Asking for help with electrical issue

(Solved) Asking for help with electrical issue

Hi everyone!

I'm new to posting on this forum though I've been lurking for a little while.

I'm having a strange issue with my 2002 FZ1 (usa, non-california model), it can't switch off... When I move the ignition switch to the off position or locked position the lights stay on and if it was running it stays running, I can also start it again from there. The only way to turn it off completely is to disconnect the battery.

I thought it was a relatively easy fix, I ordered a new ignition switch, drilled out the old one, and installed the new one. But the problem persists, and when I found out that the problem hadn't gone away I disconnected the ignition switch (red connector under the tank) and the issue remains! The bike stays on even with the ignition switch completely removed.

After that I figured that I had caused some sort of short while installing the McCruise cruise control system since the always on issue showed itself for the first time right at the end of calibration of the cruise control. The install of the cruise didn't involve any cutting of wires because they provided connectors to place in between existing connectors to tap into various signals on the bike but I checked anyway. I completely removed all of the electrical connections of the cruise control and the problem remains.

I don't really know where to go from here, I'm spending some time tracing through the wiring diagram for anywhere I could have shorted past the ignition switch by accident somehow, but I haven't found anything yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Leo

Last edited:
Cool thanks!

I've narrowed the problem down to the signal circuit. When I pull that fuse the issue goes away. So I think it probably is something I did, but I still can't imagine what since I've disconnected the cruise control electronics from the bike.

I'll update this thread if I figure it out or find the issue.

When I pull the fuse on the signal circuit, the tail light stays on and everything else loses power. So that tells me that somewhere after the fuse the signal circuit is connecting to the positive battery terminal somehow... That circuit includes the turn signal relay, turn signals, front brake switch, rear brake switch, and the tail light.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Somehow the circuit is being energized. It might be as simple as a couple of exposed crimp connectors touching.

I think I figured it out!

Oldschool, your comment about it being as simple as a loose connector got me thinking that if I just plug in the battery so the tail light sticks on and then just jiggle the wiring harness around the connectors that have the wire for that circuit in them around, I'll see it flicker...

Well I came home today and the issue was gone! Which makes me scared obviously... but I jiggled the connectors under the seat around and I got the tail light to flash on for a second with the ignition off, so there's a loose/exposed connector in there. I'll find it and report back which one!

I found the problem wire!

wire_bundle.jpg

You can see the main red wire is wrapped in electrical tape and has some metal showing, this is the wire going from the positive battery terminal to the ignition switch.
Next to that is the brown wire with a rip in it, the brown wire is part of the signal circuit on the bike.
So I wrapped them in electrical tape, so far that's solved the issue!

I'm glad that's over with!

Dustin;
The insulation on wires that are exposed to heat or UV light stiffen over time and become brittle. This leads to cracking and splitting as wires are shifted or flexed and is a common issue in areas like steering head wire looms. Just shifting wires around to do maintenance can lead to splits inside multi-wire bundles when they get old.

Electrical tape has the same problem over time, as well as losing its adhesion. A better option when wrapping wires is silicone, self-sealing tape. It stays flexible for years, and can seal out moisture far better. it is more expensive and is a bit of a pain to work with since it bonds to itself almost instantly.

Link: Specialty Adhesives : Permatex® Self-fusing Silicone Tape There are many other brands, like 3M, etc.

I'm glad that the OP found the problem. It is very satisfying to find and fix a problem yourself.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion! Yeah, I just rode down to atlantic city and back (from philadelphia) and didn't have any issues turning off the bike, very satisfying feeling.

There's something weird going on with my loom under the tank anyway, I saw pics online of other bike's wire bundles under the tank and they're all routed underneath the horizontal frame spar. Mine are routed over that between the spar and the tank. I'm adding this to my list of things that will need looking at at the end of this summer...

Back