Another one bites the dust...

Junior73

The past two weeks here in KC, there has been at least one fatality per day in motorcycle related accidents. The two most notable were two guys on sports bikes and an elderly couple riding two up. I hope all are riding safe with gear!! I know the sport is dangerous but man too many deaths. All the rest were single riders (80% Harley riders).

The two guys on sports bikes got cut off by a car both died (Just down the street from where I work). The older couple (60's) riding two up also got cut off, one died at the scene, and the other is in critical condition. :frown:

I just get a little tired of hearing of people die, but every time I go riding no one is wherein gear, mostly do rags, and shorts. When it gets cold its do rags and a non protective coat. Stupid people.

I am off my soap box now...

It sounds like you have all of the bad elements working. I get passed by cruisers without gear all the time. When you are in traffic, slow down and pay attention. Ride safe.

Dave

It's the same story around here as far as gear goes. I would say only 10% of sportbike/standard riders around here are ATGATT, and maybe 2% of cruiser riders wear full gear. The vast majority of riders wear shorts and a t-shirt with tennis shoes or sandals and a skullcap helmet. If we didn't have a helmet law in Alabama I'm sure most of these guys wouldn't wear a helmet either. Sadly for these people, the same mentality that leads to them not wearing gear also leads to a greatly increased chance of having an accident to begin with.
While I'm all about absolute freedom, I still can't understand what is going through their head... Do they think they have superhuman skin and bones that will not be damaged in the event of an accident? Do they not care? Are they arrogant enough to think it'll never happen to them because they are so "skilled"? Do they just not even think about it?
I hate being hot, and believe me it is extremely hot and humid for 90% of the year around here, but I would hate skin graphs and broken bones even more so it is ATGATT for me!

:ditto:

Well said. One of the reasons I end up not riding as much as I could is because I always insist on ATGATT. And frankly a short ride is more trouble than it's worth so I just take the "cage" instead.

:ditto:

Well said. One of the reasons I end up not riding as much as I could is because I always insist on ATGATT. And frankly a short ride is more trouble than it's worth so I just take the "cage" instead.

I know what you mean, if the trip won't take at least half an hour I generally end up taking the cage. This is particularly true in really hot weather because I have to factor in the time and hassle of gearing up AND packing a change of clothes for when I arrive at my destination. 90% of my riding is recreational, so I try to plan rides that will take at least a couple of hours on scenic routes with as little traffic as possible. For the daily grind in dangerous rush-hour traffic on the interstate I usually take the cage, it just saps most of the fun out of the ride when I spend the whole time dodging cages and standing in traffic sweating.

I get cut off on every other ride on the bike. It is non-stop. But, because I expect EVERYONE to cut me off, I do all I can to not be in a position that leaves me without an escape route. If you watch a driver close enough with fleeting glances, you can easily tell their intentions. If you have not had any eye contact with that driver with their mirrors, you must ride like you are totally invisible. Even if you think they saw you, err on the side of caution.

Last, this time of year, people don't expect to see bikes out in colder weather. We also have to be quite aware of leaves and pine needles in the roads, especially wet ones. Don't go blasting through roads until you check them out first, then turn around and have some fun when you know it's clear.

Sometimes, these things cannot be avoided and accidents will happen. You can only hope that you've taken every precaution and are doing your best to scan all ahead of you CONSTANTLY to spot trouble.

Ride safe all and take care. Please don't have us all reading about you in the news, ok?

Constantly scanning your surroundings and anticipating their next mindless move is definitely a must in surviving on a motorcycle. While we don't have to worry about snow on the roads around here, deer are a big hazard in the colder months. I saw no less than 10 deer in the space of a couple of miles last night!

I was driving in the car a couple weeks ago on the freeway and was passed by 5 guys on Harleys. None of them were wearing helmets, just the do-rag or nothing at all. The last guy to pass me was on an Electra Glide, and believe it or not he was messing around with his cell phone in his left hand. So he's passing cars on the freeway, checking his cell phone, driving with one hand. AMAZINGLY STUPID. :shame:

I have not taken my car out of the garage, with one exception (to go pick up new rear tire for the KLR) in the last 5 months. With two bikes to ride, and two separate sets of full safety gear (each bike specific) I ride no matter where I am going, or for what reason. I gear up fully for every ride. I used to get lazy about wearing the pants (using jeans to go to work) but with the ever increasing volume of traffic and the seasonal darkness (and cold) of the morning commute, I am always fully geared up. Full gear does not guarantee your safety by any stretch of the imagination, but it is about minimizing the risk, and damage should you have an accident. Defensive driving is just as important, and the combination of that and gear reduces the risk as much as possible. By riding without gear you guarantee that should the unthinkable happen, you WILL be hurt, or worse. By riding a bike we are all gamblers, by wearing proper gear we just hedge our bets.

I have not taken my car out of the garage, with one exception (to go pick up new rear tire for the KLR) in the last 5 months. With two bikes to ride, and two separate sets of full safety gear (each bike specific) I ride no matter where I am going, or for what reason. I gear up fully for every ride. I used to get lazy about wearing the pants (using jeans to go to work) but with the ever increasing volume of traffic and the seasonal darkness (and cold) of the morning commute, I am always fully geared up. Full gear does not guarantee your safety by any stretch of the imagination, but it is about minimizing the risk, and damage should you have an accident. Defensive driving is just as important, and the combination of that and gear reduces the risk as much as possible. By riding without gear you guarantee that should the unthinkable happen, you WILL be hurt, or worse. By riding a bike we are all gamblers, by wearing proper gear we just hedge our bets.

