Any new pics/reviews of saddle & tail bags

Kevin Daly

Starting to get serious about outfitting the FZ1 for a transcontinental. The hard bags on my FJR were nice on rainy days but they are too spendy to put on the FZ1 so I am looking for alternatives. I am particularly concerned about water proof!

and please :needpics:

Here is the Cortech Sport Tri-bag system. They aren't the largest but hold a fair amount. As for waterproof, they come with covers that you slip over and shock-cord them shut around each one individually. However, the covers have not held up well. I'd recommend treating all the bags a few times before a trip with tent spray to give them a sealant coating. (These are pictured on my old FZ6 bit fit about the same on the FZ1.)

attachment.php

And here is the same sport saddles with a large waterproof bag set we found in the camping section at Wal-Mart.

887d1253298012-our-michigan-trip-pics-mi3.jpg

Thanks man. I saw those pics on another thread and I have to say, among the soft bag solutions Cortec's are at the top of my list. Since I tend to sleep in ceap motels and eat :spam1: (just kidding about the spam) I dont need to pack as much as you guys did so I am thinking about the three cortec bags but I am curious if there is anything else out there b4 I buy them.

Have not heard a lot of really good reviews of the Nelson Rig stuff. Cortech and Tourmaster are the same company. I own almost all FirstGear riding gear but I've never tried their luggage. Hope that helps!

I actually have one of the axio tail bags.... too small overall but great for day rides.

You know the other thing I was thinking about was mounting a large (55L) givi on (above) the rear seat. I was thinking about having a mount machined that used the keyed quick release for the seat and I could mount the givi mount to that. but I am not sure how that would look. I do like to have the weight forward. One thing I didnt like about the FJR was that when the bags were full and the trunk was on, the frontend was light so I aim to keep my bags at least over the rear axle.

Yeah the oldschool method is precisely what I was thinking about. just havent seen any used seats from which I can extract the pan! Dont suppose you got a link for that? :) this is what I am thinking about mounting, I imaging I can even put some contact points on for lights:
0.0.1.r%23e55n.jpg

I think with a bag this size (55 liter/14.5gal) I wont need panniers. of course it might look funny

Last edited:
It's a great plan to do and like you, I wanted the trunk on the bike and not behind it. As for the seat, I put up a WTB ad here and a member sold me his spare. :D

lights

Yeah the oldschool method is precisely what I was thinking about. just havent seen any used seats from which I can extract the pan! Dont suppose you got a link for that? :) this is what I am thinking about mounting, I imaging I can even put some contact points on for lights:
0.0.1.r%23e55n.jpg

I think with a bag this size (55 liter/14.5gal) I wont need panniers. of course it might look funny

This company makes a light kit for just about every hard case. I have them in my V-35's and they work great!

AdMore Lighting - About Us :shine:

Yes I know; definately a point of sale. of course it is difficult to assess the interface between the mount and the box unless you got one in front of you but I would hope they set it up to interface on their universal mounting plate. and Their website just bugs the hell out of me (no pricing, none of the color charts apply to their images and the lack of connection between a given piece of luggage and the mounting systems that go with it).

I personally like the Ventura system. I run the Sport pack all of the time but can easily swap out to the one of the larger bags if I ever want to. I would of course have to buy the larger bag first. The system consists of side rails, a rack that mounts to the side rails and and bag that attaches to the rack. They have two racks, short and tall, that are interchangable on one set of side rails. They then have multiple bags, one small bag (the Sport Bag) for the short rack and numerous big bags for the tall rack. Probably not big enough for a transcontinental trip so I am probably typing just for exercise. The sport pack is not waterproof and I cannot say on the larger bags. (Some of them may be waterproof and my small bag may have been when it was new several years ago.) I can say that I consider it a quality product and my FZ is the second bike I have had their system on. The sport bag is perfect for day trips or my lunch when I am commuting. It is also fairly easy to switch from over the rear seat when riding solo to over the rear fender when riding two-up. Here is a link, check out what they have if you are interested.

