anyone have issue with gas evaporating from tank out of overflow line?

I don't know if its a problem with my gauge or if fuel is actually evaporating through my overflow line. The bike lately tends to sit in my garage for a couple weeks at a time in between rides due to poor riding weather. However, it seems like when I do get back on it to ride my fuel level is way down from where it had been when I parked it, like only one bar or a flashing bar due to low fuel level. Has anyone else experienced this? I only have 80 miles on this tank and my gauge reads only one bar left. The bike is an 06 model. It might be the gauge as well...Thanks

Last edited:
Because your bike is parked at an angle, and the location of the fuel level sensor, the fuel level reads MUCH lower when you first start it. If the level returns to where you remember it being when you parked it, all is well. If it is still low after a few miles of riding, time to figure out where all your gas is going!

I don't know if its a problem with my gauge or if fuel is actually evaporating through my overflow line. The bike lately tends to sit in my garage for a couple weeks at a time in between rides due to poor riding weather. However, it seems like when I do get back on it to ride my fuel level is way down from where it had been when I parked it, like only one bar or a flashing bar due to low fuel level. Has anyone else experienced this? I only have 80 miles on this tank and my gauge reads only one bar left. The bike is an 06 model. It might be the gauge as well...Thanks

You should notice some residue or fluid on the ground if as much fuel is lost through overflow line as I understand you're saying.

The fuel gauge on the FZ1 in notoriously inaccurate-even if it's consistent in it's inaccuracy. Also, I know my gauge will read one bar-or more- less if left on the side stand vs the center stand. Of course, the low side stand reading will reset once you've ridden a short distance.

Bottom line: you either have a fuel leak-for which you'd see visible signs or a pretty inaccurate fuel gauge. The fuel gauge, you can live with, but a leak needs a remedy.

You should notice some residue or fluid on the ground if as much fuel is lost through overflow line as I understand you're saying.

The fuel gauge on the FZ1 in notoriously inaccurate-even if it's consistent in it's inaccuracy. Also, I know my gauge will read one bar-or more- less if left on the side stand vs the center stand. Of course, the low side stand reading will reset once you've ridden a short distance.

Bottom line: you either have a fuel leak-for which you'd see visible signs or a pretty inaccurate fuel gauge. The fuel gauge, you can live with, but a leak needs a remedy.

I would have to think tis is the case (that or the teenager thing Billy was talking about). It should not go down that far. A bar maybe from standing to side stand, but usually I never see what you're describing. But, as said, there should be a stain or something on the garage floor.

I agree with schleppy... Try looking at the gauge before parking it then put it on the center stand for the night, not the side stand. Check the gauge while it is on the stand then again the next time you ride. Should remain the same.

The side stand does throw it off quite a bit but within a couple miles, it should read back where you thought it should be.

If it was going anywhere else, you'd see it on the ground where you parked.

Back