Bar mounted phone holder?

Hey everyone,

I've been looking at various phone holders that i can mount to the bar on my 07 but was hoping for some suggestions. The trick here is that I'm looking for one that has a usb port attached to it. I don't mind running wires but definitely need to have a way of charging my phone while I'm riding and haven't found a logical place to put a charger separate from the holder. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Side note: I found some RAM style mounts with usb ports built in but they're in china and I'm hoping to find something American made if possible.

Ram ball mount on a bolt that replaces one of the bar raiser bolts, Short RAM arm, RAM X-mount. Separate but on the bars is a power outlet for 12v and USB. I connect the phone or SatNav using a short USB cable. It works quite well, even at 100mph.
file_zps1bc64853.jpg

I like having the 12v outlet so I can run a tyre pump or drop in an adaptor and have a 2nd USB point. This pic shows a bit better how it is all attached.
file_zpsfe83cbdb.jpg

I use the RAM X mount on a short arm. For power I have installed three power outlets on the left inner fairing. The main one is a Yamaha Watercraft version and it faces up with a cover. The other two are under the left inner fairing wired in parallel to the main one. I use the little USB plugs that go into the cigarette lighter sockets, I have both a single and a double.

Now I can run my Garmin GPS, charge my phone, charge my BT headset and run my CB. All are low amperage so they don't overwhelm the alternator.

BTW a friend has the "Chinese" version with a USB hook up on it. It is too small to hold an iPhone + and you still need to wire it up to either the battery or as I did the running lights so it switches off with the ignition switch.

Last edited:
Just ordered this as I prefer to have the ability to charge my phone while the bike is off and not have a constant drain when nothing is plugged in. Still looking at options for the Ram mount. Thinking of doing a bar clamp setup.

Sorry that I have no pictures of my wiring set up.

Something to consider is that the USB charger is always drawing current from the battery if you go direct (it's a vampire). Just something else to remember when you store the bike but if you have a tender it shouldn't drain the battery.

I only plug the phone in when traveling so I can use the Google Navigate and Pandora or MP3 functions and for that the charger is perfect, otherwise I don't even put the phone on the bars and keep it in my jacket pocket while commuting or riding for fun. I never leave the phone on the bike when not using it so I never would direct wire the charger to the battery.

Back