AIS block off unnecessary on the FZ1N??

I have installed my full carbon Mivv Suono slip-on and am now wondering why everyone blocks off or removes the AIS system.
The popping noise generated by the bike on decel with a slip-on really suits the naked, aggressive look and character of the naked FZ1. I love it.
Why is it that a lot of owners block or remove the AIS system when there is no performance gain to be achieved?

I have installed my full carbon Mivv Suono slip-on and am now wondering why everyone blocks off or removes the AIS system.
The popping noise generated by the bike on decel with a slip-on really suits the naked, aggressive look and character of the naked FZ1. I love it.
Why is it that a lot of owners block or remove the AIS system when there is no performance gain to be achieved?
After a few hours it starts to peck ur head !!! Also when using the bike late at nite the neigbours tend to get a little pissed when ur bike is banging and poppin on decel !! lol
Just personal preference more than anythin

Seth

After a few hours it starts to peck ur head !!! Also when using the bike late at nite the neigbours tend to get a little pissed when ur bike is banging and poppin on decel !! lol
Just personal preference more than anythin

Seth

That's a fair call. I haven't had the bike long enough to really gauge how annoying the popping is. At this point in time it sounds awesome,
bugger the neighbours lol.
Oh and Go Stoner! :)

That's a fair call. I haven't had the bike long enough to really gauge how annoying the popping is. At this point in time it sounds awesome,
bugger the neighbours lol.
Oh and Go Stoner! :)
Yeah it sounds mean but after a LOOOONNNGGGG day with it, it does start to get on ur tits !

Hahahaha what u like with bloody stoner !!
Balls to all of 'em, i'm all for Ben Spies now !! lol

Seth

Hey if you like the popping (and I must admit that it does sound pretty cool sometimes) then don't block it off. I think eventually you will tire of it, but until then "pop" all you want :D

I also have the Suono full carbon. I plugged the AIS hose because I was getting lots of popping. It still pops a little when I get off the throttle quickly. Definitely not as much as when unplugged though.

Well, the AIS blockoff does hurt the environment and the popping is actually good for the air as it is burning more of the excess fuel than if you block the AIS. So, if you are liking the pops and have concerns about raw fuel into the air, then leave it as-is! No harm in doing so to the bike. :tup:

Doubt that very much. The popping is there with the stock exhaust, but you don't hear it.

I hear it. I think the stock exhaust rules, hence my avatar.

edit: wow, I was waiting for the backlash for that comment and never got it. You guys are really swell!

Last edited:
Ok now that I run my Mivv Suono without the baffle the bike pops it's bloody head off so I thought, bugger this I'll block the AIS off.
I used a 13.2mm piece of aluminium rod I turned down at work and pushed it way down the AIS hose and then clamped it. I then installed the hose back into the bottom of the airbox. Mission accomplished.
While I was there I also did the Lars airbox mod but left the stock filter in there for now.
I took the bike for a ride and most of the popping is gone however it still pops a little especially after shutting the throttle from high revs. I assume this is due to fuel cut?
Anyway is it normal for it to still pop a little after doing the AIS block off?

Ok now that I run my Mivv Suono without the baffle the bike pops it's bloody head off so I thought, bugger this I'll block the AIS off.
I used a 13.2mm piece of aluminium rod I turned down at work and pushed it way down the AIS hose and then clamped it. I then installed the hose back into the bottom of the airbox. Mission accomplished.
While I was there I also did the Lars airbox mod but left the stock filter in there for now.
I took the bike for a ride and most of the popping is gone however it still pops a little especially after shutting the throttle from high revs. I assume this is due to fuel cut?

That's all normal, mine does exactly the same and I'm putting it down to the fuel cut. I've got to say though, I don't notice the jerkiness associated with the fuel cut, just the popping :D

Same here. MIVV Suono, Lars airbox mod, Flies removed, AIS plugged. I still get some popping with or without baffle when shutting throttle quickly from high revs. Bike runs pretty smooth however.

The popping sounds cool but every once and a while mine would bang!!! scaring the sh*t out of everyone around me and fellow riders. I blocked off AIS in the airbox, every now and again she will pop & crackle.

On my previous bike (Z1000) I did all the mods you have described. It would still pop a bit but not as bad as with the airline in place. The excessive popping got to be annoying, so doing ther block helped. With the pc3 and custom map/ blocked line it would result in one big, clean pop. I could time it out on decel to really put on a fireworks show, the dual Muzzy's would let out some serious flame. I will have my 08 Fz1 in my hands very soon and will do the ais block pretty much right away, it has a Mivv c/f can and airbox mod already but I don't know if the previous owner blocked the line. The first time I chop the throtttle near redline in 3rd gear should tell the story ;)

Every now and then I would get a loud backfire that would make grown men , women and children take cover in the Chuckee Cheese parking lot. Other than that the little bit of popping never bothered me. I actually thought it sounded tough. Even with AIS totally removed I still get it from time to time.

I'm not happy with the tune of my bike since doing the airbox mod and plugging the AIS. I get pretty loud backfiring now at high revs and the throttle has become more on/off. Fuel cut is very pronounced now.
I assume I need a PCV to tune it up a bit?

I hear it. I think the stock exhaust rules, hence my avatar.

edit: wow, I was waiting for the backlash for that comment and never got it. You guys are really swell!

Right now I am back to stock exhaust. Now that the bike is tuned with Dukes pc3 stage one smoothed map. I have plenty of snap from almost any reasonable RPM. With the highmount can I would still get a crackle on a high RPM/fast shift even with the AIS blocked. You don't hear it at all with the stock exhaust. I have not had the data loggers on the bike with the stock exhaust but the butt dyno feels that this set up is plenty fast enough for the street. I like the stelthyness if the quiet exhaust. At this point both cats and the flies are all stock.

AW

Right now I am back to stock exhaust. Now that the bike is tuned with Dukes pc3 stage one smoothed map. I have plenty of snap from almost any reasonable RPM. With the highmount can I would still get a crackle on a high RPM/fast shift even with the AIS blocked. You don't hear it at all with the stock exhaust. I have not had the data loggers on the bike with the stock exhaust but the butt dyno feels that this set up is plenty fast enough for the street. I like the stelthyness if the quiet exhaust. At this point both cats and the flies are all stock.

AW

I know what you're saying about the stock exhaust, it's nice to have a stealthy exhaust for early morning and weekend rideouts but at the same time, I like the extra noise from the Akrapovic to keep drivers awake during my daily commute.
If the stock can was a bit better looking, I probably wouldn't have bothered changing it! As for the extra performance from the mods, they're probably not of any huge benefit to me most of the time, it's only on trackdays or some rideouts that the extra performance is used.

I've been kinda tempted to go back to stock flies and remove the PCV and just stick with the Akrapovic with a baffle and the AIS blockoff. Probably something I'll experiment with over the winter.

I've been kinda tempted to go back to stock flies and remove the PCV and just stick with the Akrapovic with a baffle and the AIS blockoff. Probably something I'll experiment with over the winter.

Keep the pc5. It has a huge effect. If the flies are intact, just run my free map in the duke files. The stock exhaust is ugly and was the primary reason I went with the highmount.

Back