BEST G1 mods???

New to the forum and also to the FZ1. Just got a pristine BONE STOCK 2005 FZ1 with 3K miles. Traded in my 1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200s and so far, I'm really liking the Yamaha.

Now here comes the question(s). What are the best performance mods for the FZ1? Please list them as 1,2,..... With #1 being the mod offering the most improvement over stock. I know this is very subjective but all of your opinions are appreciated.

I'm looking at jet kits, fork springs, upgraded rear shock (R6 or similar - don't have the $ for an Ohlins), stainless brake lines, or ???.

FWIW, the best mod to my old Bandit was upgrading to a GSXR shock and progressive springs in the forks.

Again, Thanks from a Newbie on this forum.:bowdown:

For me, it was:

1) K&N, TBR Slip on, Ivans Jet kit (do them together, brand's dont matter just included mine for reference)
2) R1 MC/Braided lines
3) LSL Rearsets + Convertibars (ergo adjustments)
4) Double Bubble screen

I haven't done suspension mods, but even just a $35 pro tune was a big improvement. I'm going to go ohlins in the back and rebuilt fronts when I get the cash. I'm thinking those will probably slip in somewhere around 2-3

1. Suspension--r6 shock, something about the forks. I liked the look of the USD so that's what I did to mine.
2. Jet kit--I did the RR Carb Stuff--and muffler of choice. Made the bike more rideable to me and I love the way my muffler sounds.

Any Jet kit and pipe...big difference...I went Factory Pro Stage 3.0 (pods)...and a Dale Holeshot pipe.

Braided lines a must.

Any screen thats bigger than the OEM.

NOW.....if your over 230lbs and hit the twistys a lot and hard...the sequence just changed............
suspension after the Jet kit and pipe.

I'm about 220 fully decked out, and my stock suspension is at the max settings.....its handles fine for me on the Dragon, but you do feel the limitations on the Parkway.....then for cruzin I back the settings off a couple notches.

Any Jet kit and pipe...big difference...I went Factory Pro Stage 3.0 (pods)...and a Dale Holeshot pipe.

Braided lines a must.

Any screen thats bigger than the OEM.

NOW.....if your over 230lbs and hit the twistys a lot and hard...the sequence just changed............
suspension after the Jet kit and pipe.

I'm about 220 fully decked out, and my stock suspension is at the max settings.....its handles fine for me on the Dragon, but you do feel the limitations on the Parkway.....then for cruzin I back the settings off a couple notches.

1)I found the most severe limitation of the gen1 is the severely undersprung rear shock. I was happy with a resprung rear shock and less progressive fork springs ( I used the springs from a 02 GSF1200) for a couple years. I an now running a BMWS1000rr shock and find it provides better feed back than the R6 shocks I tried.
2)My bike came with an Ivans jet kit installed so jetting was never an issue for me.
3) the only other mods I have are a sargent seat and Givi bags, both are highly recomended.

G1 mods

Thanks to all for the iput!

After some thought, I have decided to work on the suspension & brakes first. These mods can be done relatively quick and have me back to riding ASAP. (I'm going to rejet the carbs/timing advancer this winter when it is too nasty for ME to ride.)

Now how about some suspension questons? Is the stock suspension capable of being tuned for a moderately agressive riding style with a 155# rider ( this is with all gear on)? I don't want to try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but I don't want to spend a buch of $ on new components if it is not necessary.

I have checked my static sag and it is 1.0" at each end with the factory settings. This is good. The bike seemed harsh on each end, so I backed off the compression & rebound dampening 2 clicks on the shock and 2 clicks on the forks and set the pre load to 3 rings showing. A short initial ride was promising but the front end dove too much for my liking. Adjusted the preload to 2 1/2 rings and this reduced the diving. BETTER! I think that I will put a small zip tie on one of the fork legs and ride for a few days just to see how much suspension travel I am using.

So those that have been down this road before me:
1. DID YOU EVER GET YOUR STOCK SUSPENSION DIALED IN?
2. IF YOU UPGRADED SHOCKS/SPRINGS, WHAT COMPONENTS DID YOU USE? (I'm considering a R1 rear & race tech front springs as a relatively inexpensive upgrade)
3. WHAT WAS YOUR IMPRESSION BEFORE & AFTER?

THANKS

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the iput!

After some thought, I have decided to work on the suspension & brakes first. These mods can be done relatively quick and have me back to riding ASAP. (I'm going to rejet the carbs/timing advancer this winter when it is too nasty for ME to ride.)

Now how about some suspension questons? Is the stock suspension capable of being tuned for a moderately agressive riding style with a 155# rider ( this is with all gear on)? I don't want to try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but I don't want to spend a buch of $ on new components if it is not necessary.

I have checked my static sag and it is 1.0" at each end with the factory settings. This is good. The bike seemed harsh on each end, so I backed off the compression & rebound dampening 2 clicks on the shock and 2 clicks on the forks and set the pre load to 3 rings showing. A short initial ride was promising but the front end dove too much for my liking. Adjusted the preload to 2 1/2 rings and this reduced the diving. BETTER! I think that I will put a small zip tie on one of the fork legs and ride for a few days just to see how much suspension travel I am using.

2. IF YOU UPGRADED SHOCKS/SPRINGS, WHAT COMPONENTS DID YOU USE? (I'm considering a R1 rear & race tech front springs as a relatively inexpensive upgrade)

THANKS

I am 165# without gear, suspension is stock I find it works ok after alot of trail and error. I started with recommendations from Pat's motorcyle page and went from there. I would have to check what my settings are as I forget, once I got them good 4 years ago have not touched them. If you want them as a base line let me know.

Is the stock suspension capable of being tuned for a moderately agressive riding style with a 155# rider ( this is with all gear on)?

THANKS
1) stock was much too undersprung for me to dial in
2) I tried 1.0 kg/mm racetech springs in the front but didn't like them. I curently use the fork springs from a 2002 GSF1200 they are much less grogressive then stock and a little higher rate. On the rear I have used a Hayabusa spring on the stock shock, (do not attempt unless your over 230lbs) stock R6 shock, R6 shock with CBR spring, and currently a BMW shock with CBR spring. I am however about a hundred pounds heavier then you.
3) before sucked for a 240lb rider. after is pretty darn good, not perfect, but pretty darn good.
the only mods to the bike in this pic are Bussa spring ($20) and GSF1200 fork springs ($30)
Handles pretty well with nothing but a spring change.
0001.jpg

Last edited:

THANKS

1. I didn't because of my own ignorance.
2. I have 03 R1 forks and the R6 rear shock.
3. Night and day. I did the r1 forks for the looks :shine: and was surprised at how much better they were. This setup is much sportier than the OEM. It has quicker response and as I get it dialed in the bike handles like it's on rails. I have learned more about the importance of the suspension with these mods.

Back