Baby Steps.. need advice

I bought an 07 FZ1 last summer. It sat after I road it for a short time for the Winter, now its riding season again!! It is a bone dry stock model. The only thing that I have done to it is a Fendor eliminator kit and replaced the front tire with something a little more sporty. So here is my question..

Where do I begin??

If you had it to do all over again and had a blank canvas like this one, where would you start? The reason I ask is I am not so inclined on what is the best first step in progressing the bike down the road of mantastic performance. I know that some mods like the PCIII are dependant upon other mods and might not work quite as well as planned if you dont have a better air filter or aftermarket exhaust and so forth. So i was wondering, in what order would you start to build up your dream fz1? Take into consideration that I don't want to go broke...

What should I do first, then next? Which mods can I do that don't have other dependencies..

Thanks alot guys, you rock and don't grille me too hard :)

Hello and welcome in..... i think the best place to start would be to have a good read of the threads in this fourum, theres some great advice and ideas!!!

Suspension, Suspension, SUSPENSION!! The rear shock for the GEN II cannot be serviced and depending upon your weight, suspension overall usually lacking (over 150 it starts to get worse with the more weight you add). If you start with a good foundation, the rest will follow and be that more enjoyable....

Sure you can do the horsepower mods and you can do "farkle" mods to add to the overall look of the bike, and get alot more bang for you buck -- but if I could start on my quest over again, I would sink my funds into upgrading the suspension first.

But then I have a Gen I, but I figure it is universal across all bikes....

BroHay

I bought an 07 FZ1 last summer. It sat after I road it for a short time for the Winter, now its riding season again!! It is a bone dry stock model. The only thing that I have done to it is a Fendor eliminator kit and replaced the front tire with something a little more sporty. So here is my question..

Where do I begin??

If you had it to do all over again and had a blank canvas like this one, where would you start? The reason I ask is I am not so inclined on what is the best first step in progressing the bike down the road of mantastic performance. I know that some mods like the PCIII are dependant upon other mods and might not work quite as well as planned if you dont have a better air filter or aftermarket exhaust and so forth. So i was wondering, in what order would you start to build up your dream fz1? Take into consideration that I don't want to go broke...

What should I do first, then next? Which mods can I do that don't have other dependencies..

Thanks alot guys, you rock and don't grille me too hard :)
I think the best place to start mods is frame sliders, the sooner the better. The first thing I ordered was a fender eliminator to get rid of that ugly mudflap, but due to the fickles of shipping, the sliders got here first.

The rest depends on what you want out of the bike. More performance, or just to make it more individual for yourself. There are convenience options that some want. I wanted more adjustable levers, espcecially on the clutch side.

Since I am an older rider and relative newcommer to sport bikes, I'm not that interested in performance upgrades, so I've gone for convenience and comfort, as well as making the bike look like I want it to. The number one item that will make my bike more useful for my riding is the Corbin Smuggler, since the raw bike has absolutely no places to stick the smaller necessaries, like sunglasses/or goggles, gloves, a cap to cover your helmet hair when you get there, water bottle and a compact stuff sack backpack for those trips to the market. And a towel. Never explore the galaxy without a towel. A way to lock your helmet is handy. I got bar end helmet locks.

I did the basics all from the get go.

Rizoma bars...put you in a slightly better/more comfortable position.
Pazzo levers...I have small hands and the adjustment makes life sooo much better.
Gilles rear sets...not necessarily a first off mod but I love the seating position they afford.
R&G sliders...frame, forks, bars and swing arm...a must in bike preservation. I use the rears for the paddock stand so an absolute definite.
Exhaust...a must for my preservation...increase the volume and the cage drivers react quicker. Without any other mod this makes the bike run more freely...MORE BHP, cat out, exup off, no DB killer, third of the weight. Screws the fuel efficiency though.
K&N filter...reasonably inexpensive but no real benefit without exhaust and PCIII.
PCIII...now I can't say, precisely, what this is doing because it does not seem to have changed the bike at all but my technician swears that it added something to the power curve from the Dyno run.
Tyres will be next for me....V important

If you have a motorcycle, you're already on your way to going broke, or at least spending some serious cash. Second, I would say that there can't be more than a couple guys on this forum that can physically out-perform their motorcles (although they may think they can) so going gonzo on a bunch of really expensive upgrades is one of those things that has little return for the buck. If you want to personalize the thing to make it more you, look around to see the stuff YOU like. If you want to make it someone else's bike, then follow their advice and that includes mine as well. As has alrady ben said, if you look around this forum, you'll see some stuff you like and some you're not so crazy about.

Two more things that you may wish to consider. A powerlet power bar or similar. Allows for simple plug in of battery conditioner, sat nav, heated clothing etc. The other thing is some type of auto chain oiler...I need to refit my scottoiler....both bloody good bits of kit.

Lonerider59's correct in saying that you should only do what suits you and your pocket. Also concur with the point made about riders ability vs the bike they ride.

frame sliders.
windshield.
two brothers slip on
pazzo levers
adjusted stock suspension. easy. see manual
sargent seat

more to follow, but alas no money left !!!!

Back