best garage heating

My mancave has a complete bathroom,cable,jam system but no heat I was thinking a torpedo heater as being the most economical thoughts?suggestions?

torpedos work great lots of heat but uses lots of fuel. what about electric baseboard heaters? I have seen some propain heaters that work good. what are prices of kerosene, propain, and electric in your area?

I would go with either natural/propane gas or electric for a permanent install. kerosene is good as a portable solution but a tank of fuel may only last 8 to 10 hours depending on the btu and how cold it is. When your using 4 or 5 gallons of kerosene to run it 10 hours at 4 bucks a gallon it gets expensive and messy trying to store and transfer the fuel. At that point it would be cheaper to install a central furnace in the corner with just a return filter and one outlet blowing into the room. If it's a garage or shop setting i'd try one of those gas radiant heaters that hang from the ceiling. Or this......

Mr. Heater Natural Gas Garage Heater — 45,000 BTU, Model# MHU45NG | Natural Gas Heaters | Northern Tool + Equipment

They Make these things in gas and electric. If you lived close i could hook you up with a used or new furnace cheap, my brother owns a hvac business.

Last edited:
I dont own this house so anything permanent is not a good option I was thinking torpedo heater,elctric is kinda expensive.My last house had a heated and air conditioned garage god that was awesome!!

I like a free standing vent free radiant propane heater with a thermostat. You don't loose any heat up a chimney and they're handy to have around when the power goes out. The thermostat keeps you from wasting gas on making the room too hot. Since it's radiant some of the heat goes across the room rather than all straight up like you get with the open flame propane heaters.

A torpedo heater will heat up the garage a lot faster if that's something you need. I've seen a stand alone thermostat for a torpedo heater that was on the power cord for the unit that made the torpedo heater a lot nicer to work around.

Last edited:
I guess it would be a good idea to go out and measure my garage so I have an idea of the BTU's I need.the only thing I dislike about torpedo heaters is the noise and the smell.The ceiling hanging ones are alittle to pricey for my blood. I think a portable model will work best.the ones that go ona propane tank look pretty spiffy

i have had the ones that mount to a propane tank they work nice but if you put a small fan behind it the heat will move around the room alot better

Back