Bike Pack System, motorcycle luggage, hard soft motorcycle luggage, racks, touring luggage | Ventura

Roy

Field Sheer Expandable Bags

I bought these Fieldsheer Saddle bags in '08'. They've been great!
I rode to California from B.C. and did a lot of camping along the way. The bags held up well. They have a cover for rainy days. I've been caught in the rain a couple of times, and my gear stayed dry. Mind you, I didn put the majority of my things in plastic bags for extra protection. But the insides of the saddle bags were still good.
The tail back is actually a Cortech bag. I changed the Clips on the straps that attach to the saddle bags, as they were not a perfect match. They are now...

I can't remember where I bought them, some company on line. The price for all of the bags, including the tank bag wasn't quite 300 bucks. The tank bag is really nice too. Very sturdy. i wanted an expandable one, but I'm glad I didn't get it now. My 5'3 frame is too short for a taller bag. :)

Anyways, Being that I'm a girl, (and I know not all girls are the same), I travel with more stuff than I need...(just in case I need a pair of high heels and a dress at the next stop...) the saddlebags and tail bag had plenty of room. I even had room to stuff in the odd 6 pack and some salad stuff on my way to a camp site! They handled the weight very well, too.

I hope you find what you're looking for! Happy trails!

View attachment 2330

View attachment 2331

Thanks all for the ideas! I finally pulled the trigger:

h_rm_black.jpg

and one of:
h_rl_black.jpg

I think I should be ready for action!!

I figured if I am going to to textile I might as well get a set and this was pretty cheap (I think 225 retail at kneedraggers.com).
I liked the ventura system but it is almost the price of Givi, so I figured I will try textile and if I dont like it at least I tried. Not sure how far I will go this summer but it looks like I will get tenure this year so I might for a while :)

Last edited:
Those look really good

h_rm_black.jpg

and one of:
h_rl_black.jpg

They look great. You might want to think about a set of GIVI "soft saddlebag protectors" If you look at this early picture of my bike they are the black rods under the tail. They keep the bags from sagging in toward the rear wheel and you can tie them to them to keep the bags from moving around. I still have them if you want them. Very easy to install.

Nordegg.jpg

They look great. You might want to think about a set of GIVI "soft saddlebag protectors" If you look at this early picture of my bike they are the black rods under the tail. They keep the bags from sagging in toward the rear wheel and you can tie them to them to keep the bags from moving around. I still have them if you want them. Very easy to install.

Nordegg.jpg

Thanks for the offer man! I will take these for a test run (or 10) when they arrive and contact you if that is necessary. I tend to ride pretty hard locally but slow it down for the tours but I also want to be certian that I am "well prepaired" if ya know what I mean :sinister::cheers:

h_rm_black.jpg

and one of:
h_rl_black.jpg

I figured if I am going to to textile I might as well get a set and this was pretty cheap (I think 225 retail at kneedraggers.com).
I liked the ventura system but it is almost the price of Givi, so I figured I will try textile and if I dont like it at least I tried. Not sure how far I will go this summer but it looks like I will get tenure this year so I might for a while :)

I use that same duffel bag. Love it. let me know how you like the matching saddle bags.

I use that same duffel bag. Love it. let me know how you like the matching saddle bags.

So it took me a while to figure it out but there are actually tw different species of this duffle bag in the 2010 lineup; one is under the "tourmaster" line and one is in the "cortech" line. If you have the cortech version it should zip to the harness for the cortech saddle bags which I consider a good thing!

The bad news is that the duffle is backordered so I will have to wait to give you any feedback. but in terms of total storage is should be comparible to the FJR bags and trunk, which was overkill for a guy like me to make it across the US. Just gimmie a fresh pair of undies and a tooth brush and a pair of jeans for the evenings and I am happy in my leathers all day :)

But I am a simple man :icon_beer:

Soft saddlebag Protectors

:tup:
Old School, thanks for hooking me up with a set of Saddlebag protectors. Nice to know there are real nice people out there that will help a buddy out. Next time I upgrade my motorcycle and have extra parts I'll try to be as generous to the next guy coming up thru the ranks with parts and advice. Kudos to you Old School!!!

:worship:

Back