Another quick question before buying

mileage is fair, but then again it costs 140 to fill the tak on my truck with regular, and under 20 with premium on the bike.

the bike is by far much more enjoyable.

if you do tour, look at an aftermarket seat though...i can go 3 hours or so on the stock one, but after that tie a pillow to your ass.

the windscreen is also not quite tall enough for upright riding at speeds over mach 6, you need to do the duck and cover thing.

simply put, there are better touring bikes out there, but it would be a cold day in hell before i give up the fz1....recentrly separated with the wife, wasnt allowed to have a bike, i chose the effe zed cause it goes like styink, without wreckin your wrists or back in the process.

dont usually let the feul meter go beyond the second icon , but have done 250 clicks on it without stoppin thats km's not miles.

seems like a small tank for a tour bike.

if you are looking to have fun, as well as tour, this bike is light manuverable, and a blast to be on.

Last edited:
Touring Range

Over a period of nearly 4000 km. in very hot weather, loaded with very full saddlebags, a tent, sleeping bag and air mattress, and my 190lbs in full leathers. I was getting 285 km per tank. Unless you live in a place like Mongolia I don't think you will have any problems with fuel range. I think it's a great SPORT Touring bike !:tup:

Dont know how to work out MPG but first run out on bike never went above 4500 rpm got 150 miles then fuel trip came on.

Lately now i am opening it up a bit its about 130 miles which is about the same as my fireblade was

Unless you are crazy with the throttle, your gas tank will outlast your rear end. I did a 6000 + mile trip earlier this summer and It was a relief to stop and get gas after the first 100-150 miles. I made it a habit to stop about every 100 miles or a little less. There are places I go where staions may be 150 or more miles apart so you don't pass up a station. As already said, you will need a taller and wider wndscreen for high speed continuous work and a better seat is in order. I bought a Yamaha gel but it's not much better than the stocker.

Coversion from Miles to KM and back

Dont know how to work out MPG but first run out on bike never went above 4500 rpm got 150 miles then fuel trip came on.

Lately now i am opening it up a bit its about 130 miles which is about the same as my fireblade was

Here are the conversions from KM to Mi and back the other way.

KM to Miles: 1KM=0.621 Mi (Multiply KM by 0.62 to get Mi)
Miles to KM: 1 Mi=1.609 KM (Multiply Mi by 1.609 to get KM)

I just re-read Gunnys comment and realized that these conversions have nothing to do with his post. I will leave them up in case somebody needs them. Too many afternoon beers......

Last edited:
Touring, I get 150 miles to a tank... Nothing more than the cheap gas as anything other than 87 gets you zero gains. Yamaha says run 87 so I comply. :D Best I've gotten is 39 mpg

I'm pretty much locked in at 38 mpg. The FZ6 was much better in that regard. It had a 5.1 gallon tank and regularly gave me 50 mpg. But, as said above, I find it hard to stay on the bike for more than a couple of hours at a time anyway. The FZ1 is much less buzzier than the FZ6 though and the fatigue on my body seems to be much less than the FZ6 after a long day. All in all I like the FZ1 as a tourer.

I get about 240 km from a tank but I agree with others the seat or your butt will give out long before your gas. I bought the Yamaha gel seat it gets about an extra twenty rminutes before your butt goes numb. A throttle rocker helps for long distances, great bang for your buck.

The buzz about octane

Maybe that buzzing in the butt is caused by natural resonances and reverberations attributed to a half empty tank?
God's (and Japan's) way of telling us to take a petrol break.
Sorry, thinking too much.
A more important thought re octane rating:
The owner's manual tells of two different ways to measure octane. Then recommends the Euro rating. Not the one we see at the pumps.
Take a close look and be careful.

My wife and I are leaving tomorrow for a week and will cover 1500+ miles on our bikes. I intend to keep a running tally of gallons vs. miles and see how I fair on a touring trip. We're avoiding the slab as much as possible and sticking to state highways. Report to follow on our return. I'm hoping for the 40 mark!

My wife and I are leaving tomorrow for a week and will cover 1500+ miles on our bikes. I intend to keep a running tally of gallons vs. miles and see how I fair on a touring trip. We're avoiding the slab as much as possible and sticking to state highways. Report to follow on our return. I'm hoping for the 40 mark!

Enjoy! Have save miles!
Will you log the R as well please :embarrased:

Back