Bent Rims repair or replace.

Ok so i dont know if this is the right section for posting this in but if its not you can move it. But anyway I was riding today and long story short i hit a huge unavoidable pot hole and bent both my front and back wheels. The tire is still on the bead on the front and is holding air, but the back one has a bigger dent in it and the tire wont seal on the bead. So i guess what i am asking is can i take these wheels off and take them to a good machine shop and have them straightened like automotive wheels or will i have to get all new wheels.

RE:

You must have hit those pot holes pretty damn hard. Glad you didn't get thrown off the bike.
You can send the rims off to a shop depending on how bad the damage is, but it might be more cost effective to just get some straight ones used.
Either way your going to have to get the tires off, re-installed and rebalanced so figure that into your cost.
I've seen them on E-Bay pretty cheep.
Good luck!

been there

done that as well :( There was no shop I found that wanted to tackle such a repair so I found a forum memeber selling a rim. Repairing bent motorcycle rims is a no-no by most shops.

I picked up a set of rims for $300. They were off a down bike and the only damage seemed to be some curb checking to the front.

Brand new full retail is around $1100 and I think I figured a discounted partshark pair was around $800

Hope that helps when looking for a fair price

Thanks for the input guys after both of your inputs i am really kind of leaning towards picking up a set of good used wheels. I was looking at brand new O.E.M wheels and they were $600 a piece :jaw drop: so i said no thanks on that one lol. but anyway if anyone has a set they want to get rid of let me know
Thanks.

RE:

On the plus side, if you do get a used set, you can paint them, powder coat or do whatever you want to them. When I swapped out mine I added reflective rim tape and steel bradded brake lines..

I figure I would just have my insurance company write me a check and pick up some used ones for a reasonable deal. However, Guys who fix wheels for a living are damn good at it. I used G to find several places offering motorcycle wheel repair.

It would be better to get a used rims instead of having it repaired, plus the good thing with it you can have it painted on your desired color. Just make sure to double check the rim before purchasing it and ask for warranty if ever there is some leak upon installing the tire.

Back