Am I burning too much oil???

speedjunkie

I own a 2002 with 50,000 miles or 80,000 kms and notice I burn some oil between oil changes. During a ride I had to stop to tip off the oil after 1,400 miles. I probably put in less then a 1/4 liter. Mind you this was all highway and I believe I burn at a quicker rate while in the city. I know I have some serious mileage so I'm not surprised it burns. I picked up the bike with 68000 kms is spring and it's been super reliable. Thinking of getting Ivan's jet kit installed over the winter. Don't know if that might help the running "rich"...other then that I'm going to get a bud do a leak down test to see what's up. Has anybody had similar experiences??
Cheers :)

If there is no leak anywhere and you are really burning oil then you need new rings for the pistons. Anyhow as long as you do not need excessive oil and the bike runs smooth you do not have to worry to much.

I have a 02 also, with 13,000 miles, and I burn a bit of oil after about 2000 pretty hard miles.
Just enough to let the oil light come on....under acceleration.
I usually fill to top mark........

I used to use castrol 4t 20-50 and it was fine....I switched to rotela t since I also use it in my Vmax.....and started to burn a bit.....so does my max.
Happy with the oil though so never changed.

Just to be fair to rotela though......I only change my oil twice a year, Christmas break and just before the summer which is usually after a week....1500 miles or so of riding up in the parkway/ gap area...on the fz
I do about 3k per year on the fz and 4k on the max.
On my week end rides I
Usually cruise at about 90/95 for about 130 miles, of the 180 we do opening it up every now and then when my butt starts falling asleep:cheerleader:
So I assume my oil loss is through the engine breather/ evacuation system since I'm usually finding oil misting in the filter areas.
When I ran 15/47 gearing, I used to be cruising closed to 7 k.
I cruise at about 6k on the max...which is about when boost opens.

I am at 21k on my 02, burns zero oil, and it is ridden very hard. Currently running rotella t6 5-40. I can't believe at 13k yours is burning some @85vmax

I'm using Motul 5100 10w40. Its a synthetic blend (not 100% Synth). I really don't see the type of oil you use being a factor to how much oil you burn. Unless I'm wrong, one oil burns like any other. Its more a factor of wear and tear. Which is equal to mileage/maintenance and overall beating it to death that increases your oil consumption. After 50,000 miles I'm concerned the top end will need service down the road because of the oil consumption, but I also realize its not a "do it now repair". As I said earlier I might have burned 4-6 ounces in 1400 mile trip which is a lot less the my 900 Ninja did before I dumped it.

Back