Almost the same here, only difference I ride my cage to PT (army folks) every morning since its a PITA to have two separate set of clothes. Cant ride with tennis shoes. shorts or short sleeves. When it's time to go to work at 0900 it's bike time. With 2 bikes in the stable, it's one a week or at least that's the plan although the cruiser only ends up getting 2-3 days per week. Do you blame me? The FZ is more fun.

Yea but on the orig topic, I didn't even want to post but I was returning from Panama City beach last weekend and saw one of us covered up in the streets and all the cops etc. The following day I googled it, found out he ran into the back of a Ford Expedition at a red light, died on the scene. The details of the story was sad which I dont feel like posting, but you can google it. Happened somewhere on the border FL/AL

Last edited:
I drive much more (job, kids, etc) and find many dangerous drivers I've had to avoid, but strangely, never been 'cut-off' on my bike. By 'cut-off' I'm guessing someone has moved into your lane while you're there, or is it cutting off while you're approaching an ex-open position on the road?

I ride plenty aggressive now and then, but I try to stay really cognizant of whether or not somebody might do something stupid in traffic and I'm always uncomfortable when I don't know what someone is going to do.

These people getting cut off.. were they 'run off the road' cut-off?

I find that riding takes 100% concentration - driving takes 50, except for in traffic, on surface streets, the more congested, the more stupid people get.

I don't mean to be crass, but so many deaths are for very stupid rider decisions or mistakes - I hope I don't join them.

I'm an ATGATT rider - who's with me?

I drive much more (job, kids, etc) and find many dangerous drivers I've had to avoid, but strangely, never been 'cut-off' on my bike. By 'cut-off' I'm guessing someone has moved into your lane while you're there, or is it cutting off while you're approaching an ex-open position on the road?

I ride plenty aggressive now and then, but I try to stay really cognizant of whether or not somebody might do something stupid in traffic and I'm always uncomfortable when I don't know what someone is going to do.

I find that riding takes 100% concentration - driving takes 50, except for in traffic, on surface streets, the more congested, the more stupid people get.

I don't mean to be crass, but so many deaths are for very stupid rider decisions or mistakes - I hope I don't join them.

What rock did you crawl out from under? :) When are we riding / playing poker?

P.S. Lots of RIPs here at the beginning and middle of the season here in Houston. Seems to have tapered off.

I hate to say it and sound insensitive, but I would wager that 95% of all bike fatalities are the rider's fault! Often, had they ANTICIPATED that a car would run a red light, or take that left turn in front of them, or change lanes carelessly, or pull out into traffic, millions of dead riders would be alive today.

At the end of the day, you got to wear protection attire, and be freakin hyper aware of your surroundings, the left side, right side, and ANTICIPATE as you cover the miles.

Just because some caged a-hole pulls a bone-head move does not mean you have to die from it!!!

Be safe, be alert, and ANTICIPATE, for God's sake ;-)

I had a friend die in front of me last year... one of the worst things I've ever dealt with.

As for ATGATT.... I have a story of my own about it. One very hot summer day I took off for a ride, and no sooner did I leave (jeans/t-shirt/helmet only at this point), I decided to turn around to get the mesh jacket. Left again, but without gloves. Again, turned around and then put the gloves on. left again. Once I was up on the freeway, things turned ugly and a huge piece of wood fell out of some rednecks truck (typical... who cares if it's secured properly?) and BAM!!! I hit it at 75 mph. Went up, back down, then fell and slid for a good long distance. I was fairly rashed up, but able to get up and walk, with no need for the emergency room. Without the gear I almost neglected to put on, forget it.... I would have been a bloody mess.

Proper gear.... it's your friend :innocent0002:

A lesson in riding with the correct gear

We were out riding here last weekend. 4 of us on 3 bikes.

My girlfriend hit some wet leaves at around 100km/h on a bend and lost the front end of the bike. The bike just went out from underneath her in a millisecond. The bike is a wreck!!

She came off the bike head first. The top of the Arai took the initial impact then the front and chin guard of the full face helmet.

She was sliding along the road face down with her leather jacket and kevlar lined jeans soaking up the abrasions. The momentum then flicked her onto her left slide until she finally came to a stop in the middle of the road. The jacket is shredded, the helmet a write off, the denim outer on the jeans gone but the internal kevlar remained intact. The leather gloves (of no further use) protected her hands and the boots protected her feet and ankles.

She has very bad brusing all over her arms, ribs, legs and buttocks!! She has a very bad road rash wound on the top off her hip where the jacket rode up a little from the top of the kevlar jeans. It looks like the flesh melted with the friction against the road. She has severe whiplash and concussion.

She has a broken finger but no other broken bones.

Without doubt the gear saved her life, especially the full faced helmet!! The rest of the gear saved her years of agonising skin grafts.

She was blessed that she was able to get up and walk away from this. I watched this happen in front of me as I was following her some 30 metres or so behind. I thought she was dead...........

I hope none of you ever have to witness something like this happen to any of your loved ones.

Wear the right gear all of the time.

Safe riding.

Greg

Older couple were on the highway doing about 70mph and a driver merged on the highway doing about 30mph in front of them.:shame:

The two guys were in a business area, speed limit is 45mph, car came across 2 lanes of traffic to merge heading east, and cut the Mc guys off. :shame:

It just gets crazy around here during rush hour. I work some odd hours so I stay away from it, and mostly take the open back streets.

Back