Alpinestars S-MX 2 boots

up_on1

Does anyone here have the Alpinestars S-MX 2 Waterproof boots? I'm thinking about getting a pair very soon.
224408_large.jpg

Looks like they have been out a while.

I have the s-mx2 boots and I really like them. They are very comfortable and I can wear them practially all day. I have had them for a year and half.

I'm torn between the SMX-2 (vented) and SMX-5 boots. I think I'm going to go with the SMX-2 vented. If I'm really honest with myself, I'll be far more likely to put on the SMX-2's every time I ride than the SMX-5 boots. I know I'm giving up protection, but if I don't think I'll take the time to put them on, they won't protect me at all.

Alpinestars_S-MX_2_Vented_Boots_Whi.jpg
Alpinestars_S-MX_5_Vented_Boot_Black_detail.jpg

It doesn't take any longer to put on the more protective boots. Put foot in, zip up and clasp velcro. 10 seconds for both boots, max. I can go from t-shirt & jeans to dressed in my two-piece leathers, full boots, gloves, ear plugs & helmet in less than two minutes; it just takes practice! Once you're good at it (like anything in life), it becomes a non-issue.

Personally, I don't see any value for money in a pair of riding shoes like those S-MX2s; seems like a lot of cash to pay for something that lacks a lot of the function of a full boot

Last edited:
I'm torn between the SMX-2 (vented) and SMX-5 boots. I think I'm going to go with the SMX-2 vented. If I'm really honest with myself, I'll be far more likely to put on the SMX-2's every time I ride than the SMX-5 boots. I know I'm giving up protection, but if I don't think I'll take the time to put them on, they won't protect me at all.

Alpinestars_S-MX_2_Vented_Boots_Whi.jpg
Alpinestars_S-MX_5_Vented_Boot_Black_detail.jpg

It doesn't take any longer to put on the more protective boots. Put foot in, zip up and clasp velcro. 10 seconds for both boots, max. I can go from t-shirt & jeans to dressed in my two-piece leathers, full boots, gloves, ear plugs & helmet in less than two minutes; it just takes practice! Once you're good at it (like anything in life), it becomes a non-issue.

Personally, I don't see any value for money in a pair of riding shoes like those S-MX2s; seems like a lot of cash to pay for something that lacks a lot of the function of a full boot

Very opposite views, but both good points. Me, personally I much prefer the protection offered by the full boot. I also prefer the Sidi design over the A* because of one feature, the achillies protection system that they have. That is also why given the above 2 choices I would go for the full boot.
I actually enjoy the ritual of gearing up for a ride, the time taken allows me to mentally prepare for the ride, and I liken it to a pilot preparing for a combat mission. If you ever actually have to use the gear for what it was designed for you will thank yourself for taking the time to put the equipment on.

I guess you have to decide wether it will be comfort over protection. Even the S-MX2's would be better than sneakers though, and admittedly I have rarely had to deal with the kind of temperatures that you southern riders have to. If I had worn those today on the way to work I would have had severe frost bite on my ankles.:(

Do you have one of those batcave dressing systems?

I picked up my new S-MX 5 Waterproof boots today from Competition Accessories. There comfortable. I'm glad I bought them. I can hardly wait to ride in the rain to see how nice they work. :)

Back