All done, the R1 is ready to go.

New rubber, brakes, sliders, bar weights.

IMG-20120505-00189.jpg

IMG-20120505-00190.jpg

Mines in the shop getting the Ak 20's and penske installed! Already did frame sliders, stainless brake lines and flushed-replaced all the fluids and new set of BT 16's! Your bike looks great!

Great looking R1 you have put together !! Very impressive . . . .

I had the '06 25th Anniversary Edition but sold it. I am with Eric, I can't handle the ergos either.

Heck, even the FZ1 is getting painful for me !! What's a guy to do . . . .? :sinister:

Must resist R1.....weakening!!!!

I got a break from the rain and ended up getting to ride 100ish miles today. I have to admit I MUCH prefer the riding position of this over the FZ1. I had the 1" lower SV risers and it just didn't feel like enough. The leg position on the R1 is probably the most comfortable of the pure sport bikes (for me anyhow, especially compared to the gixxer). I had fun riding and modding the FZ1 but knew in the back of my mind I really wanted a super sport instead. One thing I do miss so far if the fuel gauge. I don't miss the extra weight though, this thing is extremely flickable and almost feels like it's setting itself up through the curves. Oh, I reinstalled the stock 17t sprocket, I felt like I was riding with my hair on fire with the 16t on! It was just too much in the first 3 gears, dropped the RPM 1500 at 65 mph also. I started adjusting the suspension how I like (it was still on factory settings) and dialed it in even more. Here is a baseline I use and make small refinements from here:

Yamaha Sport Bike Motorcycle Suspension Settings - Yamaha Sport Bike Review - Sport Rider Magazine

Notice the row at the bottom for the FZ1 (2011+). ;)

Last edited:
Man, I always wanted a SS bike, but never had one. Now I can't handle them, so the FZ1 will have to do until I have to move to an FJR or Connie 14. I may have to end with a Can-Am Spyder or some other 3 or 4 wheeled thing, but I'll still ride... As they said in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, "I'm not dead yet!"

Enjoy that while you can. I'm happy you can ride like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, I always wanted a SS bike, but never had one. Now I can't handle them, so the FZ1 will have to do until I have to move to an FJR or Connie 14. I may have to end with a Can-Am Spyder or some other 3 or 4 wheeled thing, but I'll still ride... As they said in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, "I'm not dead yet!"

Enjoy that while you can. I'm happy you can ride like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, at 43 years old I know it won't be long until I can't ride one any longer but we'll see! I would love to be like a guy I know here, he is 66 and owns a ZX14, ZX10r, and a turbo GSXR 1000! He's retired and puts around 30,000 miles a year on his bikes. Pretty amazing guy but i'm positive my knee's will say "enough already"! before I make it as long as he has on a sport bike.
Just to add.............I lost 30 lbs so far (since mid March) and it has made a huge difference for me.

Last edited:
The SS bikes are pretty fun but also very tiresome to drive, and especially if you are 1.95 meters high

Have fun with the R1, I'm sure that you will not be changing it very soon!!!

Drive carefully!!

Cheers

Back