airbox mod

I have been reading a lot about the airbox mod and finally tried it with a k&n filter. Read that no pc is neccessary. Major decrease in top end power, like it just cuts out!! Low end is fine and runs fine, but something not right on the top end for sure. Ordered a replacement lower airbox and going back to stock, lessons learned!!!! Anyone else experience this??
Tags:

When I had been looking at doing a K&N Filter/Air Box Mod but didn't because I was told you actually do need a PCV. The bike runs too lean in the higher RPMs is what I was told when you improve the air flow that much.

For probably part of the price of the stock airbox you could get the PCV.

My buddy with an FZ1 has a pcv and just the basic 2brother map for stock bike with slip on. We did the airbox mod and AIS delete with stock filter and it ran like crap. Got a new map for him and it runs so damn nice now.

When I had been looking at doing a K&N Filter/Air Box Mod but didn't because I was told you actually do need a PCV. The bike runs too lean in the higher RPMs is what I was told when you improve the air flow that much.

For probably part of the price of the stock airbox you could get the PCV.

This is true from what I understand but losing that much power doesn't make sense. I did mine along with a MIVV, high flow filter, PCV w/ Ivan's map, gutted cat, and my bike woke right up. It hasn't hiccuped at all, it just runs like a raped ape. I am sure that there will be someone here that knows way more about this than I do. Hopefully they can give some technical reason why this is happening.

I have been reading a lot about the airbox mod and finally tried it with a k&n filter. Read that no pc is neccessary. Major decrease in top end power, like it just cuts out!! Low end is fine and runs fine, but something not right on the top end for sure. Ordered a replacement lower airbox and going back to stock, lessons learned!!!! Anyone else experience this??
Tags:

just put stock filter back in

I did the airbox mod right afrer i got the bike, then added slip-on. Bike ran a little lean but no loss of power... i now have pcv, ais block off, no flies, cat gutted and couldnt be happier

I've done the airbox, K&N, flies, ais delete, velocity stacks, headers and slip-on. PCV with the Graves FULL map and this thing runs like a madman right to redline. THIS is the FZ1 I've always wanted!

Does sound more like fuel starvation than an air filter problem. I have had the exact same problem you describe, albeit not on my FZ1, as a result of a blocked fuel filter. Check my recent, or other posts re fuel line kinked. their is a sleeve covering the plastic fuel line so it may not be that obvious at first glance.

Thanks for your replies, I will double check the fuel line, that sounds reasonable that it might be kinked, hope so. Will check that this weekend.

Replace it anyway. There is a great thread on the other forum about this. It's called Blindspot's unthinkable fuel line mod. It's cheap and effective at ensuring it will not kink.

Also keep in mind that the actual stock fuel line is covered by an outer sheath. Just because it appears to be OK does not mean than the inner fuel line isn't pinched.

thank you

Thank all of you for your help, sure enough it was the ever so famous kinked fuel line. Thanks for the tip on the outer sheath, your right you can not tell that it was kinked at all until you feel the line!! What a crappy design and use of material for the fuel line. This should be the number one suggested first modification to this bike. My bike feels alive again, and am very happy with the airbox mod now.... Next up, slip on!! Going with the Delkevic carbon fiber. Seems like you can't beat the value. Thanks again!!

Thank all of you for your help, sure enough it was the ever so famous kinked fuel line. Thanks for the tip on the outer sheath, your right you can not tell that it was kinked at all until you feel the line!! What a crappy design and use of material for the fuel line. This should be the number one suggested first modification to this bike. My bike feels alive again, and am very happy with the airbox mod now.... Next up, slip on!! Going with the Delkevic carbon fiber. Seems like you can't beat the value. Thanks again!!

Glad to hear it was that simple. I still have the stock fuel line on mine, but I'm always very careful when lowering the tank since I know how easily it can kink.

Back