Any news or rumors about a redesign for FZ1 in 2015?

I will not consider a new one until they put the Cross Plane 4 and a dual exhaust on the FZ1, with the right aftermarket exhaust that engine sounds heavenly.

RIGHT!!! I absolutely love the roar of my xplane r1. exhaust is still stock as dropping damn near a grand to do the exhaust is a lot right now, but its tempting when you hear how nice it sounds. has a great low rumble / growl, but when you get on it that exhaust roars!

next year comes the flagship update (if they want to be able to sell that in 2016 in Europe it must have abs) and then maybe they either update the fz1 or they discontinue it
It is interesting that in Australia you can not buy an FZ1 with ABS.

When the MT09 was released in the US, the unsold FZ8s were sent to Australia. The FZs aren't fast sellers in Australia and Yamaha does bugger all to promote them. The 8s sometimes have free on-roads but I haven't seen any deals on FZ1s for at least a year. For the last few years we've only had the choice of black or white. This last year for instance, the FZ1 has only been available in black. I had to get an "old stock" 2012 bike to get one in white. I really would have like a dark blue one to match my car. Oh well!

Meanwhile MT-09s still seem to be selling as fast as Yamaha can bring them in.

It is interesting that in Australia you can not buy an FZ1 with ABS.

When the MT09 was released in the US, the unsold FZ8s were sent to Australia. The FZs aren't fast sellers in Australia and Yamaha does bugger all to promote them. The 8s sometimes have free on-roads but I haven't seen any deals on FZ1s for at least a year. For the last few years we've only had the choice of black or white. This last year for instance, the FZ1 has only been available in black. I had to get an "old stock" 2012 bike to get one in white. I really would have like a dark blue one to match my car. Oh well!

Meanwhile MT-09s still seem to be selling as fast as Yamaha can bring them in.

Around my work in the city there are more FZ1s than CBR 1000 or R1, the only bike more popular would be the Triumph street triple and Daytonas (not counting scooters). Head to a cafe in the hills and it's all sport bikes (gixxers, R1, CBR, R6, Kwakas) with a scattering of FZ1, Triumph, Ducati etc.

I think you guys are right who say the 3 cylinder is the new direction they're building on. It's a wonderful engine with a lot of potential and, given the weight of the FZ-09 , you can easily see a faired or half-faired version coming along soon to fill the slot in the lineup now taken by the FZ1. Brakes and suspension a bit better, engine tune and gearing a bit more freeway-friendly, decent wind protection, better seating and wet weight under 440 lbs., and boom! -- a winner. I was in the dealer making an offer on an FZ-09 when I got my 2013 FZ1 leftover. Glad I did, but I did really appreciate the 09. Man, is it light and skinny. Why invest in a detuned R1 semi-naked bike when you have a platform now that's good enough to build a new "FZ1" up from, with a relatively minor investment?

Just left the motorcycle fair in Stockholm. Talked to a Yamaha guy, and he says that they are working on something back east, and that there has been something more than loose talk about a new bike with the crossplane engine, and that he would be surprised if it wasn't a super-naked. The time frame for this would be within one to two years

All the major factories have shown their cards for the super naked sector, yamaha would be late, but last, and have the opportunity to deliver something that's unique and bold. Suzuki has the new GSX1000 which is OK but not much more, the Honda CB1000R is small and nimble but traditional. That competes with the S1000R which is way better and has the same price. Then there is kawasaki with a bold new design and good power and rider aids at the same price

The CB1000R is getting long in the tooth as well. It's been out since 2008 and even then it wasn't particularly ground-breaking. I do really like it though :)

The CB1000R is getting long in the tooth as well. It's been out since 2008 and even then it wasn't particularly ground-breaking. I do really like it though :)

I rode the 1000R on a Honda ride day and that's what led me to buy an FZ1. I just loved that test ride and it's why I ended up buying an FZ1. I don't think you can beat the FZ1 on price per smiles...

The future lies in the new triple and not the old 20 valve inline four we now ride....it's plant is obsolete. I suspect the FZ1 will be gone at the end of the 2014 year or the next, replaced with something more modern.

I won't be buying no MT-09 tracer seems a step backwards from a fz1 maybe 2 steps may go for a R1 or gsxr1000

the problem with kawasaki is that they do not stand the test of winter which is what I ride through whereas the yamaha does.The last kawasaki bike I had 2007 z750 was bad for finish.

I won't be buying no MT-09 tracer seems a step backwards from a fz1 maybe 2 steps may go for a R1 or gsxr1000
The tracer and derivates seem to be purposed to replace the FZ 8,and satisfy the French and Spanish markets, maybe Indonesia too. In France there's a government enforced 106hp limit, on Spain people are strapped for cash, and Indonesia I guess is also one of those countries where cost matters. Then we have the huge US market where everyone wants it big, and gas is cheaper than tap water. A new FZ1 with a big, powerful engine and high bars would sell as well as the gen 2 has.

the problem with kawasaki is that they do not stand the test of winter which is what I ride through whereas the yamaha does.The last kawasaki bike I had 2007 z750 was bad for finish.
To me kawasaki quality seems on par With yamaha and Honda. Kawasaki probably makes better gearboxes than yamaha. I've never heard about quality issues with kawasaki, but I have had a klonky gearbox on my 3 Yamahas so far, and a cracked frame

To me kawasaki quality seems on par With yamaha and Honda. Kawasaki probably makes better gearboxes than yamaha. I've never heard about quality issues with kawasaki, but I have had a klonky gearbox on my 3 Yamahas so far, and a cracked frame

Really ? I saw a 5 year old bike kawasaki and suzuki and both were rusting whereas my 2007 fz1 was mint compared to them.Even the dealer wanted to snap my bike up because it was clean compared to the other two and mine had been ridden through winters too.

The tracer and derivates seem to be purposed to replace the FZ 8,and satisfy the French and Spanish markets, maybe Indonesia too. In France there's a government enforced 106hp limit, on Spain people are strapped for cash, and Indonesia I guess is also one of those countries where cost matters. Then we have the huge US market where everyone wants it big, and gas is cheaper than tap water. A new FZ1 with a big, powerful engine and high bars would sell as well as the gen 2 has.

bleeding french I couldn't live there........with that limit.

Back