Austin MotoGP, April 2014

Dustin

So, I've just booked holidays in April in anticpation of the MotoGP @ COTA in Texas. My total days off are 11, from April 6 to 16.

This thread exists now to help me trip plan as I intend on riding. Taking Interstates only, it'll be about 8000 km / 5000 miles round trip. Subtracting the Saturday & Sunday I'll be watching the race, that gives me 9 days to get there and back.

I have no idea about fun routes and stuff but it looks tight for time if I want veer off the 'road more travelled'. I'd like to average no more than 1000 km a day which means I can do about 9000 km round trip, adding 1000 km for fun and sight seeing

Travel plans start... Now!

Last edited:
Well, I don't know where you'll be staying in Austin (or if even in Austin), but I enjoy this little run ...

1431 out of Cedar Park (it's on the northwest side of Austin) west to Marble Falls. From there, take 281 North to Park Road 4 S - where you will turn left, and head west towards Long Horn Cavern State Park. Follow Park Road 4 (making sure not to miss the scenic overlook at Devil's WaterHole, near Inks Lake) till it turns north and deposits you onto 29.

At this point you have a couple of choices: you can turn back around and go back the way you came, or you can take 29 East to Burnet. At Burnet you can either take 281 south to Marble Falls and then back track to Austin, east on 1431 ... or you can continue east on 29 through Burnet and all the way back to the Austin area, where you can catch 183 and hook it south to get back into Austin proper.

Sorry, I bet there is a way to route this on Google maps and post a map image and all that, but I haven't played around with Gmaps enough yet to be proficient with it.

As far as those roads go, 1431 is a nice ride through typical Texas Hill Country, and has some nice wide sweepers and decent views. Park Road 4 has a section of 'roller coaster' straights shortly after you get on it headed west from 281 - and then it has some slightly technical stuff towards the end, before you hit 29. Certainly, they aren't NEARLY as nice as what I imagine you have in Canada, but if you'd like to 'taste' some of the local roads while you're down this way, those aren't bad ones to try.

Last edited:
Thank you! To Google Maps! :)

I'll be booking a hotel near the track, I get discounts through a particular group of hotels

Last edited:
Does anyone know the status of the Northern states during April? I know Beartooth Pass isn't clear until May so I'd have to skip that on the return ride

That's a whole bunch of riding in 11 days total.....with much of it on interstates which is b-o-r-i-n-g. Even in Texas April can be an iffy month for good riding weather....it can still be cool and rainy. One possibility would be to fly down and rent a bike for a week or so to tour around central TX at your leisure. I just wouldn't be too keen superslabbing a bike from Canada for days on end. And in early- to mid-April I would wager that you are going to hit nasty, cold, wet weather either coming or going on the Vancouver to Austin route.

I went to the MotoGP on April 21 this year and the weather was very pleasant, but then 12 days later I went to see Jimmy Buffett at the COTA venue on May 2nd and it was so cold and windy (in the low 40's) that they couldn't put the sound system together and they had to postpone it to May 3rd....supposedly only the third time Buffett had ever had to reschedule a concert due to weather. Springtime in TX can be very iffy.

Last edited:
Distance is fun. Seeing your surroundings change drastically day after day and hours of buzzing along with only yourself to talk to :)

I would happily plot a route of secondary highways if it's possible. I've already got an interesting route plotted south from home to Arizona. I'm sure there are outstanding views to be seen way down south

Something like this, perhaps:
http://goo.gl/maps/lmnFy

Last edited:
I looked at your map, and just a couple of things to say ...

If you haven't been to Cali before, you should enjoy that, but like Evitzee said you're gonna hit some cold and rain. Those are really non-issues though, if you are prepared for it, and used to riding in the stuff. The first time I went to Cali from Texas, I had two full days of rain, and that was in May.

Also, looking at your route ... YOU SHOULD CROSS DEATH VALLEY! And then cruise through the Vegas Strip - You know - just to say you did it ... unless you've already been to those places, that is.

I haven't been through Death Valley before but I have crossed Nevada West to East on highway 50. Is it worth seeing?

I have ridden in Northern California a few times now and it's my favourite place to ride. Rain and cold is a non issue for me as well.

I've only crossed Death Valley that one time (2012) and to be honest I did so much on that trip, that the memory is mostly a blur. What I remember most vividly about it was descending down from the mountains into the Valley - that view was very cool! I also remember a distinct thermocline at about 2,000 feet.

I remember the crossing as being pretty cool, but that probably has more to do with the fact that I 'CROSSED DEATH VALLEY' than what I actually saw.

That's a pretty crappy answer, eh? Sorry I can't do better than that ... maybe I should go to bed, lol!

I'm an internet junkie, sad but true, lol ... Anyways, I just perused some photos and what not of Death Valley and jogged my memory. Yes, lol - route it into your trip.

:D

Ambitious

Looks like a lot of miles considering that is only half of them. Looks like a good route though.

I thought I was being ambitious just getting to Colorado and back in 15 days. Different kind of riding though.

Early April is a real crap shoot with the weather and the mountain passes. The internet forecaster will be your best friend. If cold or snow good old I 5 south and a left in Bakersfield. Man you are going to have some squared off tires after that run.

Early April is a real crap shoot with the weather and the mountain passes. The internet forecaster will be your best friend. If cold or snow good old I 5 south and a left in Bakersfield. Man you are going to have some squared off tires after that run.

Good, then I can replace these crummy Bridgestones with some Pilot Roads :)

Last edited:
That looks like a nice route!

In Arizona, about 20 miles east of Benson on I 10 there is a stretch of road through 'Texas Canyon'. You'll enjoy that, there are some very cool rock formations there.

1,200 km days will knock that out in 4 days - easy. Of course if you are camping along the way, it will require an extra bit of planning and determination. But it can be done.

Depending on your tire situation along the way, there are Cycle Gears in both Austin and Tucson. But with a trip like this, I'm sure that you have already planned appropriately for tires and the like.

I booked my General Admission tickets for COTA and my hotel in Austin has been booked for Friday through Monday. I need to work on a route home now!

It occurred to me that I haven't actually seen the Grand Canyon! I have been there but it was a complete fog-out and I saw zilch. I think this return trip from Austin is an ideal opportunity to see it. I have been through Nevada and a lot of Utah already so perhaps I could find another way back from the Grand Canyon. No Vegas, though.

Bring on the suggestions!

Back