bandit 400 help

rwgoldsmith

i decided since you guys are so helpful and the guys at the bandit 400 forum well there isnt alot of them there so very little help. i'm just looking for ideas any ideas.
i have a 1991 suzuki bandit 400 that i got an ex girlfriend when she passed her riders test. but she never rode it. so i would take it out occasionally until it suddenly died on me in the middle of no where. then it sat as i didnt have much time and a fz to ride in my spare time. now since my fz is at the shop i needed something to do. it turned out it had a shorted battery and the o rings in the carbs were fairly non existent. that got it running fairly well. then i did a fluids change. and now she barely runs when she does get started she revs straight to 3500-4000 then will very slowly back off then when you hit the throttle its the same revs to 4000 then very slowly backs off.
thanks for any ideas you might pass my way
RW

It sounds like carbs for sure, Maybe an air leak. If the bike has been sitting and the gas has gummed up, It could be that your pilot jets are plugged. When this happens you will have little or no fuel flow at 0-1/4 throttle. The pilots always plug up first as they are the smallest orifice of all the jets. That would explain your bike not having an idle or low rpm and only wanting to run at the higher rpm as the main jets supply most of the fuel at that speed.
Hope that helps.

I'm with Utah06FZ1 on this one. I had Ninja 600 that would do about the exact same thing. I pulled the carbs and pilot jets were plugged. Do a thorough cleaning of the jets and blow carb cleaner through all the orifices to make sure none of them are plugged.
For about $20 you can buy a gallon of dip in a paint sized can and soak all the jets and blast them out with carb cleaner. Try not to use anything too hard to pass through the jets as you may change the jet size if you take any material off. Watch the main jets when you take them out, the middle jets are generally a couple sized bigger than the outer two jets. All the jets should be marked with their size.
Try to keep all the parts for each carb separate and put them back in their respective carb.
Be sure to remove your pilot screws and clean those passages. You may need to remove a pressed in cap that covers them by drilling it out to get to them. Pay attention to how far they are screwed out. Gently screw them in until they are seated paying attention to the number of turns, then unscrew and remove them. They should have a small washer, o-ring, and a spring behind them. Replace the o-ring if it's cracked or deteriorated.

Clean everything and replace and you should be good to go.

Double check your carb mounting boots and carbs for leaks by spraying misted water or starting fluid around the carbs and boots. The engine should stumble or rev, depending on what you use, if you have a leak.

ill triple check my passages and my pilot screws but everything was free and clear and if it had an o ring i replaced it when i overhauled. i think i may have found part of the problem.well on a hunch i checked spark, and while i get spark on all 4 all are really weak. this being said only 2 spark plugs work. i swapped plugs around to check. i checked the coils and they are both reading about 13-14k ohms. it appears that the service manual and it wants 30-50k is there anything i should check before i order new ones.

It doesn't sound like anything electrical, Your symptoms are fuel related I am pretty sure. Not to say it could be something I have never encountered.

well guys thanks for the help but it was the coils, just swapped in some new ones and she fired right up. needs a sych real bad but is rideable :)
anyone got a sych guage they would lend me lol:)

Back