Am I adjusting my chain correctly?

oldschoolsdime92

It's been quite a few years since I've had a bike that has a regular swing arm. Am I checking my chain tension correctly?

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0089.jpg

I just use a steel rule and measure using one of the the rivets as the datum point.
I generally look for around 25-35mm of chain tension.

It looks like you are pulling down on the chain in the first pic? There is no need to do this, just push it up and take the measurement.
There are loose and tight spots on the chain so I check to see if I am in spec on both the tight and loose part of the chain.

Last edited:
+1 on what Ballmead says. No need to pull down. I always sit and turn the wheel about 6" and then push up, then turn another 6" and push up. Keep doing that to find the "tightest" section of chain. That's the section that you will do your adjusting from. From that section, make your adjustment and you'll be just fine. If you adjust your chain from the loosest section, you'll be too tight in the tightest section.:)

When I had my shock off to change springs, I used the failsafe method: lifted the tire until the CS, swingarm pivot, and rear axle were in line then gave it about 3/4" of slack there. That is the tightest point. Then I measured what I had with the bike back together on the center stand.

Cheers,

MrHix

It looks like you are pulling down on the chain in the first pic? There is no need to do this, just push it up and take the measurement.

Is this an FZ1-specific thing? I have had several bikes where the manuals specifically stated to pull the chain to find the proper slack

Is this an FZ1-specific thing? I have had several bikes where the manuals specifically stated to pull the chain to find the proper slack

It's just the way I was shown and have always done it.
The FZ1 manual doesn't say whether to pull it down or not, it just says to find the tightest spot on the chain and adjust slack to 25-35mm.

Back