners it feels like the back end could use some firming up. Any suggestions by the more experienced guys my size as to the best settings for the front and rear suspension that would be appropriate for me???
Thanks!!

I'm about 235lbs. dressed, leathered, ready to ride. Been riding my FZ1 for 8 mo. and 3000 miles and feel like I need to make a change with the rear shock. On the tight corners it feels like the back end could use some firming up. Any suggestions by the more experienced guys my size as to the best settings for the front and rear suspension that would be appropriate for me???
Thanks!!

It is important to state whether you are on a GenI or II. The Gen I was terribly under sprung and you would need a 600 to 650 lb spring for that shock. Someone else would have to address the Gen II issues.

Yep, sorry I just thought of that. It's a 2007 FZ1. Many mods, akropovic', fuel, ignition, airbox, air filter, gutted cat, as far as performance mods go, but the suspension is completely stock.

Yep, sorry I just thought of that. It's a 2007 FZ1. Many mods, akropovic', fuel, ignition, airbox, air filter, gutted cat, as far as performance mods go, but the suspension is completely stock.

Well it's common knowledge that the Gen II rear shock is junk. You could try turning up the preload and the rebound dampening. If you look on pages 3-16 and 3-17 of your owner's manual it will explain how to do this. I suggest you only make one change at at time so that you can easily revert to the previous setting if you have to. And by the way I'm lighter than you so my settings wont work for you...

The stock rear spring prob won't cope it. Think that the best you can do is putting in a new spring more suited for your wright.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

How serious are you at getting your bike to handle better?

At a minimum I would get the springs replaced front and back.

Better still get a new rear shock set up for your weight.
You don't need to spend a fortune here as Penske (8900E) and Nitron (Sport shock) make some great units for under $600.
If you can spend a little more then the Penske 8983 is the prefered weapon of choice, they cost around $900.

Last edited:
The best thing you could do is take your bike to any good shop to setup your suspension should cost ya 25-35 bucks .I used to have a really awesome video on setup but it got wiped out when I had PC problems

even fitted with a spring of a correct springrate, the stock shock body is still a piece of junk..

damping properties are almost of no existence. hence the best way to go about is to change the shock.

like ballmead mentioned, there are quite alot of brands available depending on how's your budget like..

there are brands like bitubo, ohlins, penske, nitron, etc etc..

IMHO, the top brand right now that is available for FZ1 is bitubo with excellent performance and finishing. not to mention that the shock itself is the exact same model as WSS yamaha are using.

OK, this post sounds abit bias towards bitubo.. :laugh2:

Almost everyone is biased towards what they have done themselves. :p

Bitubo is a fancy Italian job... but in California your options are better comparing Ohlins, Penske and Race Tech.

Most people on the forum are Penske pushers. There's a few Ohlins obsessors. And I think I'm the only big Race Tech junkie.

--

But before you drop big dollars on an aftermarket shock, experiment with your stock unit.

Start by watching all the "Two Clicks Out" videos on YouTube from "Onthethrottle"... You'll fall on your knees by how much this guy knows about suspension setups and adjustments.

The short answer is:

1. Set your preload. (you'll need help to measure.)
2. Set your rebound. (front and back should be about the same)
3. Set your compression. (this will take some back and forth time...)

Ohlins has the best guide for troubleshooting adjustments:

CheckSagRideHeight_MCRT.jpg

Troubleshooting

Problem Try This

If the vehicle feels:
- Unstable --- Increase rebound damping
- Loose --- Increase rebound damping
- Bouncy --- Increase rebound damping

If the vehicle feels:
- Hard --- Decrease rebound damping
- Bumpy --- Decrease rebound damping

If the vehicle feels:
- Soft --- Increase compression damping
- Low --- Increase compression damping
- Bottoming --- Increase compression damping

If the vehicle feels:
- Harsh --- Decrease compression damping
- Hard --- Decrease compression damping

Last edited:
I agree that a complete shock replacement would be the best options offcourse. But changing the Spring should give about an 80% increase in handeling with the standard shock.

But everything comes down to budget and that is differant for all of us.

You have splashed out on the go fast bits now do the same in the handling & brakes dept, always last on the list and cant justify $$$ for a shock?.

You have splashed out on the go fast bits now do the same in the handling & brakes dept, always last on the list and cant justify $$$ for a shock?.

very true!! I have done the same on all my bikes,never put any aftermarket suspension or braking just go fast stuff and the all important bling.This is the first time i am actually considering upgrading my suspension

very true!! I have done the same on all my bikes,never put any aftermarket suspension or braking just go fast stuff and the all important bling.This is the first time i am actually considering upgrading my suspension

The first mod i did was bin the stock shock for Ohlins, i dont know how you guys put up with it. I am 95kg and the thing was a pogo. Honestly, if you spend the $$$ and get a Penske or Ohlins the resale value is very strong and someone on one of these forums will snap it up in a flash. So for the about the same $$$ as a PC3 you could have a top quality shock = to easy.They way i look at it it is an insurance policy having good performing compliant suspension.

The first mod i did was bin the stock shock for Ohlins, i dont know how you guys put up with it. I am 95kg and the thing was a pogo. Honestly, if you spend the $$$ and get a Penske or Ohlins the resale value is very strong and someone on one of these forums will snap it up in a flash. So for the about the same $$$ as a PC3 you could have a top quality shock = to easy.They way i look at it it is an insurance policy having good performing compliant suspension.

All this talk about suspension has me wanting a rear shock all of a sudden...lol. Seriously I have my FZ1 geared up more towards touring now, but I have to do something about that rear shock myself. It just plain sucks, especially with a passenger. On my YZF1000 I have an Ohlins rear shock and Ohlins fork springs (w/ 7.5 weight oil) and that bike handles sooo much better than the FZ1.

I don't know what your talking about Tony. Suspension? This thread was about losing weight. You better buy a shock before you confuse all of your conversations to be about suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if just replacing the rear spirng ('09 FZ1) what options are there? I'm 235 lbs so I would like to improve this area. I ride spirited but not a racer and prefer a compliant setup rather than some track-geared beast.

Thanks

So if just replacing the rear spirng ('09 FZ1) what options are there? I'm 235 lbs so I would like to improve this area. I ride spirited but not a racer and prefer a compliant setup rather than some track-geared beast.

Thanks

you should be looking at a 14kg spring rate. brands doesn't really matters, so long the spring rate is CORRECT.

however, the main issues with FZ1 is the shock body, rather than the spring.

hence, you are better off changing the whole shock.

I didn't know that the Gen II's HAD A SHOCK! OK, so I'm a smart-a** . . . I decided my $$$ would go to replace the thing that they installed and named a shock and purchased an Ohlin! Do I have to say there was a substantial difference in the bike? Now the front end seems, ahh, slightly 'off', so I'm gonna have to fix it.

Back