Avon Storm ST's installed

These tires are about 1000x's better than the factory installed Dunlops! Will give wear details on these as time goes by. What a difference so far though!

Michelin user here

I'm interested in how they will perform, but from my experiance with Avon's similar in design, Azaro ST 45 and 56's. I'd encounter a 'skip', an inch or three on downshifts while leaned moderatly, on a Buell, otherwise a stellar grip. Still if they were still available, I might use them, unfortunatly to my knowledge, all you can find out there are old stock, a couple years or more, if at all. Keep us tuned in.

Last edited:
I'd like to know your thoughts on these... when I bought my FZ, it came with the Avon Azaro's on it.... I rode on them for about 200 miles, and then I was sick of how they'd let loose all of the time... even under moderate throttle at modest lean angles.... hopefully, they've come a long way since then.

I'll be sure to give my opinion on them in the future. So far the bike just seems a lot smoother than before. Of course most replacement tires would compared to the Dunlops i'm sure!

I'm like Aaron... not convinced. I've never run on Avon tires but I've read a lot of complaints in several forums about them, enough to cause me to not consider buying them.

My next set of tires will be a set with grip and likely just be scrubbed in before the Deal's Gap meet. ;) After that, the next set will be geared for touring. My wife and I are planning an EPIC motorcycle journey that will circle the lower 48 and cover over 10,000 miles but that is going to be about 3 years away.

My experience with Avon tires-both Auto and Motorcycle- is fantastic performance, but short life. In N. America- I believe- Gen II FZ1s came with Michelin Pilot Road tires. Mine did. I find the Pilot Road a competent tire. In fact, I'll probably replace with the same. :sport12:
BTW: Avon (auto tires, anyway) are now owned by Cooper Tire.

My experience with Avon tires-both Auto and Motorcycle- is fantastic performance, but short life. In N. America- I believe- Gen II FZ1s came with Michelin Pilot Road tires. Mine did. I find the Pilot Road a competent tire. In fact, I'll probably replace with the same. :sport12:
BTW: Avon (auto tires, anyway) are now owned by Cooper Tire.

Mine came new with Dunlop Sportmax. Like riding on ice when they were a little cold.
The rear tire was chopped up with only 1500 miles on it. JUNK.

Mine came new with Dunlop Sportmax. Like riding on ice when they were a little cold.
The rear tire was chopped up with only 1500 miles on it. JUNK.

Yea, the Michelin Pilot Roads were definitely better than the Dunlop Sportmax. I still have my original Pilot Roads and can't complain about them. When they go I will probably replace them with the Pilot Road 2CT.

I replaced the OEM Battlax Bridgestones on my Triumph with the Storm STs and liked them a lot. When I sold it, the Storms had 7K miles and barely looked worn.

Another thing I 'found out' is that some Avon tires have a hazard replacement warranty. I got a flat (nail) in the rear and Avon sent me a brand new tire - FREE! Couldn't complain about that.

I replaced my stock 'whatever they were' on my warrior for avon storms and it completely ruined the ride for me. Really hard and more vibration at slow speeds. I'd have given anything for the stock tires back.

I don't mind the stock fz1 tires at all. Infact they feel like butter compared to the storms.

Avon Storm

I just bought a new one for my ride. Have not even put it on yet. Now after reading this, I kinda wish I had gone with Michelins. I got it at such a great price I thought I was doing the right thing!:eek:

BT21's

I read a lot of bad stuff on the avon's also since they changed compounds. Last changeout I did was with the BT21's for both front and rear. I'm a commuter so not the most aggresive rider, but I ride whether its pouring or sunny, 90mph most of the way and like to dig into turns. I haven't had any issues with my BT21 series tires. They're not as sticky as you'd want for mountain riding, but I have over 5k miles on them and they have atleast that much more on them. I'm happy anyways, but of course the style of riding dictates what kind of tires you really need. JMO

I don't know how you guys get so many miles out of these various tires on an FZ1:confused::cool: because if I get 2,000 I'll be doing great on these Michelin PPctII's..........serriously. Ok, early on I'd wank'it out to redline when accelerating to get the 8,000+rush, but it wasn't every time, though I'd accelerate briskly, then I came to my sences and would ride slowly, accelerate slowly and stay within the speed limit.......60/40 with the 60 being getting it on, 40 cruiseing, and about half way through that just cruiseing. The bike came with a new Michelin on the rear, I got a new front off of ebay (it actually seems to be noticable), the wear on it.

Anyway the bike came with 7,300-ish miles as I remember, and now I have 8,944 miles, and the rear, well it has that look where I should be thinking about another ebay tire soon, it's squared and the tread grooves are about as deep as a round toothpick, mabe just an n'th more, but not much. Heak, that's just a little over 1,600 miles, what gives? do these Michelins their selling at give-away priceing have some different compound or something? Anyway, I'm going to be in the market soon again for a rear, and I always run the tires in matching pairs...ie. Michelin PPctII's or Bridgestone BT14's or ......you get the idea. Is my riding an annomoly? do you guys ride 'much easier' or something? I'm eyeing the 'Road Attacks' myself now, as they seem to be (on different Sportbike forums) the tires that are giving good stick and mileage. I'd like to try Pirelli's but the price sort of holds me at arms length.

I did good with the Avons I had on my old Buell, and the Buell has a brutal power pulse to the motor compared with a inline 4 with it's smooth power pulses, thus you'd expect a shorter lifespan on a V twin, never the less I got about 2,200 or thereabouts on them, and that was with a daily 80 mile drive on the California Desert freeway. The reason I mention 'Desert' is because the sand present on the road sort of accelerates the wear the same as sandpaper.... sort of. I'm so far thinking three ways to go. The Storms, the Road attacks, or the Michelins again.

I'm like Aaron... not convinced. I've never run on Avon tires but I've read a lot of complaints in several forums about them, enough to cause me to not consider buying them.

My next set of tires will be a set with grip and likely just be scrubbed in before the Deal's Gap meet. ;) After that, the next set will be geared for touring. My wife and I are planning an EPIC motorcycle journey that will circle the lower 48 and cover over 10,000 miles but that is going to be about 3 years away.

I hope you are stopping in Houston! :)

I hope you are stopping in Houston! :)

Our trip will be taking us through the heart of Texas. We want to stop in one or more places to see forum folks around Houston, Austin and San Antonio. One of the goals of this trip is to meet as many members from three separate forums along the way to get to ride a ways with them, have a meal, take some pics... We're going to journal the whole trip. I'm considering a new Netbook and an air card just for the trip and blog it here on the forum. The pics would only be uploaded at hotspots though... aircards and large data transfers don't mix!

It's going to shoot the entire year's vacation time for both of us but I think it will be the trip of a lifetime. :D

Our trip will be taking us through the heart of Texas. We want to stop in one or more places to see forum folks around Houston, Austin and San Antonio. One of the goals of this trip is to meet as many members from three separate forums along the way to get to ride a ways with them, have a meal, take some pics... We're going to journal the whole trip. I'm considering a new Netbook and an air card just for the trip and blog it here on the forum. The pics would only be uploaded at hotspots though... aircards and large data transfers don't mix!

It's going to shoot the entire year's vacation time for both of us but I think it will be the trip of a lifetime. :D

Well for giggles I would join you from Houston to Austin. Maybe even SA.

Back