Bar ends

I purchased oem bar ends to replace scuffed ones. One would not tighten up all the way, and allowed the threaded sleeve to come out. Are the sleeves supposed to be welded in? Do I have to replace the bars?

He said the threads came out. The threaded sleeve is spot welded from a hole on the side of the bar if its like my Raider.

He said the threads came out. The threaded sleeve is spot welded from a hole on the side of the bar if its like my Raider.

You're right they are supposed to be spot welded, but I was saying that under normal circumstances it should have threaded right it. However, it the threads were messed up somehow I could see how that spot weld would fail and allow the threaded insert to come loose. If the thread are clean then you should be able to install the bar ends by hand and just tighten them up at the end with an Allen wrench.

Threads are good, but a piece of sleeve is still welded to the inside of bars. Ordered new bars from part shark. Might try to grind sleeve fragment out and spot weld sleeve back in.

Keep in mind that the original bar ends are heavy and this helps reduce sudden and violent swings of the steering if you hit a pothole on the bias.
It may save your skin.

Back