Another stupid question

Where's the best/cheapest place to get a shop manual for my 2002 FZ1 ? Is the manual on cd that's on Ebay worth the $15.00? Is it all I'll need?
My chain is brand new, but I think it's WAY too sloppy/loose.
Thanks

Unsure about the ebay manuals... likely a ripped copy of the real thing and fully intact but I'd question the legality of it. ;)

As for the chain, with the bike on the center stand, what is the measurement of the chain at about 6 visible links back from the front? Measure from the floor to the chain while pulling down on that link and note the measurement. Then pull that link up and maesure again. Let us know what that is. Should be no less than 1 3/4" and no more than 2 1/4"

Unsure about the ebay manuals... likely a ripped copy of the real thing and fully intact but I'd question the legality of it. ;)

As for the chain, with the bike on the center stand, what is the measurement of the chain at about 6 visible links back from the front? Measure from the floor to the chain while pulling down on that link and note the measurement. Then pull that link up and maesure again. Let us know what that is. Should be no less than 1 3/4\" and no more than 2 1/4\"

I'm curious as to whether you use the outer most edge of the chain to do the measurement or from the center of the link horizontally if you understand what I am saying?

Note : Chain should be measured / Adjusted when warm / hot.

As the chain heats up, the area around the rollers expands, causing the chain to shrink... so... hot chain is shorter than cold chain...

and... it's always better to be a little bit loose... too tight, and you'll wear out sprockets much faster.

and Billy... it doesn't matter where you measure the chain... as long as you measure to the same spot when the chain is slack, and with upward pressure on the chain... you can measure to bottom, top, pins, whatever tickles your fancy

Note : Chain should be measured / Adjusted when warm / hot.

As the chain heats up, the area around the rollers expands, causing the chain to shrink... so... hot chain is shorter than cold chain...

and... it's always better to be a little bit loose... too tight, and you'll wear out sprockets much faster.

and Billy... it doesn't matter where you measure the chain... as long as you measure to the same spot when the chain is slack, and with upward pressure on the chain... you can measure to bottom, top, pins, whatever tickles your fancy

Thanks Aaron! Then I've been doing it right all this time. I measure from the bottom of the link. All this talk about chains reminds me that I need to do a good cleaning and also check my sprockets, front and back. Thanks for the info.

I would stay away from the manual on CD. Best to have the real book that way you can mark areas that you will need to referance more frequently and take it out to your bike with you as needed with not having to worry about the battery of a laptop. Plus if a book gets dirty no big deal. You can still find good deals on the books through ebay.

Thanks inNH. I just went out to check it and the chain goes up against the swing arm for a long way, so it's really loose. The top of the chain is laying on the swing arm too. I'll adjust it some and then check it hot.

If anyone knows of anyome with a Gen I shop manual, let me know.
Thanks'

Per page 3-25 of the service manual (purchased from my Yamaha dealer), with the rear wheel elevated, spin the wheel to find the chain,s tightest spot and adjust untill you have between .98 and 1.38" os slack. If your chain has as much slack as you say, it hasn't been maintained properly. More than likely it hasn't had much lubrication. Get some good chain lube, you'll see some choices on here. Check the slack at least once a week is you ride much and keep it cleaned as often as you lube it and it will last a long time. At the rate you are going right now, you'll be in the mode for a new chain and sprockets in short order.

Just got the bike Sunday. The chain and both sprockets are 1 month old. Guy I got it from didn't know how tight to make it. I'll get a manual and get it done right.

I would stay away from the manual on CD. Best to have the real book that way you can mark areas that you will need to referance more frequently and take it out to your bike with you as needed with not having to worry about the battery of a laptop. Plus if a book gets dirty no big deal. You can still find good deals on the books through ebay.

Ummm. If you get the manual on CD, you can just print whatever pages you want to keep for frequent reference. // Edited // We do not condone buying / downloading illegal copies of the service manual. THERE IS NO LEGAL PDF OF THE SERVICE MANUAL.

Ummm. If you get the manual on CD, you can just print whatever pages you want to keep for frequent reference. // Edited // We do not condone buying / downloading illegal copies of the service manual. THERE IS NO LEGAL PDF OF THE SERVICE MANUAL.

Well yeah if you have a printer that would work. However if your awesome like me you do not have one so he would be running back and forth house to garage.

Well yeah if you have a printer that would work. However if your awesome like me you do not have one so he would be running back and forth house to garage.

I bought the clymer manual about a month after i got the bike.

An option for those who have scanned their legal copy of the service manual to pdf, you can put a copy on your windows mobile phone (or one that has a pdf reader). That way you can carry it with you all the time. I have an old pda and would do that if I had scanned a copy of the service manual for my own personal use.

It is my understanding that if you own the book and scan it for personal use it is within the law.

It is not illegal to acquire a scanned copy of the manual. It is only illegal if you are selling the file without permission of the owner, or claiming the information as your own when it is in fact copyrighted material.

To say it is illegal is like saying it is illegal to lend the book you payed for to five of your friends.

Back