BDazzler's road to an FZ1

I just wanted to get opinions from members on my trek to own an FZ1. I'm on my way to test drive an 07 midnight blue with a Corbin seat. I'll get some pics to post later today.

vp1781111_1_large.jpg

Last edited:
Well since you're on an FZ1 forum I don't think we'll talk you out of it...lol

Seriously as you've already heard plenty of times, the FZ1 is a great all around bike and after you test ride it you'll agree. Good luck :tup:

:funpost:

I just wanted opinions of the bike and deal. I don't know If I can post my pics from my phone, but you guys know what a mostly stock FZ1 looks like anyway. It comes with a Corbin seat, which I think I liked, but I was only on it for about 20 min. He said the stock seat is around somewhere too. The stock windshield was on It, which I thought was fine for what I rode today, but it comes with a touring screen too. I didn't ask what brand. He quoted me an out the door price of $5750. It's better than the price of the red 06 I'm also looking at. It's at a good dealership that I've used before and trust, but this branch is 2 hour away. I'm sure the other branch would service It for me.

Well, I'll write more later, but I've got to drive home right now. Can't type and drive. Thanks for any coments. And I already got wife approval :) since she wants me to ride with her when she rides her 09 Ninja 250.

Last edited:
Definitely stick with the 07. The 06 had some FI problems. How many miles on it?

Oops, forgot the milage... around 1700 to 1800. The salesman said the previous owner had several bikes and his wife wanted a bike, so he traded in the FZ1 because he rode it the least (what a looser, huh? but good for me) I didn't ask what the guys other bikes were or what he got for his wife, but I wanted to. :p

I got it up to 86 in first and only took it up to 107 in 3rd, then I putted around in 6th to see how normal driving would be. Man, I've got so many tickets headed my way... :doh2:

It did handle better than I expected for an upright liter bike. I can only imagine what the FZ6 is like, but I still want the FZ1 :yes:

Well with that mileage and at a dealer that's not a bad price OTD for an '07. Oh and now that you have ridden the FZ1, you probably wouldn't be happy with the FZ6.

You never really know if the salesman is telling the truth or not, but he claimed the service manager took it home over the weekend and was in talks to buy it today, but they'd rather make a little more money on it from me. If that's true, I'd hope he had looked it over enough to know it was in good shape. I'm still taking that with a grain of salt, but it did look like it had been through a few mud puddles and they several hours to clean it before I got there... oh well, I'm buying it now.

I'll check it for cracks in the frame, fluid drips and rust. I didn't give it a full look, but I didn't notice anything in my quick, initial inspection.

I had ridden the 2006 earlier, but they only let me take it through a small subdivision across the road. No highway to open it up at all. Today they gave me the keys, signed a release, copied my license and said have fun. :wow: Below 4000 it seems pretty weak, 4000-6000 pretty good, 6000-8000 was strong and 8000-redline was holy shit. I always meant to try the FZ6 first, but all I could find were new ones, and the dealers were reluctant to prep them to ride if you didn't look like you were going to buy it that day.

Thanks for all the input. It'll still be a month or two before I can pick it up. I refuse to finance, so I'm making some cash payments until it's payed off. I hope the service manager doesn't drive it too much while I'm waiting :)

I think there was a Honda VFR800 there too, but I'm not 100% sure of the size. I almost took it for a test too, but I couldn't cheat on the FZ1 :p

Last edited:
I intended to walk in with all the money at once. I was just looking around, but I fell in love and the price seemed right. To secure it, I had to put down a little and then my bonus will come next month, so that will cover the rest. I'm glad I checked it out when I did, if it was true that the service manager was ready to buy it today. I guess it was fate, even though I kinda preferred the red, I've heard the blue is faster anyway :p

This is by far not my first bike, but it is the biggest I've ever owned and most powerful I've driven (I think it should outclass the full dress BMW my brother used to have) :th_smiley_rotfl2[1]

There was another dealer with a blue 2005, but it has almost 18,000 miles on it, and is only about $1000 cheaper. I kinda wanted the fuel injection too. I hate messing with the choke. Very nice, but just not as good a deal.

vp1779759_1_large.jpg

Last edited:
They said they'd throw in the original seat and touring windshield. I haven't gotten to the point to ask for the fresh oil, but I can't see them having a problem with that. Good thought. Maybe a bit of wax too. The centerstand had a lot of chain oil splatter too. I'm assuming they'll give it a complete cleaning before final pick up.

OK, I haven't had time to take the pictures yet, but I brought my baby home on 10/01/2010! We've been very happy, except for the cold weather for several days. Since I work 7pm to 7am I've been reluctant to ride to work knowing I would have the very cold morning to ride home.

I already have T-Rex sliders on the way and gold Fire Dragon Brothers levers coming.

I'm loving the Corbin seat, but I haven't put the larger windshield on it yet. Thanks to all for the input and encouragement. I love this community. I'll have to see how long it takes me to do more significant mods. I'm looking at some Michelin tires in the future. Right now I'm just enjoying having a bike again after such a long time without one. This is by far the most powerful bike I've ever ridden, and I'm loving it, except it's too comfortable at about 100mph. I really have to watch that. :teeter:

I'm still looking for a jacket that fits my fat belly, but I'll purchase one soon. I feel bad posting without pictures, but I'll take some this weekend. It still looks pretty stock except for the Corbin seat. I'll get those sliders and FDB levers on soon. :)

Back