AIS Hose Block

cueist

Is doing the AIS Hose Block necessary? I have seen pics of guy blocking the tube to airbox on outside and then the hose that goes to airbox. I saw on where a guy used a marble to do it. I was doing airbox mod and figured why not do it from inside airbox and jsut hook hose back up on outside as it will be blocked also. I'll upload pics of what I did basically just used a 1/2" inside diameterbypass cap and a hose clamp to prevent it from coming off inside airbox. Then I'll just hook up hose on outside like normal. Does this look like it would work. Any opinions greatly appreciated. Thanks cueist

this is a pretty old post but this is something im curious about. when doing the airbox mod are you able to use the stock air filter? i know a k&n would be better but i was just wondering if i could use the stock one in the mean time. and for the ais removal would plugging it in the airbox be as affective. as other methods.

Yes and yes. You can cap just like this person did and save some wrenching to remove the stacks to get the box out. Yes, the stock filter works fine and I even removed the screen from mine as well. A little less restriction!

Last edited:
sweet well i know what im doing after work that and the cat removal... thanks a lot guys. love this forum!

on the gen2 i notice the ais is also the crank case venting system. by plugging it up aren't we preventing crank case pressure from leaving the crank? and therefore increasing our chances of having blown crank and cam seals?

i checked the hose going to the airbox and without the solenoid being powered, the valve is open allowing air from the crank to intake mani. so with the solenoid powered it would be blocking the air...

i went to the store and bought 3 npt plugs. 2 1/2 inch and 1 3/8. I removed the ais and used the 1/2 npt plugs and plugged the hoses and then use a 3/8 to plug the airbox side. taped up the electrical connector to prevent moisture getting inside of it. total cost was 5 bucks and totally reversible without having to worry about damaging the solenoid.

It took me several days of looking in EVERY auto arts store in my area to find this thing. If you go in and ask for a 1/2" bypass cap they look at you like you're crazy. I still don't know what original purpose is but it caps the ais intake perfectly. Yosh TRC with no baffle and gutted cat. No popping. I found it at NAPA auto parts on a miscellaneous parts rack. $2.49 Canadian for a two pack. Easy job and worked like a charm.

So, it is like these? I just did a Google image search.... :D

bypass_caps.jpg

Yep, that's it. The pack I bought had two 1/2" ones. It is a simple way to get the same result as complete ais removal, especially if you just plane the penny/JB Weld option. That seems like alot of work. If you want the ais gone for aesthetic reasons that's different of course. Personally I think it's pretty hidden anyway. And the weight saving is not worth the trouble.

where is the plug

Now that I know where to get the caps, I have a NAPA just up the street. I just need to know where the pump power connection is so I can unplug it. Brad?
Can I reach it without too much disassembly? I will be opening the airbox to cap the tube. I am thinking I will add a bit of thread locker to the hose clamp and will use the more expensive "constant pressure" type clamp. I don't like the idea of it coming loose and going down into a throttle body.

Now that I know where to get the caps, I have a NAPA just up the street. I just need to know where the pump power connection is so I can unplug it. Brad?
Can I reach it without too much disassembly? I will be opening the airbox to cap the tube. I am thinking I will add a bit of thread locker to the hose clamp and will use the more expensive "constant pressure" type clamp. I don't like the idea of it coming loose and going down into a throttle body.

It is very hard to get to. You would need to remove the entire airbox. You will see the connect towards the steering column under the ECU tray along with a bundle of other cables that are retained and connected to one of AIS hoses. It is a white connector (or at least was on my bike). I do not think it can be reached from the front as long as all the AIS components are still intact.

P.S. These bypass plugs are definitely the easiest way to go!

I've done this on many bikes and I'm sure the FZ isn't any different yet I haven't got to the AIS block yet 'cause I have a stock can. On other bikes I've used a suitable vacuum plug on the airbox and a 3/16in fuel line connecting the valves on the valve cover together to stop backfiring with an aftermarket can. Instead of buying the block off plates just throw the fuel line on and you're golden. I've done this mod on 3 bikes that I can recollect and it worked great and it's extremely cheap ;)

I've got a NAPA an Autozone and an Advanced Auto Parts all within a mile of my house. Hopefully one of them will have these types of caps.

So is it necessary to disconnect the AIS motor when capping off the AIS hose?

Guys do yourself a favor and cap the AIS from beneath the airbox. Do you really want to take a chance that somehow that clamp will loosen up and that vacuum cap will end up getting ingested into the engine causing and issue or jamming open the throttle plate. I know the chances are slim, but it could happen...

Back