Airbox mod questions?

Hey guys still sort of a newbie here and have some questions. So I have been reading a little bit about the airbox mod and have thought about doing it on my bike. First question is it ok to do on a carbed bike. and also if im understanding the whole concept of the mod, is the whole point to increase airflow? If so would it be the same thing to just pull out the stock airbox and just replace with some pod filters? let me know if im thinking right or if im messed up here.

thanks

Jan 2010 Cycle World has a similar tech question and they say keep the air box to prevent a low thru mid rpm flat spot with carbs. This wasn't an FZ1 but boxes are always designed to help noise levels and stop negative intake pulses from messing with fuel delivery. I might try proven mods to the air box to increase high rpm flow but putting individual filters on the carbs isn't good unless you can rejet on a dyno and even then the box could still be better.

Jan 2010 Cycle World has a similar tech question and they say keep the air box to prevent a low thru mid rpm flat spot with carbs. This wasn't an FZ1 but boxes are always designed to help noise levels and stop negative intake pulses from messing with fuel delivery. I might try proven mods to the air box to increase high rpm flow but putting individual filters on the carbs isn't good unless you can rejet on a dyno and even then the box could still be better.

Thanks for the Info.

if you are going to do an airbox mod -- you need to rejet the bike---otherwise you will create a lean condition. You can accomplish this with just a slip-on jet kit.

If you go Pods, then you'll need a different needle setup/ported boots/maybe full exhaust/and timing advance to squeeze the last bit out..

Ivan is one source for you jetting/pod needs needs.

If your boots are decent, it is easy to port them yourself....and save yourself the cost of having them done for you.....180 for new boots/ported....

Ivan's Website

Last edited:
Back