Auto choke

hi all, i,m searching for a bit of advice about my 2008 FZ1. the high idle/auto choke has always worked every morning when i start the bike. My problem has been this past week it seems to have stopped working and barley wants to tick over when started and is very lumpy. Its absolutley fine when warm. I do have a bunch of mods and a PC3 but this was all set up a few months ago and never had any problems with it until this week. Does anyone have any ideas?? before i start tearing it apart lol

I have the same prob as does Stormsmack posted in Gen11 workshop (no response so far )
If its any help mine is intermittent depending on the air temperature , it gets quite warm in my garage at the moment , so wondered if this affects it .
hopefully some one can shed some light on this

Have your dash to show water temp and see if that looks reasonable. My bet is it is showing warmed up all of the time even when the water temp should be about the same as the outside air temp.

Just a guess

Beast

OK, for those interested i managed to find out what the problem was. after removing tank and air box i found that after all my washing and cleaning of the bike, it must have somehow caused the thermowax ubit to sieze up a little due to lack of lubrication. so after working it free and lubing every single moving part i could see whi i had the tank up, she works an absolute treat now!!! Hope this helps someone else!!

Hi, I just wanted to say thanks for this post as I had the same problem with cold starting. When I took the thermo wax unit apart it was all gummed up, i had to use a hammer and punch to get the rod out. I have cleaned it up and put some silicon lube to stop it corroding, it may go gooey in another 5 years time but it works a treat now. :cheers:

First off Hi and welcome aboard
What sort of a job is it to get the unit out once the air box is out the way ?
Just trying to plan the job time wise

I attacked mine today & its a fairly straight forward process , once the tank & air box are out of the way the thermo unit can be found to the rear / centre of the throttle bodies ,, identified by the two small water pipes one either side of it . I first removed these and plugged the ends with an old bolt ,un hook the thumb idle screw from its bracket as this comes out with it , next undo the two cross head screws holding the mounting bracket to the throttle bodies Not the two in the top of the wax unit , then by moving the unit at a rearward angle you can unhook the return spring, now you can lift the unit out with the idle cable attached . Now on the bench you can remove the top from the unit and carfullly remove the spring & plungers noting the order, it was the lower plunger rod on mine where it exits the housing that was siezed , a good clean ,& lubricant then reassembled in reverse order , whole job start to finish is no more than a couple of hours , other thing to check is the linkage on the throttle bodie are free by working by hand , you can also check the thermo unit by pouring hot water over it and measuring its movement .

Last edited:
Back