Belgian travelling to US

Hi guys, seeing/reading all these nice touring/riding scenes, I'd love to plan a trip to and in the USA. Plan would be first to get there, rent a bike (an FZ1 if possible) and schedule a trip visiting as many as possible of you guys. (Maybe you've got a spare bed or sofa where I can sleep)
Idea is to look for this to take place in 2011 or 2012, so plenty of time to plan/save.

So, can you help me out in first where and how best for $ I can rent a bike.

Hi guys, seeing/reading all these nice touring/riding scenes, I'd love to plan a trip to and in the USA. Plan would be first to get there, rent a bike (an FZ1 if possible) and schedule a trip visiting as many as possible of you guys. (Maybe you've got a spare bed or sofa where I can sleep)
Idea is to look for this to take place in 2011 or 2012, so plenty of time to plan/save.

That sounds great Arnold. If your anywhere in NYC you can definitely sleep on a spare bed I have in the livingroom. I just hope you sleep well, you know, with the gunshots and screaming and all. (Just kidding). I have room in the garage for another bike no problem.

I have a couch and a garage in Savannah, Ga if you make it this way.
For bike rentals i would check around Daytona beach, Fla
i know they rent Hogs,, not sure about metrics.

For rental in the US try this place.
Fleet

Holy cow they have the new VFR there for rent! I would have to try that!

BTW if you make it to Houston, TX we have a spare room and a garage to store the bike. We do not have any fantastic roads around here but I do have about a 160 mile nice trip we can take through the national forest and get a nice bowl of chili on the other side. You must have some chili and BBQ when in Texas.

woow really beautiful idea!!!!!!:cheers:
if someone need a sofa in italy, "ring" me :cheers:

I'm in the New Orleans area, the offer is open here as well.

I hope to visit Antwerp next spring/summer, as our plans for the trip this year had to be postponed.

great. Let me know and I 'll show you around

We're going to The Netherlands, Belgium, & Germany with friends.

My friend's parents live in Antwerp. His father is a professional jazz drummer/teacher, and his mother is a textiles artist.

We're looking forward to the trip. :cheers:

received today a quote to ship my bike to NewYork. 500€+ and 13 days at sea. Plus I need to box the bike in seaworthy wooden box (?) So looking at 1000€+ to get my own bike over and back to the US....and airfreight will most likely cost me more, but will be quicker....Advantage of having my own bike there, I'm not bound to rental limitations AND I'm riding an FZ1 when meeting up with you .... to be continued...looks like the plan will most likey be executed in 2012

received today a quote to ship my bike to NewYork. 500€+ and 13 days at sea. Plus I need to box the bike in seaworthy wooden box (?) So looking at 1000€+ to get my own bike over and back to the US....and airfreight will most likely cost me more, but will be quicker....Advantage of having my own bike there, I'm not bound to rental limitations AND I'm riding an FZ1 when meeting up with you .... to be continued...looks like the plan will most likey be executed in 2012

It sounds to me like shipping is cheaper than rental rates here in the states for even just 8 days of rental.

You might be able to go to any local dealer and ask about a shipping crate for the bike. I'm not sure what they do with those once a bike us uncrated. What it is is a large palette with eye hooks to tie the bike down, then build a frame and sheath it with plywood. It would be handy if a forum member could meet you at the dock with a truck and hold the crate for you for return shipment. Do you know which dock would be receiving the bike? Where are you coming into the US? If it is Boston, I'd be willing to meet you and store the crate. :D

And, you're welcome to follow me home and take up the sofa for a couple nights. We can ride together for a solid day in New England. :tup:

Take care!

Last edited:
Hi, Den,

Depending on timing of your visit, would be glad to offer a bed for the night, a garage, and a tour of the area. (Florida Panhandle). I googled "FZ1 rental" and found the following, which I have no connection to or knowledge of, but might be of interest:
Motorcycle Rental - Yamaha FZ1 Fazer - AdMo-Tours

Tx El Tigre. I did request and obtained a quotation. It does confirm it wil be cheaper to ship the bike or for that money I can buy one locally and sell it on my departure (maybe that's an idea?)

28days renting an FZ1 would cost me $5540
28 DAY MOTORCYCLE RENTAL IN NEW YORK, NY
MOTORCYCLE: Yamaha FZ1 ($159/day)
INCLUDED
- Mileage: 300 miles (ONLY 300MILES????)
- Taxes (9.75%)
- Insurance ($20/day)
- Booking Fee $35
NOT INCLUDED
- Extra mileage(THAT'S GONNA COST ME IF I WANNA VISIT YOU ALL)
- Security deposit - $2500 on most models

Tx El Tigre. I did request and obtained a quotation. It does confirm it wil be cheaper to ship the bike or for that money I can buy one locally and sell it on my departure (maybe that's an idea?)

28days renting an FZ1 would cost me $5540
28 DAY MOTORCYCLE RENTAL IN NEW YORK, NY
MOTORCYCLE: Yamaha FZ1 ($159/day)
INCLUDED
- Mileage: 300 miles (ONLY 300MILES????)
- Taxes (9.75%)
- Insurance ($20/day)
- Booking Fee $35
NOT INCLUDED
- Extra mileage(THAT'S GONNA COST ME IF I WANNA VISIT YOU ALL)
- Security deposit - $2500 on most models

Man! Thats a load of crap! I rented a Brand New Harley Road King in Vegas and it cost me less than 400 bucks OTD for a full week with insurance and unlimited miles. They even gave me two helmets! You get it with a full tank and bring it back full. NY thinks their poop don't stink! I rented a new Malibu LXT for a week for 600 bucks to go down to North Carolina with 1800 miles included.

Hell! Get to NY. I have a 250 Ninja you can tool around for a month on! LOL!

Belgian rider

Den,

Given the ridiculously low prices on FZ1s available on this board and elsewhere, you'd be saving money AND helping a Brother to buy one here and sell it back to the owner when you leave. In fact, this would be a great opportunity for somebody who is having trouble selling their bike. By selling it instead of renting the buyer would not have to incur responsibility for insurance. One of those nice $3-4,000 bikes a Board member is having trouble selling could be sold with a buy-back agreement of half price. You'd have a month to ride your own bike at a cost of $1,500-2000 total after buy-back. No shipping, no waiting. And the Board member would have his old bike back with a chunk of change and perhaps still be able to keep his ride. How 'bout it, guys? And don't forget to schedule some Florida riding time. Hope to see you.

300miles total included for whole period....you can imagine the overhead if I'm averaging 4-500 miles a day for 28 days

300 miles for 28 days? Are they insane?

Yeah, you can buy a used bike for $2,500 - $3k in USD and enjoy the hell out of it for 28 days, then leave it here with a member to sell it for you for the same money! Almost free use of a bike. :tup:

Back