Anyone Ever owned a Porsche 911?

Sactown2008

Driving to breakfast and lunch on Fathers Day (in the El Camino), the wife said, "I think your next cool car should be a used 911." I often thought a convertible would be a nice replacement, when I am tired of motorcycles, but I would also sell the El Camino(we only have a 1.5 car garage).

Maybe in a few years, when I am tired of car shows and Cruise Ins.

Just don't know which year/model Porsches are the best to own "used." Some Web sites say the 993 or 964 were the best used Porsches? A friend with too many Italian sports cars said, "Buy the poor man's Porsche, a Nissan 370Z ragtop, then do all the HP/Custom mods. Repairs can be done at ANY Nissan dealer. I have to trailer my Ferraris to San Francisco for major repairs."

Current Toys.jpg 911sc.jpgblack_nissan_370z.jpg

The 370 is more practical and less expensive to maintain. If you have a hard-on for a Porshe, why not, but I can think of many other things to spend $ on. A Porsche can be a money pit if you don't know what you're buying. However, don't listen too much because I prefer luxury cars over sport. Maybe your wife simply wants to be married to a guy who drives a 911?

I have a very good friend who is a Porsche tech... Seeing what he works on, I'd never own one... but, it keeps him rolling in the dough....

for reference, this guy who works on Porsches all day, every day, drives a Dodge 3500 and a Mercedes E500 Wagon. Mercedes diesel sedan before that...

I have some friends who run Sharkwerks in Fremont. They tune newer model 911s, turbos, GT3s and a few others. I've had the pleasure of riding in some of their tuned GT3s and Turbos and they are something special. It's definitely a special experience that a 370Z cannot even dream of achieving. While it's an ok car in its own right, there's no comparing the two.

If you want a premium sports car experience, it's pretty tough to beat a 911. The GT3 is especially fantastic. Just keep some cash on hand.

Or just do yourself a favour and forget the Porsches and get an S2000. Top down joy with a masterpiece of an engine screaming at 9000 RPM. Doesn't get much better than that.

Last edited:
In my younger days I owned a 71 911 Targa, had to sell it as it was bankrupting me.....lol To this day my wife still says that car was like a Penthouse model hooker....you know she is going to bankrupt you but you just keep driving her cause she is sooooo much fun.

Last edited:
I worked on 997 GT3's (racecars). They're nice and bullet proof but when they break... better have deep pockets! They're a bit over rated in my book. It's just a glorified Beatles to be honest. They are a bit rear end heavy too if you like to ride a bit spirit, not everyone can get use to drive a car with the throttle... If you can do most of the work yourself it's like any other sportscar. In my book, best bang for the $$$ is a Corvette. Relatively cheap to maintain and will keep going for ever!

+1 on the Vette' , but it is a different personality. The point in the video of Japanese reliability has been my #1 criteria when purchasing a vehicle since 1987. Then I think about styling and MPG a close 2 and 3.

We have been spoiled with our FZ1s and I think a 911 might be more like a Ducati or quirky BMW fantasy than the Teutonic knight's iron steed of your wife's dreams.

We looked at getting a Porsche Cayenne a few years back and I started reading up on Porsche in general. It seems they can be serious money pits. I've read stories of guys buying em and spending another chunk the same as the msrp to keep it running and not having tons of miles on them. The Cayenne had some serious coolant line issues that were a giant PITA to fix.
From what I've read they aren't worth crap from a reliability standpoint, just like Ducati, not sure where the rep came from because they end up being a disappointment...

that's my two pennies worth.

Yes. A '69, '87 Targa, '02 Carrera. Outstanding cars.

Built a killer 3.2 motor for the '87. Euro pistons, SC cams, head work, custom exhaust, custom chip. It still haunts new cars during track days.

I'm not a Corvette fan, they spin like no one's business. 911s and Boxters stick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I worked on 997 GT3's (racecars). They're nice and bullet proof but when they break... better have deep pockets! They're a bit over rated in my book. It's just a glorified Beatles to be honest. They are a bit rear end heavy too if you like to ride a bit spirit, not everyone can get use to drive a car with the throttle... If you can do most of the work yourself it's like any other sportscar. In my book, best bang for the $$$ is a Corvette. Relatively cheap to maintain and will keep going for ever!

The 2007 and newer Vettes are very impressive.

JC0492-4.jpg

We looked at getting a Porsche Cayenne a few years back and I started reading up on Porsche in general. It seems they can be serious money pits. I've read stories of guys buying em and spending another chunk the same as the msrp to keep it running and not having tons of miles on them. The Cayenne had some serious coolant line issues that were a giant PITA to fix.
From what I've read they aren't worth crap from a reliability standpoint, just like Ducati, not sure where the rep came from because they end up being a disappointment...

that's my two pennies worth.

Thank you for the heads up.

Back