Anyone run slip-on without baffle?

troyw

Hey all, just got a Scorpion slip-on for my new 08. I'd like to know if anyone is running this pipe, or any other, without the baffle? How does it sound, and what did you have to do with a PC map to compensate?

- T.

I run my MIVV w/o the baffle. Love, LOve, LOVE! the sound and wouldn't know why anyone would want to inhibit. (unless of course you are LEO, and I'm in full compliance....:wink:

I agree.
Only now I can't figure out how to get the baffle out of the Scorpion.
I took the nice chrome end cap off. Not the riveted part, but the screw off one,
and it's not just a pull it out baffle, it would appear. Humpf...what to do...

I've got a MIVV Suono with the DB killer in it and it has plenty of bark, especially above 6000 R's. I don't think I'd be able to get through town without a confrontation with the local, county, or State boys ( we have all three within about 1/2 mile of each other and about 1 1/2 from my house) if I took it out. I will repeat for the hundredth time, loud does not equal H.P. In any event, the more you open the exhaust, generally the leaner your mixture is going to be, all other things staying the same. If you can't find a map with your set-up what are you runnng right now? If you don't have a way to measure your A/F ratio, you could start with a base map then richen it up a bit at a time a see how she runs. Without any idea of your A/F, you're pretty much runnng in the blind.

Lonerider, I definitely know louder is not more power. I haven't mentioned horsepower in this equation at all. It's a sound thing. I found a way to remove the baffle on a Roadhouse Shorty slip-on on the VTX 1800, then after a dyno run found I needed to add fuel to make up for leaning it out. Turns out I lost no power or torque by compensating, and the sound was just awesome.
That's what I'm trying to find out here. The way the Scorpion comes is nice sounding, but it just sounds a bit, well, stifled to me. But, no matter. If I can't remove the baffle on this pipe, it's fine.

I've tried a Leo Vince SLB GP EVOII. I loved the way it looked but it was pretty loud even with the silencer. Without the silencer, it sounded bad-assed deep idling, but totally annoying inside my helmet revved up and cruising. I replaced that can with a Yoshi Carbon Fiber TRC slip on. Very deep without the silencer, but it attracts too much negative attention. Sounds like I'm going fast when I'm not and really fast when I am. With the silencer on, the Yoshi makes the bike sound like it looks without being aggressively loud. To my eye, an FZ1 shouldn't sound sedate.

I run a Two Brothers without any baffle. Although i did fit a PCIII it is not essential unless you also then fit a K&N air filter. There is no map currently available for the TB on a European FZ1 so i run with a Devil open slip on stock air filter map and all seems to be ok. Plugs the right colour and running temp good

Back