Another R1 fork upgrade.

still_bluenoser

Thought I'd post on how to swap out the front end of a bike. I know it's already been done quite recently on here, But I may run into something different... Also gona post up some paint pics among other things.

DSC00237.jpg

Here are the replacement parts. The loose forks are from a 99, they are a few mm's longer than the other 2002 parts.

I picked all this up for $300 here in Virginia while I'm working here, which is a steal compared to back home in Canada...

IMG-20120229-00027.jpg

IMG-20120229-00028.jpg

Looking forward to your R1 fork upgrade pics. Like Ballmead said that's a good deal for the complete front end. Have fun with the project...

Thanks, I'm really excited to get home and get at it. I now have to figure out how to get it all home, I drove from Nova Scotia to here in Virginia for work, and was expecting to drive back home, but now I'm flying... Shipping is ridiculous cross border...

Either way, good deal, Now have to decide which forks I want to use, and get to work rebuilding them.

I feel bad for any Canadian who doesn't live a stone's throw from the border--I can't imagine paying local retail for parts. $$$$$

Great find! Hey... on your way back, feel free to stop in Portsmouth, NH, since it's on your route, and drop off the set of forks you don't need, ok? ;)

Congrats! Subscribed for the build!

What upper triple clamp?

Hello, I am new to this Forum. I have a 2002 FZ1 and want to up grade forks to R1. I was wondering if you are going to use a GenII upper clamp instead of the R1 upper clamp to accommodate the risers and bars?

Gen 2 tree can be used along with lower, but you'll have to use the Gen 1 stem to hold it all together.

Another obstacle to overcome is the shorter leg length. Devilsyam's is the guru to the conversion and maybe even have some pieces available to help you along. If not, at least guide in the right direction.

Sent from: GS4

Back