attn computer guys

I have an HP pavilion DV6 laptop and it has the infamous broken hinges anybody got any experience with tearing one of these down the hinges are like 30 bucks but installing them aint cheap.I have no experience with PC disassembly.I also have my wifes DV7 which the motherboard took a dump but daughter is giving me her DV7 with bad hard drive for parts.I guess the lesson is dont buy HP products.The new laptop I just bought the wife is a toshiba.

I may try the repair on the DV7 first since that one is totally dead motherboard and the one I am getting for parts has bad hard drive which looks pretty easy to replace.my DV6 still works but one side of hnge is broken and the other side is going that is aside from the software issues it has

In the many years I have been in the IT industry I can back up your statement to avoid HP personal products, their business grade server stuff works fine, but the personal laptop and desktop stuff is crap.

In the many years I have been in the IT industry I can back up your statement to avoid HP personal products, their business grade server stuff works fine, but the personal laptop and desktop stuff is crap.

it sucks that the stuff only lasts like 2 years.the DV7 only lasted alittle over 2 years and my DV6 will be 2 this christmas if it lasts that long I have severe doubts

+a billion

on avoiding HP personal computing products. I had to take apart my friend's HP laptop to fix the fan because any weight on the laptop (such as a palm resting on the palmrest) was enough pressure to press the case against the cpu fan and bring it to a screeching, audibly annoying halt.

Another friend's dvd drive broke just outside of warranty. Another's mobo fried.

I've gotten to the point where if any of my friends ask me to fix an HP laptop I tell them the only way to fix it is get a Dell (or really any non-HP manufacturer)

If hard drive wont work, swap out with working and don't mess with it. Same machine?

I've had several hp over the years and never had a problem until I stepped up to the big leagues (HP Envy).

The first few months of ownership, was spent in their facility being repaired. Heat sink, fans, techs breaking stuff while repairing others, screen, case, memory, drive......now the keyboard bezel is popping out and time to send in again. But all done under warranty and even gave me a free year extension.

Fortunately, im not that busy so it will not be missed.

But when this thing dies, ill be switching to another brand for I should of just stayed middle of the road and been happy instead of jumping ahead in the technology department.

As Billy said, you tube and ebay have saved me some money for older/out or warranty computer repair.

I guess we learn something new every day, I always thought HP laptops were good. My Dell laptop is now five years old and except for the hard drive that went out in the first six months it has been dead reliable and has travelled the world. I was thinking of replacing it with an HP but it seems it is better to stay away from HP consumer products.

I currently have 2 Dell Laptops, and 2 self built PC's. No issues with either Dell in the past few years.
I also had a good run with some of the older IBM (now Lenovo) laptops, and a Solid Mac Book Pro running Bootcamp.

I had never heard of lenovo saw some for sale.I bought the wife a Toshiba since my son has had no problems with his and she seems to like it so far,only had it a couple days now.

I think Lenovo makes great machines. They're very reliable - mine survives being lugged to and from the office, to client meetings, traveling, basically everything I do related to work, and has held up great.

I can't give a true review of their performance though because my company thinks four years is a laptop's lifecycle, when buying old models at the beginning of that 4 year period. Combine that with the old software I'm stuck on (helloooo IE 6, my how most of the world doesn't officially support you anymore) and all the waste the company has installed and it runs like a piece ...

I've never owned a Dell laptop but my roommate has only purchased those and they're very reliable for him.

I've personally only owned Apple laptops since they switched to Intel.

I just replaced an 9 yr old Dell Laptop....survived traveling and work and play with only a battery and keyboard replacement - needless to say though, I've taken pretty good care of it.

Sad to hear the HP laptops are junk, I had a HP workstation for a few years in one client's office where I worked on contract and was impressed with it and considered getting a HP laptop to replace my old one. I'm glad I stuck with a Dell.

I don't usually get into laptops but I have formatted many for friends and family and I love Toshiba products. They are very reliable and have great video. I remember the old Tecra Series back in the day and how great they were, just pricey back then. I just built a system for a buddy of mine for his kids to work from and instead of payment I scored a Toshiba Satelite X205 Laptop which I gave to Richie for school work. It's a big unit with awesome video and fantastic sound. It was practically new so I just cleaned it up, installed Windows 7 Ultimate, and it's been running perfect ever since. I am not a big fan of Sony's or HP Laptops. Those seem to be the ones I have been brought to fix most during the last few years.

+1 Toshibas are work horses. the Timex of laptops. Sony is just a name you pay for. HP used to be a great product 15 years ago but are crap now. I used to build my own PCs but with as cheap as they are these days I just buy what I want. Been buying Dell exclusively for the last 6 years to support my Texas economy. ;)

I had never heard of lenovo saw some for sale.I bought the wife a Toshiba since my son has had no problems with his and she seems to like it so far,only had it a couple days now.

Lenovo are the old IBMs. When they sold that line of business to the Chinese they changed the name. At work we use Dells and so that's what I use. They seem to work fine and we don't have a lot of issues with them.

We are a Dell shop at work but that is for desktops and laptops. Servers are all HP and we're 95% blade center and VMware now. My only gripe about Dell is that the business class laptops do not come with an AMD core option. I haven't had any trouble with my i5 core Intel but I prefer AMD overall. All our servers are AMD as they are the recommended CPU for VMware for virtualization. :tup:

FWIW, the Lenovo line is still pretty sweet! They always made the Thinkpads anyway. IBM sold the laptop business to them and are done with laptops and desktops.

Back