Alarm system

I've decided to get another Scorpio alarm for my FZ. I've used a Scorpio on my last four bikes. It served me well and saved my 2004 Superglide from being stolen in the middle of the night in Winslow, Arizona. I was awakened about 2:00 a.m. when the remote went nuts and when I got to the motel window I saw a couple jokers running for their lives jump into their pickup that was parked a few feet from my bike. There is no doubt in my mind that they intended to take my "Glide" with them but the siren took them by surprise and they thought better about it and took off. When I traded the Superglide I put it on a 2006 VRSCD and then an M109R and after that a DL650 where it died last year (wouldn't stop alarming). The newest Scorpio, the SR-i900 is about $400 but if I get as much use out of it as I did my i300, it will be well-spent. I've heard some say that they don't worry about their bike being stolen because they have insurance. There is some substance to that argument, but when you are 2000 miles from home, and alone, who's going to get you back home. I make at least one long trip every year and in a lot of cases I'm traveling alone. Sometimes I'm in Metroplitan areas and sometimes I'm so far out in the boonies the next phone or cell tower is 100 miles away. I'm not such a good walker any more if my wheels get stolen. A good alarm is an investment and usually will cut your insurance a bit.

By the way, Scorpio has a wiring harness for darned near every bike including the FZ1. No need to chop up your wiring harness.

Ditto Don, you gotta see my routine once I get my bike home. I definitely need to get an electronical alarm system installed this Spring. For the moment, I have it locked in the garage. I first bring it in across the width of the garage, across the length of my Nova's rear bumper. I have a 1" diameter thick Kryptonite saw proof cable lock through the rear bumper of the car. The Nova is being restored and is on jackstands with no rear end. Once the bike goes on the center stand, I lock the steering, then bring the end of the cable through the front wheel, through the frame, and back to the bumper to get locked. If they want my bike they will have to take the car with no rear end as well. I know it seems like overkill, and my son laughs at me as I go through this ritual, but I feel more comfortable knowing that the bike is safe. When we go riding far from the house however, I always have to park it within my range of sight. That ruins it if I want to ride to see a movie or something, or shop in a dept. store. Thats why I need to upgrade. I will check out that system and see if it's in the budget.

Check out the new Scorpio i900. With the cable that integrates it to the bike's wiring it's just about $400. The nice thing about the i900 is that it automatically arms or disarms the alarm as you walk away from or towards your bike. On my older unit I had to arm before I left the bike, then remember to disarm when I got back. I don't know how many times I hopped on the thing only to have the alarm go off. Not only does it make you look like an idiot, but it can scare the crap out of you when you don't expect it. The Scorpio unit is all enclosed in one small package only a bout 3/4 " thick. I checked out the area under the seat and it will fit in there OK but may require the removal of the tool kit. The unit can deal with rain and heat but it's got to be in an area where obviously it can't be easlity removed. For some reason the sound of the alarm really freaked out my Collie and Husky. Whenever they would hear me arm the thing all they wanted was out of there. The collie would take off and run a good half mile away. They are loud and must have a frequency that is hard on dog's ears.

Thanks Don, I am definitely going to check it out and hopefully if they ever get me my W-2 Form, I can get those taxes in the mail and get my refund early. I believe that it's money well spent. Also, I'll have to call Geico and see if they offer a savings if I can prove the bike has an integrated alarm system.

Geico Insurance

Thanks Don, I am definitely going to check it out and hopefully if they ever get me my W-2 Form, I can get those taxes in the mail and get my refund early. I believe that it's money well spent. Also, I'll have to call Geico and see if they offer a savings if I can prove the bike has an integrated alarm system.

I just switched from Geico to Nationwide on my bike insurance and saved over $250 a year. I now have my house, car, and FZ1 insured with Nationwide.

Yeah, I know. The problem is that I rent and do not owna home. I only have the car and the bike and it seems that Geico has separate divisions,(Auto and Motorcycle), so they are on different policies. I will have to call Nationwide to see how much it would be for the both. The reason I like Geico is that they have been the cheapest thus far. "Remember, I live in the Bronx, NY", not the safest place on the planet. Also, they allow me to break up my payments into 12 separate montly installments which helps me out financially. It's easier for me to pay once a month. Other companies want lump sums either quarterly or bi-annually. I will check out Nationwide though and see if it's cheaper for me to have the bike and car on the same policy, something that I wished Geico did. Thanks.

Back