Before I buy this

papaageorgio

I was looking at buying this fz1 with the leo vince and other goodies but i haven't looked at it in person yet (200 mi trip) . I noticed the pipe was starting to spot gray and from what i read on this forum it could be from running too lean but that story was from the super trapp cap turning colors. The dealer told me he has a db killer for it but the bike came to the shop without and the scratches on it was from being strapped on the trailer wrong when the first owner dropped it off.
I did ask if the intake was modded and he didn't know. He did say it runs great and sound great but hes a salesmen so i feel like Charlie Brown talking to the teacher "whapp wuu wuu whapp whapp". I talked him down to $5700 otd over the $6500 sticker and he won't budge, i live in Wisconsin currently -4f so i can wait. My worry is that it doesn't come with any of its stock parts. At 1500mi could it be thrashed from a squid owner or am i being over cautious.
Would love to get a fz1 and ride with my wife witch hates my zx6r and my buddies ninja 500 doesn't handle 2 of us well witch she does like to sit on.

2008 fz1 ,clear led front blinkers, i think graves fender el, leo vince sbk evo 2

She is barely broken in and from what I can see, it doesn't look all the bad. Just some scuffing which can be mostly buffed out. Most of the missing stock parts can be had for cheap or free in some cases. Before you buy it though, is there any chance you and her can at least sit on it if not try it out? She might not care for this one either.

Good luck!!!

yes we have sat on a fz1 at the yamaha shop in town but they don't deal with used bikes and i can't go with the 11k prices. We will be going down together to pick it up since her brother is nice enouph to lend me his u-haul trailor

Last edited:
Looks like a nice bike. With the long winter just beginning is there any chance they might come down a little more? It snows there until July, right?

That's a good price and it is in good shape, those tiny blemishes notwithstanding. Take it for a ride and if it rides well then grab it.

5700 otd is a fair price. The rear tire does not show any squid abuse and it's a tough motor so I wouldn't worry about it with only 1500 miles.
I have a set of the radiator covers that I'd make you a good deal on.

I wouldn't worry about the motor. It would take a whole lot of beating to hurt it at 1500 miles. I have built quite a few motorcycle motors including Professional Pro Mod Drag bike stuff and you can flog one pretty hard without hurting it.

I payed $5750 OTD for my 07 with 1600 miles this past October. Sounds like a good deal.

My wife has her own Ninja 250R, so we don't do the 2 up very often. (I just don't like the rear seat on that 250... :jk:) Actually, she doesn't feel comfortable on the back with out a back rest of some sort with all the power, since I'm a bit big around for her to reach :( Since the red isn't as fast as the blue, you guys should be fine... :nana:

If they don't want to budge on the price, but you'd like a little better deal, they might throw in some gear for free, or at least at cost. It shouldn't hurt to ask. Good luck. I expect some pics if you get it! Enjoy. It'll be a long winter, but you'll be rewarded this spring, when ever that hits in WI.

I payed $5750 OTD for my 07 with 1600 miles this past October. Sounds like a good deal.

My wife has her own Ninja 250R, so we don't do the 2 up very often. (I just don't like the rear seat on that 250... :jk:) Actually, she doesn't feel comfortable on the back with out a back rest of some sort with all the power, since I'm a bit big around for her to reach :( Since the red isn't as fast as the blue, you guys should be fine... :nana:

If they don't want to budge on the price, but you'd like a little better deal, they might throw in some gear for free, or at least at cost. It shouldn't hurt to ask. Good luck. I expect some pics if you get it! Enjoy. It'll be a long winter, but you'll be rewarded this spring, when ever that hits in WI.

Good advice!

All good points here for sure.
I dont know much about the cost but I do agree with BDAZZLER, If they wont come down get a throw in item, like Helmet gear, or even a Battery tender.
Also if your concerned about the engine demand a fresh oil change for your comfort.
If they can do a little beyond sale price then the dealer is suspect.
From what ive seen in prices piad around here your right in the ball park of most. Especially with that low of miles.

Heck talk about an extened warrenty. Might be just what you need to feel better about your purchase.

Anything you do I wish you luck and as mentioned pictures upon purchase for us. We like the candy.

the extended warrenty is a good idea
Ill see if they can throw in a pink helm my wife was talking to me about, shes sick of my hand me downs.
Thanks for the new covers offer but i was going to try n paint them with isn't my thing but its nice to know i have a way out lol.
And lastly i was going to get givi sides v35 cases no top case i just don't like them. Corbin passenger with oval backrest, dealer said they have corbin seats so ill have her sit on 1 and as for myself ill ride stock for the first ride comming up in the beginning of May witch should be in the 50-60 temp range in WI.
Ill take pics the day i get it in my yard and post new 1s as i slowly make "her" mine.:wilynily:

5700 OTD good deal scratches are just scratches. My wife is 5'10" and shes done a 100 mi in one sitting with out much discomfort. Its not a C14 or a tourer but if you are just going out for short day trips it will do just fiine.:nerd:

Well im going to buy it a week er 2 after the new year and with some luck ill get my borther inlaws trailor unburried, blasted record breaking snowfall this early in the year. Sold my ninja so only thing in the way is snow and a day off work.
As for the scratches i was thinking of buffing then adding the chrome with jet black drop shadow and painting it in the retro pattern and ill be trying it on a toy first but i got a bud that is a wiz at this stuff in case i make hamburger out of the toy.
Im not married to the idea but it needs a touch up here n there so might as well paint it then perhaps start in with mods. Aslo looking fer ideas other than this. What does everyone think?

Last edited:
Back